Steam dropping support for Windows 7 and 8 starting on 2024

1680015397185.jpeg

Windows 7 and Windows 8 both met their dire ends on January 10th, 2023, with Microsoft ending support for both operating systems on that day, focusing entirely on Windows 10 and Windows 11 going forward. It was only expected that other kind of software and/or services would follow suit and also drop support for those operating systems.

Steam is also dropping support for Windows 7 and Windows 8 starting on January 1st, 2024. The Steam Client will stop running on those two Windows versions, encouraging their user base to update to a more recent version of Windows, Windows 10 or Windows 11. Steam cites that the main reason for the dropped support is for the reliance on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which also doesn't work on older versions of Windows, as well as relying on security updates which only exist starting in Windows 10.

Here's Steam's official statement from their website:

Windows 7 and Windows 8 Support

As of January 1 2024, Steam will officially stop supporting the Windows 7, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1 operating systems. After that date, the Steam Client will no longer run on those versions of Windows. In order to continue running Steam and any games or other products purchased through Steam, users will need to update to a more recent version of Windows.

The newest features in Steam rely on an embedded version of Google Chrome, which no longer functions on older versions of Windows. In addition, future versions of Steam will require Windows feature and security updates only present in Windows 10 and above.

:arrow: Source

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep. That and while I'm fine with dealing with Linux for a server (in my case, OpenMediaVault) I'd rather stick with Windows for daily-driver stuff.
My friends and others I knew who wanted to switch just started trying out other software. I never really had the issue for the most part just due to never using software that was unusable.

Last edited by Ryab,
Reactions: jeffyTheHomebrewer

FlitPix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm pretty sure Photoshop CS6 and Vegas Pro 14 won't run under Wine, and I don't feel like trying to compile things like aseprite or paint.net myself. That and a fair bit of homebrew tools I use are Windows-only and again, may not work in Wine.
I'll upgrade from 7 when I'm dead. Or get a new machine.
These apps have alternatives. I understand not wanting to learn new workflows though so it's ultimately up to you

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Working in IT, it makes me cringe how many people still use Windows 7 as a daily driver. I love Windows 7 (and XP) but I wouldn't touch either with a 10 foot pole on a live network. That's asking for your accounts to be hacked and your bank account drained.
you can still bank on 98se no the big issue is people fall for ADs=Safe when that is 99.9% the vector of infection STILL more than open candy or going to sketchy sites. Flash died not because of vulnerabilities but because Ads delivered BS along side them. Always block ads its morally and technically right. OS doesnt matter if anything newer OS are targetted higher than old OS by viruses.

Atomyiik

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
ocfrom.neocities.org
XP
Country
United States
Many prebuilt PCs and cases don't have BD or DVD drives or support for them anymore, largely due to the fact software is almost exclusively digital now. Streaming is so popular there's really now people don't really need to play DVDs or Blu-Rays on their computer, and DVD players are cheap now, as are some Blu-Ray players (a PS3 makes a great Blu-Ray player for cheap, IIRC the Sony ones including PS3/PS4 and likely PS5 are the only ones that support overlaying closed captions onto a digital signal). It sucks, but between consumers supporting digital only on PC and Steam basically acting as an all-in-one marketplace and installer with DRM (even really basic) making publishers favor it, it was only a matter of time before optical drives "disappeared".
Wow, I really haven't noticed that. I'm currently using a pre-built that has both a CD/DVD drive and a bunch of USB ports. While I mostly download software and really only use the drive to rip CDs/DVDs, I thought optical discs and digital downloads co-existed.

Guacaholey

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow, I really haven't noticed that. I'm currently using a pre-built that has both a CD/DVD drive and a bunch of USB ports. While I mostly download software and really only use the drive to rip CDs/DVDs, I thought optical discs and digital downloads co-existed.
They did like 8 years ago. The really popular prebuilts you see on Amazon definitely don't have an optical drive. I bought an external Blu-Ray writer because of how uncommon optical drives are becoming.

xdarkmario

Philosopher
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I saw the miserable end for windows starting in windows 10. every update was a fight to keep the pc the way i wanted. and support being dropped for older windows as well as features i use to like being removed. last year i switched to linux as my primary and fell in love with linux.
cover.jpg

Last edited by xdarkmario,

sombrerosonic

Idiot machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
as i already said, dont spread false informations, just because u have no clue about the topic and refuse to inform yourself propertly.
Bro look at your self my man. you said this phrase 3 times in your argument...... 3 times my man

for office, since ms only offers office 365 these days, there are several options. like the webbased version, or using office 365 with Wine which runs flawlessly. but there are also several powerfull alternatives to ms products, which many companys already decided to choose to cut costs.

Once again, Wine has shown several times that it has issues. Just saying it's "Plug and Play" and that "it just works" when it has issues with alot of apps. Like i said before, wine has issues. ive met linux users who can't ditch windows because of wine being so much ass. im going to quote Guacholey here with this.
It's stuff like Pro Tools and Adobe software that has no support natively or via WINE, you know, the industry standard stuff that keeps us on Windows. There's stuff like Reaper, Ardour (and Mixbus), Blender, DaVinci Resolve, Lightworks, GIMP, LMMS, etc. that all work natively or via WINE but they don't have the same market share or compatibility (or workflow).

Linux (The Kernel) is a great, don't get me wrong, but the vast majority aren't gonna use linux for a few reasons, as windows is bundel into most PC's nowaday as well as it being so fucking easy to use on most system.

Im not gonna continue with this this convo, sombrero out.

Last edited by sombrerosonic,

RedColoredStars

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I hear this argument made all the time. Have you ever even tried any distro?

There are loads ranging from "idk shit" to "I am Linus incarnate"

Talk shit about Linux all you want, it's clearly not for everyone and not at all a solution to what's being discussed here but the claim it's ALL user unfriendly at this point is baseless nonsense.

If you can't figure out how to "use" Linux then you have bigger problems. There's nothing to figure out.

No. Never tried any distros. Never. I just come here as a person who has never tried ANY version of Linux whatsoever and blindly talks shit about it. I mean. Did you bother to think for one second before posting such stupid drivel? Obviously not. And I personally know how to "use" Linux perfectly fine. You on the other hand, have made it clear that your knowledge is pretty much limited to browsing the internet and checking your emails. lol

You guys think I should install a Linux distro on my PC for the first time and make a blog about how easy it was to set up just to spite this person?

Except I didn't say anything about it not being easy to install. Reading comprehension not your thing, huh? Go on, make your blog to spite me if it's really bothering you THAT much. lmao

Last edited by RedColoredStars,

Dax_Fame

Annoying Member
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No. Never tried any distros. Never. I just come here as a person who has never tried ANY version of Linux whatsoever and blindly talks shit about it. I mean. Did you bother to think for one second before posting such stupid drivel? Obviously not. And I personally know how to "use" Linux perfectly fine. You on the other hand, have made it clear that your knowledge is pretty much limited to browsing the internet and checking your emails. lol

Except I didn't say anything about it not being easy to install. Reading comprehension not your thing, huh? Go on, make your blog to spite me if it's really bothering you THAT much. lmao
Ah very nice, turning to insults for no reason at all.

That's quite the assumption. I've been using Linux for 15 years and I do a hell of a lot more than use a browser.

I hope the rotton finds the way out of your soul someday.

Cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It's low on wood
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    lemme ask in forums
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yawn
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    @Xdqwerty No you heard wrong, and don't believe till you experience yourself. Fallout 4 is one of my favorite games of all time. Yes it had issues early on, esp with older hardware like the xbox1, but it is awesome, esp now being 4k on Series S/X or PS5
    +2
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, Then i think people were talking about fallout 76
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    that one was buggy too
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea you right there, fallout 76 was a letdown, but it not that bad now, they have fixed slot of issues they had at launch. Biggest issue with Fallout 76 is its a pay to advance further type of game, which sucks
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BigOnYa, I may probably download fallout 3 or new vegas on my ps3
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    cuz I didnt like fallout 1 that much
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    New Vegas is awesome, F3 was ok too.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    I played Fallout 4 on PC, I enjoyed it honestly. Not my favorite game on earth but at the same time I didn't hate it at all lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    That's cool you got a ps3... Glad to hear. Game on!
    +1
    Ironic this was posted today lol
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I think the tv series has boasted play of, I did see they said playing of it Is up, way more than norm
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I've been playing the next gen version on Series X all day, I love it. :wub:
    +1
    Downloading some random stuff, damn almost 400GBs in like 4 hours lol
    Gonna be over 1TB this month.... damn lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    At least you have some fast speeds. What a drag that used to be, I remb downloading 1 pic back in the day, and seeing line by line show
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nighty night.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Or worse, you downloading something, and someone calls your phone and interupts the download, good ole AOL. Of course that's before most you guys even were born yet.
    Lol I think my first modem was 48K but it had some sort of firmware or software update that let me get 56K
    I had EarthLink lol
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: I had EarthLink lol