Microsoft will debut an all-digital Xbox Series X refresh next year, according to leaked documents

brooklin.png

A new leak has let the cat out of the bag, when it comes to what new hardware Microsoft has in store. Regarding the ongoing Microsoft and FTC court battle over Activision Blizzard, some new classified documents have been leaked. While much of the court document was redacted, certain parts were mistakenly left available for public view, including detailed images and information about upcoming refreshes to the Xbox Series line of consoles.

The leaked roadmap shows that Microsoft plans on releasing a "slim" refresh of the Xbox Series X, with the working name of Project Brooklin. It'll boast more storage, a different physical design, better power usage, a new controller, and some improved internals over the original Xbox Series X. The system will also be digital only.

loPt4m6.png sebile.png stats.png

Project Sebile is the codename for the updated Xbox controller, which sees Bluetooth 5.2, a rechargeable battery, modular thumbstick, and an accelerometer, among other things. Also noted within the document is a "Project Ellewood", which will be a 1TB console, with a retail price of $299.99, presumably the upgraded version of the Xbox Series S, featuring more storage, better Wi-Fi, and reduced power consumption. Additionally, "Edith", another codename for what appears to be the Xbox Series S, will be priced at $199 for Black Friday to push sales for the older system. Meanwhile, Microsoft plans to announce the "end of life" for Starkville, though it's not specified for what system that may be.

time.png

While things may change, and the document might be out of date by now, as it was originally shown to the FTC in October 2022, the graph shows that Microsoft plans on releasing the new Xbox controller sometime in May or June of 2024, with the announcement of both Project Ellewood and Brooklin to follow shortly after. An actual release timeframe for the Xbox Series S refresh is set for the end of August 2024, and the Xbox Series X refresh to follow shortly at the end of October 2024.

:arrow: Source

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So I guess this can't placed on its side? Do they realize that many people have media cabinets with shelves that aren't tall enough for this?

Obveron

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Physical media had already died when complete games can no longer run or fully install from them. If your gamedisk requires a download before the game will work, then it is nothing more than DRM.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That looks like a portable air humidifier/mosquito killer.

What the hell is with these modern console designs.

PS5 - Huge router
Xbox One Original - VCR
Xbox Series S - Music box
Xbox Series X - Mini PC tower
Xbox Series X Digital - Portable air humidifier

Reactions: _47iscool

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The optical drive, and backwards compatibility, were the strongest reasons for me to consider an Xbox series console over a ps5 if I was to even buy such a console at all.

Literally, if it were possible to upgrade storage via bog standard nvme storage rather than the proprietary mess going on right now, ps5 wouldn't even be in the conversation, unless by some Hail Mary, the ability to jailbreak the system were easy enough to do on any shipping unit. But as we saw with the ps3, that becomes entirely arbitrary. And a ps5 is too costly to just go buy a bunch until finding one that actually effing works.

Removing the ability to pop old games in at my leisure, is erasing any incentive to bother with the console at all.

Sir Tortoise

Trophies
XP
Country
What part of all-digital is "adorable"? Granted I don't envy the job of those tasked to make reduced functionality sound attractive, but "adorably all-digital"? Hah

Reactions: alexfree

kevin corms

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You will own nothing and like it.

EDIT:
Where the hell do you put this thing? "Innovative new design" - makes sense that they've never seen a trash can where this design belongs.
You already own nothing with console games. Even a disk is just a license to play a game, generally only works on specific hardware they eventually stop making. I could see a lot of people going for this, like it or not but physical media is almost dead for consoles. The only platform that keeps games alive is pc, and that is because of the open nature (for now) and games that actually dont have drm (all console games always have drm in 2023).

Last edited by kevin corms,

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The steamdeck is all digital and people love it.
The only argument in favor of the steam deck, is that it's open enough to allow content from other storefronts to be installed and run on it.

No console maker allows that. And that is precisely why, nobody should trust an all digital console. Or, enforce a condition where they *have* to allow third party stores to be available to a digital console. Only then could one see some head way into making them tolerable.

stanleyopar2000

RIP Yuzu. "It is always morally correct..."
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
So the better performing Xbox will be digital only.

What a shit load of fuck
Post automatically merged:

The steamdeck is all digital and people love it.

While that is true mostly….technically ”all digital” is incorrect. With a steam deck dock, up can hook up an optical drive and use physical media.

slaphappygamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All digital consoles are great……until the servers close. It’ll happen, but the there will be a new console…so people will want the new shiny (or matte) one. The Art of Distraction HEY LOOK, A SQUIRREL is a great tool that parents use.

Reactions: CoolMe

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
MS are killing it with this new xbox model, which is allegedly a fridge & an air purifier all in one. What a deal..

Last edited by CoolMe,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto