Steam dropping support for Windows 7 and 8 starting on 2024

1680015397185.jpeg

Windows 7 and Windows 8 both met their dire ends on January 10th, 2023, with Microsoft ending support for both operating systems on that day, focusing entirely on Windows 10 and Windows 11 going forward. It was only expected that other kind of software and/or services would follow suit and also drop support for those operating systems.

Steam is also dropping support for Windows 7 and Windows 8 starting on January 1st, 2024. The Steam Client will stop running on those two Windows versions, encouraging their user base to update to a more recent version of Windows, Windows 10 or Windows 11. Steam cites that the main reason for the dropped support is for the reliance on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which also doesn't work on older versions of Windows, as well as relying on security updates which only exist starting in Windows 10.

Here's Steam's official statement from their website:

Windows 7 and Windows 8 Support

As of January 1 2024, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems. After that date, the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.

The newest features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 10 and above.

:arrow: Source

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Suggesting user-unfriendly Linux to people when the majority barely understand the basics of Windows is amusing at best. Linux sucks and will never catch up to Windows. Ever. Been hearing about it's big takeover for over 30 years now. Still waiting.

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

jeffyTheHomebrewer

Neato Burrito!
Trophies
Website
catboybeebop.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
its time to let Windows 7 go. its 2023 people, theres a wealth of newer and more secure options out now.
unless you're using some netbook which cant run anything newer, in which case... what fucking games are you palying on steam?
half-life 2, inscryption, ultrakill... even gmod!

Jacobh

Trophies
XP
Country
Windows 8 came out over 10 years ago. Pretty much anything that can run Windows 8 can run Windows 10 (including Atom based netbooks). There have been ample opportunities to update for free over the years. I don’t see any issues with this move.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if your laptop doesn't support vulkan... at that point just start saving up for a new PC, there's no helping you out of this hole you got yourself in lmao
I'm using an Asus notebook with Intel Celeron and I know it's far from ideal, but as far as a budget handheld computer, it's fine for me got no issues with it.

Oddly enough, with Windows 10 Home/Pro it was sluggish, but with Windows 10 LTSC it runs smoothly and fast. I guess it's the shitty bloatware Microsoft included with it. I'm gonna miss this edition when I'll no longer use it (by 2029) because it's as user friendly and clean as possible while the rest has crap I never agreed to have installed.
Post automatically merged:

Windows 8 came out over 10 years ago. Pretty much anything that can run Windows 8 can run Windows 10 (including Atom based netbooks). There have been ample opportunities to update for free over the years. I don’t see any issues with this move.
True for Windows 8.

Thing about Windows 7 is that it was such a solidly built OS that it's a sad day for users to downgrade it to a newer Windows OS.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    straferz @ straferz: Anybody know why this is happening to my ACWW town...