Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
ugh everyone hates it, get over it; the OS is good so why can't you people accept change. The OS works and it's better than 7, moreover your start menu is there, it's just a GUI now.

sheesh babies
Oh, please. If it WAS just the start menu, you would not have multi-page articles like this.
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/windows-8.html
There's problems with the whole UI, not just the lack of a start menu.

Hell, with Vista/7 I got used to the "windows key, then type the first few letters of the program" workflow anyways. I can deal with the lack of a visible start menu if I can access all my programs in a similar manner, using shortcuts... it's the rest of the changes that are keeping me away. Being able to run multiple programs on the same screen and drag information (and file references) back and forth is important to the workflow of many people (hell, the ui for the Texas Instrument calculator file manager on the PC literally REQUIRES that file references be dragged into it to work, there's no "open" menu).

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
Oh, thank you kind Microsoft. 2 of my Windows 8 copies are indistinguishable from a boxed edition from a shop. Even office 2013 didn't require activation, it just worked. I have to say I like the way M$ is buttfucking people that pay for win8, when there's so many ways to get it for free/for prices much lower than a box.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh, thank you kind Microsoft. 2 of my Windows 8 copies are indistinguishable from a boxed edition from a shop. Even office 2013 didn't require activation, it just worked. I have to say I like the way M$ is buttfucking people that pay for win8, when there's so many ways to get it for free/for prices much lower than a box.

"Microsoft is buttfucking people because there's loopholes to get it cheaper."

Did I read this right?

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Wow.... just wow. O.o

lismati

Speedrunner in practice
Trophies
Website
www.wiiplanet.info
XP
Country
Poland
Obviously, you should never hold sales or promotions in case you'll hurt early adopters' feelings.

Maybe I used a bit to harsh wording. (Note to self, never post right after getting out of bed)
Still, I think that it's unfair to charge money for something that can be perfectly legally obtained for free.
This statement may be unclear, so let me put it this way:
Help guy from a Microsoft store tries to sell you Windows 8 with a new PC, I bet he doesn't say anything like "Here, buy this box, it's ultra cheap, only like what, 60 bucks? Of course you can get an update to Windows 8 Pro for 15 bucks if you have a Windows 8 key, but who would do that? And there's a special link, that you can click to get a license key for Media Center straight from Microsoft for an astonishing sum of 0 dollars. In conclusion, buy a box, greatest decision of your life"

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe I used a bit to harsh wording. (Note to self, never post right after getting out of bed)
Still, I think that it's unfair to charge money for something that can be perfectly legally obtained for free.
Help guy from a Microsoft store tries to sell you Windows 8 with a new PC, I bet he doesn't say anything like "Here, buy this box, it's ultra cheap, only like what, 60 bucks? Of course you can get an update to Windows 8 Pro for 15 bucks if you have a Windows 8 key, but who would do that? And there's a special link, that you can click to get a license key for Media Center straight from Microsoft for an astonishing sum of 0 dollars. In conclusion, buy a box, greatest decision of your life"
Except you obviously didn't read the actual article. This is NOT a legitimate way to obtain Windows 8 and is considered just as illegal as every other pirated piece of software out there.

1NOOB

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've got mine since some time already , even got a spare key just in case . It works well so far and I'm not sure how can microsoft know if they give unique key to everyone... thanks microsoft?

Jamstruth

Secondary Feline Anthropomorph
Trophies
XP
Country
It's a loophole. An oversight in Microsoft's security that they need to close. You still are supposed to pay money for it. Easiest way to close the loophole would be to only let Activated copies download it rather than these temporary ones. Also your analogy makes no sense.

Reactions: Wizerzak
D

Deleted User

ugh everyone hates it, get over it; the OS is good so why can't you people accept change. The OS works and it's better than 7, moreover your start menu is there, it's just a GUI now.

sheesh babies
Better than win 7. lol nice one, I have win 8 (a legal version) and it doesn't work better than win 7.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its a loophole. An oversight in Microsoft's security that they need to close. You still are supposed to pay money for it. Easiest way to close the loophole would be to only let Activated copies download it rather than these temporary ones. Also your analogy makes no sense.
Except for the 180-day timer, a KMS-activated Windows 8 is just as activated as a retail-activated Windows 8, so there's no much Microsoft can do about it as far as I know. It should also be noted that there are ways to activate Windows 8 with the free WMC key without having to activate Windows 8 first.

Minox

Thanks for the fish
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Even if Microsoft would start giving away Windows 8 for free I would not feel like switching from Windows 7. Some of the features they've introduced in Windows 8 looks pretty sweet, but at the same time they've also included "features" that cripples previously convenient ways of doing things.

Oww why okay do as you like I know that apple is some what hated but what can I do they are good and really expensive.
It has nothing to do with hating Apple so much as it has to do with you coming into a topic highly related to Windows 8 and then all of a sudden starting to talk about how lovely your Mac is. That is by definition off-topic.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Laid at the party is fun unless you're in prison lol