Hacking MT-Card to be released in 3 days

aXXo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is that Chinese card that supposedly supports multirom?
Apparently it's features that are listed on the website's homepage are:

1) Hardware design of flexible, build-in CPU with card, upgradable new functions via USB. (it has a built-in CPU? Don't all cards have that already?)
2) Support multiROM, support SDHC card, support up to 256 games, selecting game in Menu or by pressing key. (this is pretty much the only thing that they have shown the card to be able to do in their video)
3) Support FAT32, drag and drop, no need of diskimager. (they didn't show this in their video)
4) Save to TF directly, no need of pressing home to backup SAVE. (they didn't show this either in their video)
5) Support SaveEditor, NAND-emulate and Card-dump soon. (I'm guessing emunand is out of the question for now. So I guess it can only firmware spoof like the early Gateways, meaning that you won't be able to get 7.1 emunand and use the nintendo eShop. This might be because the card has radically different hardware then the Gateway and the MT team just can't copy-paste emunand code from Gateway in their card.)

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Apparently it's features that are listed on the website's homepage are:

1) Hardware design of flexible, build-in CPU with card, upgradable new functions via USB. (it has a built-in CPU? Don't all cards have that already?)
2) Support multiROM, support SDHC card, support up to 256 games, selecting game in Menu or by pressing key. (this is pretty much the only thing that they have shown the card to be able to do in their video)
3) Support FAT32, drag and drop, no need of diskimager. (they didn't show this in their video)
4) Save to TF directly, no need of pressing home to backup SAVE. (they didn't show this either in their video)
5) Support SaveEditor, NAND-emulate and Card-dump soon. (I'm guessing emunand is out of the question for now. So I guess it can only firmware spoof like the early Gateways, meaning that you won't be able to get 7.1 emunand and use the nintendo eShop. This might be because the card has radically different hardware then the Gateway and the MT team just can't copy-paste emunand code from Gateway in their card.)

3) they showed the sd card in a computer with the rom files on it, so they showed, that multiple games work just by putting them on the sd card
5) I suppose NAND-emulate is their equivalent term for emuNAND, so I dont understand why you would think, they wouldnt have emuNAND support. ok they said soon, but probably wont take long to copy the gateway code

edit
WiiUBricker
their video showed it working on 4.5, so probably no 5.x+ support, its still the same old exploit

D

Deleted User

But will it run Crysis support firmwares above 4.5? :tpi:

I dont think so as if you look at the vid it looks more like v4 (most likely but could be different) as it is missing miiverse icon plus why need NAND Emulate if v7 compatible?

D

Deleted User

No. If it did, that would have been its main features advertised on their website, and would have been in the list of features I just posted in the post before yours.

Well the website looks very dodgy soo far

TwilightWarrior

GBATEMP'S Official Boss
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Way to contribute and add to the conversation. Are you usually this useful in real life?

Yeah I can see how it could appear like that. But consider (as I said) I am from the U.S. and am speaking in perfect English. If I was from China, of course this post would be a major red flag (lol pun not intended?). I just saw there was no thread discussing the imminent release of the cart and figured I'd try to inform those unaware, that's all. Why am I not surprised to see GW fanboys immediately accuse me of being a shill (hypocritically, they are the ones doing all the GW shilling)?

Yeah I'd rather wait a bit before biting the bullet. I don't believe it is a clone, as it it supports features unavailable to GW. It may however borrow upon the source and improve on it, which is totally encouraged in many dev circles.

dude, it doesnt matter if you speak perfect english, that has to do with nothing, the fact that your'e even claiming that you speak perfect english makes me more suspicious, so what I basically want to say is "OH BE QUIET". And WTF did u call the guy a GWboy that made no sense

aXXo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
3) they showed the sd card in a computer with the rom files on it, so they showed, that multiple games work just by putting them on the sd card
5) I suppose NAND-emulate is their equivalent term for emuNAND, so I dont understand why you would think, they wouldnt have emuNAND support. ok they said soon, but probably wont take long to copy the gateway code
I'm guessing that it won't have emunand right our of the box, and that function might be released in a few weeks/months. I also seriously doubt they solved the whole nandsave problem with games like Pokemon XY and Animal crossing. Also, my mistake on the whole "didn't show drag and drop". I watched the video several days ago and forgot that part and didn't want to watch more stupid Chinese advertisements.

chadderbox77

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This card will be great if it does come out. I already own a gateway and an R4i deluxe, so I'll add this to my collection also.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
i bet Gateway will just steal there launcher.dat and change it there code so rarther than the button on the card press to change the rom it uses the L and R buttons or something
No way in hell. Gateway already has multirom and NAND saving in their internal beta. Which is what makes the sudden appearance of the MT card after the release of 2.02b so suspicious. Doubly so considering that they have no firmware available for download on their site right now. If that isn't put up for customers before the release of GW's 2.0, then I think we'll know exactly what's going on here.

Thanks OP for the thread. I don't think you are a shill. Of course the slightly more rabid supporters of Gateway (which I have 2 of by the way - carts not rabid supporters) will now accuse me of being one as well. I will keep an eye on the new carts as they come out and will support a new one if it offers a superior feature set.

If it turns out that the MT card or any other new one has working, worthwhile features that Gateway is unable to match then I am sure most of the 'Gateboys' will jump to the better carts when finances permit and will probably then start whining about how Gateway never delivered the product they paid for.

I still have an old DS XTREME cart floating around somewhere and it too had its fair share of die-hard rabid, attack anything else, fanboys.
Oh, definitely. I have no loyalty based on brand name alone. Just on the original work the teams are doing. If it turns out MT is developing differing features from the GW at the same time/alongside them, then I'll gladly buy an MT card and use whichever becomes most convenient/reliable. It'll take some time before that becomes apparent to regular users like us, but heck, I need to at least receive my GW in the mail first, anyway. :P

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Wow, I wasn't expecting a new team to beat Gateway to MultiROM support like that. Even if Gateway release it around the same time, they won't have the quick-switch button on the cart which can be handy.
Of course they could just hook into button presses in the home menu instead as smea has already proven that running unsigned code in the background is very possible.

The claim that they can save directly to SD, plus the fact that they said NAND emulation isn't coming out yet, makes it sound like they're not simply copying Gateway's work. But it will be interesting to see if those two will be worthy competitors or whether one will race ahead of the other.

falcon212

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
If GW would have multirom support, I REALLY prefer not to do it with card switch like MTcard. Pressing buttons combination while on home screen would be a perfect way to do it (Which I honestly doubt GW able to alter and make a shortcut in homebutton) - The best I can think right now is to choose the rom from GW Menu screen.

But we will see !

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
If GW would have multirom support, I REALLY prefer not to do it with card switch like MTcard. Pressing buttons combination while on home screen would be a perfect way to do it (Which I honestly doubt GW able to alter and make a shortcut in homebutton) - The best I can think right now is to choose the rom from GW Menu screen.

But we will see !
They don't have to alter much 3DS-side - a button combination press can be a hook used by the cart's microcontroller to switch "partitions" on the SD card that's pretending to be the game's storage chip. I'm saying partitions to make it relatively understandable, but really, it'd just be a different value for the starting point and filesize - you can generate a table for those. MT is likely doing just that, except instead of a console-side hook, it's using a button on the actual cartridge which saves them a lot of dev time.

Reactions: rooshoes

Nismax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not saying they weren't going to anyway, but if Gateway doesn't release their 2.0 FW before New Years as stated and expected, or 2.0 still does not support multirom, there's going to be a lot of disappointed customers and potential customers.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Not saying they weren't going to anyway, but if Gateway doesn't release their 2.0 FW before New Years as stated and expected, or 2.0 still does not support multirom, there's going to be a lot of disappointed customers and potential customers.
None of which will go to MT if they don't release their firmware on their site. The hesitance there is quite suspicious. If they were writing their own code, you'd think they'd want to show it off and let advanced users analyze it for similarities to GW's.

corim123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
None of which will go to MT if they don't release their firmware on their site. The hesitance there is quite suspicious. If they were writing their own code, you'd think they'd want to show it off and let advanced users analyze it for similarities to GW's.
Why would they want to publicize their code before their product is launched? There's nothing to run it on and would only give other teams more time to analyze how their code works.

Nismax

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

That's completely false. Doesn't matter much whose base code it is, the customers want functionality. If the MT supports multirom, and there still is no Gateway FW that does, people definitely would migrate to MT. Especially considering the lack of updates and news from the team that is Gateway. I'm being reminded of the Supercard and M3 days. Technically the M3 did come first, though it was literally just a media player. But Supercard was technically the first flash card based "backup" device for the GBA. People loved the Supercard, even though the RAM was slow. But then M3 comes along and releases the M3 Perfecto and basically blew the Supercard out of the water.

I don't see much that's suspicious about not releasing the firmware for everyone to analyze. In fact, maybe that's proof that is is entirely new and innovative. As someone who does fucking amazing innovative, things that have never been done before, I totally get that. I've never released pictures or information online about any of my projects which fit that description. Why? Because the world is full of biters and copycats, people who will take the idea or concept and pass it off as their own.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Why would they want to publicize their code before their product is launched? There's nothing to run it on and would only give other teams more time to analyze how their code works.
If it is original code, then they're going to have copycats regardless. It seems like they're more nervous about their code being discovered as clone.

That's completely false. Doesn't matter much whose base code it is, the customers want functionality. If the MT supports multirom, and there still is no Gateway FW that does, people definitely would migrate to MT. Especially considering the lack of updates and news from the team that is Gateway.
It does matter for the sake of timing. If GW 2.0 is released before MT card, then it's going to be called a clone, regardless of whether it is or not. And if GW 2.0 releases only a week or so afterward, that's not enough time to establish a decent marketshare for MT, doubly so if they turn out to be just another clone charging the same price as the original.

There's certainly been no lack of updates from GW. It's been what? A week since the last one?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    NinStar @ NinStar: because I already got burned out with breath of the wild, which for the most part is essentially...