Mega Man World DX, a colorized romhack by Marc Robledo, has been released

thumbnail.jpg

The Mega Man Game Boy series (known in Japan as Rockman World) have been some of the most underrated games in the Mega Man franchise, more so since many of the GB titles were pseudo-ports of the NES counterparts, pushing people towards playing the NES titles instead.

However, in the case of Mega Man V, or Rockman World 5 (and in this instance, Mega Man World 5), is the exception, and instead that title features a brand new storyline alongside unique levels, assets, bosses and weapons, while the previous 4 titles before it reused levels and bosses from the NES titles. An underlooked gem that is usually considered one of the best games in the classic series, and one of the best platformers in Game Boy, taking quite a bit of unexpected turns, and it certainly is one of the games that truly deserves a proper colorization effort.

Marc Robledo, a renowned romhacker who has worked in other colorization projects for the Game Boy, such as Dr. Mario DX, Amazing Penguin DX and the color restoration for the GBA port of Donkey Kong Country, with the collaborative effort of Kensu, who worked on the graphics and palettes for the colorization, released a hack that turns the original Game Boy Mega Man World 5 game into a full Game Boy Color game!

Features:
  • Fully colorized game, trying to make it as faithful as possible to NES game
  • Making the most of CGB double speed mode thus getting rid of almost all slowdown in the original game!
  • NES styled pause screen
  • Some game original code parts rewritten
  • Some tilesets modified in order to take advantage of all available palettes
  • Works in real hardware and emulators
  • Renamed to Mega Man World 5 DX (the original japanese name)
History:
After releasing Dr. Mario DX, I really wanted to try on a bigger project. Work officialy started on December 2020 and a lot of progress was made in very little time.
However, the game code is very complex and sadly found a lot of obstacles that slowed everything down.
On November 2021, the hack was fully rewritten from scratch, hoping it would help to revive the project. But it wasn't until May 2022 when I finally overcame the biggest challenge on this hack and resumed work at last!
I don't really want to know how many hundreds (maybe thousands already?) I've spent on this. But in the end, I hope it will be worth it! :-)

7413screenshot4.png
7413screenshot1.png
7413screenshot2.png
7413screenshot3.png

:arrow: Download

Attachments

• thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 104
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    507.9 KB · Views: 116

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe i'm wrong but can someone correct me? Is the gameboy color... color better than a NES or is it the same as game gear or Neo geo pocket color? 🤔

In my personal experience, I figured the gameboy was mostly supposed to be similar to nes. Similar to how the Sega Game gear was a portable Sega master system. But I guess the gameboy color pushed it a bit further with the newer hardware released in 1998 than the old grey brick looking gameboy from 1989. Neo Geo Pocket Color also came out around the same time in 1999, but the games I seen on there doesn't seem much more impressive than gameboy color comparing the color palettes. (Also most neo geo pocket color games run at 30fps and not 60fps unlike gameboy color) :ninja:

urbanman2004

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe i'm wrong but can someone correct me? Is the gameboy color... color better than a NES or is it the same as game gear or Neo geo pocket color? 🤔

In my personal experience, I figured the gameboy was mostly supposed to be similar to nes. Similar to how the Sega Game gear was a portable Sega master system. But I guess the gameboy color pushed it a bit further with the newer hardware released in 1998 than the old grey brick looking gameboy from 1989. Neo Geo Pocket Color also came out around the same time in 1999, but the games I seen on there doesn't seem much more impressive than gameboy color comparing the color palettes. (Also most neo geo pocket color games run at 30fps and not 60fps unlike gameboy color) :ninja:
It's an original GameBoy game w/ a color palette added (made for GameBoy Color) making it a "DX" version [akin to "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX" or "Pocket Bomberman (DX)"; both of which I own the physical copy of]. The game runs at 60fps which can be witnessed on the screenshots from my previous comment.

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's an original GameBoy game w/ a color palette added (made for GameBoy Color) making it a "DX" version [akin to "The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX" or "Pocket Bomberman (DX)"; both of which I own the physical copy of]. The game runs at 60fps which can be witnessed on the screenshots from my previous comment.
Thank you, but none of that answers my question.

Is the gameboy color's... color palette better than a NES or is it the same as game gear or Neo geo pocket color?

ShadowOne333

QVID PRO QVO
OP
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
You forgot to put the URLs for the other mentioned hacks in instead of the word "URL", nice news tho :toot:

Yeah sorry, I had the draft of the exclusive article ready for copying, but I didn't count with the hack being released near midnight and in Christmas eve 😂

I did it all in mobile (and out of town) and the page kept refreshing on me, erasing the text each time, so I just got to fixing everything.

Reactions: hippy dave

Sonic Angel Knight

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I did it all in mobile (and out of town) and the page kept refreshing on me, erasing the text each time, so I just got to fixing everything.
I used to write reviews on my android tv using a game pad controller for everything, event typing. The pain is shared a bit here. :ninja:

BLsquared

Game Programmer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been waiting for someone to do this for so long! I've even tried, but I never got very far lol. So excited and over the moon for this. Also low key hope he goes back to give 4 the same treatment, it definitely deserves it, despite the reused assets (which is only like half of that game tbh).

Is Megaman World 5 the best in the GB series?

Edit: I only have Rockman World 1 and 2
In my opinion, 4 is narrowly the best of the GB titles (and is my favorite game in the whole classic series), with 5 a super duper close second. And then the others are a bit behind them. 4 is a more polished game than 5 (which was clearly rushed), but 5 makes up for it in the original content. I'm sorry to hear you've only played 1 and 2 because those are the worst of them xD.
Post automatically merged:

The color quality is better than the Neo Geo Pocket Color most of the time due to having much fewer sprite pallette limitations. Comparing it to the NES is hard, though. I'd have to do more research for that one.

Last edited by BLsquared,
Reactions: Sonic Angel Knight

Osha

Weh
Trophies
XP
Country
France

From what I'm seeing, the NES is limited to 56 colours, with 25 being allowed on screen at any given time, while the GBC could technically handle 32,768. Not to say it could display all of these at once, it's still limited to 56, but there were a lot of palettes available allowing for a lot of flexibility. So yeah, the GBC flexes pretty hard on the NES on that aspect

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But that was an official game, I think.
I believe it was originally a fan made game that Capcom subsequently funded and released as a 25th anniversary freebie.
I think all of the official links are long gone, but it can still be found on the Internet Archive if you search "Street Fighter X Mega Man v2.0 [Win]".

Zerus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Does anyone know the name of a mega man X styled mod that had Zero as the MC? It was in development for a while and I remember seeing a trailer for it this year but the name escapes me

Edit: found it

Last edited by Zerus,

_Snow_

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Man I love these colorized GB rom hacks we've seen in recent years. And this one is fantastic to see. But I feel like I'm going crazy, how has no one tackled Donkey Kong '94 yet?
That would be nice. Replaying that game via Super Gameboy now. Very fun.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: aeiou