1. 9,345

Front-page
    xbox.jpg

Yesterday, Microsoft announced an increase in its Xbox Live Gold subscription services with 1-month memberships increasing by $1 to $10.99 a month, while 3-month and 6-month subscriptions saw a $5 and $20 increase, respectively. However, this was not received well by the community and today, the company decided to reverse its decision, stating that they "messed up". Microsoft updated its announcement, stating that there is no changes to Xbox Live Gold pricing.

This means that Xbox Live Gold subscription is back to $9.99 for 1-month, $24.99 for 3-months, $39.99 for 6-months and $59.99 for retail 12-months. The company also mentions that free-to-play games, "will no longer need an Xbox Live Gold membership to play those games on Xbox" and that they "are working hard to deliver this change as soon as possible in the coming months".

You can read Microsoft's statement below as excerpted from a blog post update:

:arrow: SOURCE

Benja81, Henx, Red771 and 18 others like this.
  2. Discussion (97 replies)

3. hamohamo

hamohamo GBAtemp Regular

Microsoft is so consumer friendly it's honestly suspicious at this point.

Last edited by hamohamo, Jan 23, 2021
  4. Jackson Ferrell

Jackson Ferrell I don't like SJWs

Australia
    They really Excel at their job

5. Reploid

Reploid GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Serbia, Republic of
    Sony would never do that

6. Pipistrele

Pipistrele GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Russia
    A decent move on their part - not something I'd pat their head for (as in, solving the problem they created in the first place), but it's nice to see that Microsoft still sticks to their promise of openly communicating with playerbase.

7. Latiodile

Latiodile Profesionnal Scalie

Canada
    cool, next step is to make multiplayer free, like on competent platforms like PC

8. wartutor

wartutor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Microsoft whole online model was and is a damn cancer on gaming. Having to pay in order to play online was never a thing till xbox/Microsoft started doing it and ignorant kids (yeah kids because only 13 y/o dip shits didn't have a real system (aka ps3) back in the day) paid for it from mommy and daddy's pocket. After they got away with it everyone else started following suit and now nintendo (with there below subpar online shit) is getting away with it for the same damn reason.

9. Crazynoob458

Crazynoob458 Idiot wii and ds hacker

Australia
    *Stares at Nintendo*

10. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    they really would.
    EDIT: do you mean increasing the price or hearing the outcry and changing it back?

11. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States
    Of whispering sweet Words to keep their customers' Access to their buying Power of which is the whole Point of them Publishing this statement to their various Teams who then Zoom and Skype the information to other Publishers in their Offices 365 days a year to hopefully Win9XboXP profits over Sony to achieve Vistas to be able to be a Whistler for the Longhorns to sound the developers, developers, developers, developers to prevent BSODs at public trade shows!

12. 64bitmodels

64bitmodels GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    this tongue you speak, i cannot comprehend it

13. Silent_Gunner

Silent_Gunner The Edge of the Soul

United States
    That's because you need better

14. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

The PS3 at launch cost so much more than the competition that you could literally buy the competition for it’s price and it’s games library generally lacklustre or inferior versions. It was from my friends and myself perspective the inferior gaming platform at the time.

It wasn’t until the price came down and the exclusive games library built up that we started buying them.

I’m not saying paid online is a good thing, but the PS3 near launch was a joke (especially it’s memetic reveal) unless perhaps you wanted a BD player, CELL Linux, etc.

I think it’s more likely they’ll drop Gold entirely and force people onto Gamepass for online, or some other tactic to coerce people away from Gold e.g. make it 1 month only.

15. wartutor

wartutor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    Ps3 was by far the superior system (unless you liked HD disks I guess) it had been player, better graphics, no stupid ass proprietary HD that cost a fuckin fortune to upgrade, and way better exclusives. Plus free online. The Xbox kiddies ruined it for everyone. BTW how old were you when you and your friends had that perspective.

MeAndHax and yoyoyo69 like this.
  16. hamohamo

hamohamo GBAtemp Regular

Not to mention that their consoles are 'power'ful and the customer service is on 'point'.

Scott_pilgrim and 1B51004 like this.
  17. JustJay

JustJay GBAtemp Fan

United States
    Reminds me of Xbox One launch.

Microsoft: We will make you connect online to play your offline games
    Fans: no you won't
    Microsoft: You're right

18. Latiodile

Latiodile Profesionnal Scalie

Canada
    gta 4, skyrim and fallout 3 were a better experience on ps3?

Scott_pilgrim and x65943 like this.
  19. tech3475

tech3475 GBAtemp Addict

We would have been around 14-15.

But again, the system had it’s issues with inferior multiplats, it took time to build up that library of ‘better’ exclusives and even then YMMV, it was ridiculously more expensive at launch and the 360 also had it’s own library of games we were playing e.g. GoW, Halo 3, etc.

We also didn’t care for things like the BD player since HDTVs were only just becoming mainstream and many of us still only had CRTs, although I later used my 15” desktop monitor before getting a HDTV. If you were after a BD player though it was the cheapest option for some time, I know people who bought one for that reason, although I would have waited at least for the format war to be over.

These days sure, it’s easy to have your perspective, but closer to launch? No, we had no regrets buying 360s and it made the most sense to us, regardless of paid online and it’s other flaws e.g. no built in wifi.

That said, when the PS3 did improve over the following years post launch, we did start buying them.

You actually reminded me of this old meme:

20. White_Raven_X

White_Raven_X Hack everything, hack the world!

United States
    Whining babies got their way! That would have been one more point for Sony! Lol

21. nikeymikey

nikeymikey This is now a Spiderman thread.........

United Kingdom
    As an owner of an rgh X360 and jailbroken PS3 still i will say this.... Only one of these consoles is still attached to my living room tv, the other is in the loft. Yes the X360 is still up and running and still gets used. My PS3 has been packed away for years and i have not had any urge to get it out and use it for a very long time either. I also own all other versions of Xbox and PS as well (except the latest....yet) so am genuinely not a fanboy of either.
    Each gen has generally found me leaning towards one side or the other at different times, the PS3 had some good years was at its best in the MW2 hacking days, used to host a great modded game called Hawkins Zombieland. Bar none the best time ive ever had playing a game online, full lobbies every time and usually a great bunch of people playing. XBL Gold kind of prevented those hacks or a least made it difficult enough to get online with a hack that it wasn't worth the effort.
    I flip between paying for gold or not generally mostly i dont pay as online is not a priority for me anymore, i have never paid for PSN access.

One thing i will add is this, out of the next gen consoles i will be buying the X first and thats simply due to the All Access program, something Sony will never offer, they are too greedy :)

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - backtracks, Microsoft, following