Gaming Metroid Other M... or: why team ninja is killing the franchise

Heiopeio

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
hi folks... i´m a metroid fan from the beginning.

but this game is a piece of crap.

it didnt feel like a metroid game at all.. only like a silly boring action game.

why you get only 1 missile more, if you collecting a tank?
why you have to collect 4 pieces of an E-Tank to get one more?
no shooting at doors required (except missile doors).... WHY?
why no metroid feeling?
and the recovering function is so silly and a big piece of bullshit.
why can you only recover, then your life is critical?
why has the game not the soundeffects that we all know?
the enemy´s dont drop energy or missiles... another big fat foul.

dont get me wrong... the graphics are very nice... the cgi videos are great..
storyline is ok... but not for a metroid game.

nothing what makes an metroid is in this game! team ninja has ripped
everything that makes an metroid game good.

team ninja killed metroid... just like nintendo did before with starfox and f-zero.
another great franchise was killed by noobs.

my preorder is cancelled... i dont buy this piece of shit.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Heiopeio said:
team ninja killed metroid... just like nintendo did before...f-zero.
The fuck you talking about? GX was amazing and the GBA games were great too.

I hate how Team Ninja turned one of my favourite gaming characters into a stereotypical brat bitch. I still cringe at the thumbs down part.

Tanas

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gaydrian said:
Heiopeio said:
team ninja killed metroid... just like nintendo did before...f-zero.
The fuck you talking about? GX was amazing and the GBA games were great too.

I hate how Team Ninja turned one of my favourite gaming characters into a stereotypical brat bitch. I still cringe at the thumbs down part.
I cringe whenever Samus opens her mouth.

TrickyTony

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am actually really having fun with this game. It is a long shot from my favorite Metroid, but there is no question that I am enjoying it.

Samus is for sure annoying in some flashbacks, but at least that is a young Samus, before she became who we all love.

Hadrian

Literally as TIGHT as a gnats chuff.
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Now she is just a drone who does what Adam says and accepts the stupidity of not being allowed to use weapons when she wants.

"Oh hey this mission is really important and urgent but erm I'm just gonna let you spend ages backtracking instead of giving you what you want...ok?"

Heiopeio said:
i think you´re the only one who liked f-zero gx.... its horrible
I think its just too hard for you. Everyone who I've known who hated it, hated it because they are crap at games.

Piebe

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I agree, i had huge expectations of Metroid other M, wich even made it a bigger disapointment. This was a game that had to put the Wii back on the map.

D

Deleted_171835

I might cry.
I had high hopes for this game. I'm hearing so much negative things regarding it.
I watched some cut-scenes on Youtube and Samus is not Samus.
She's an annoying son of a [bleep]
cry.gif

Now, I'm not looking forward to playing the game.

QUOTE said:
I'll need a new HDD, though. My current HDD broke so I can't play Wii games. I have the D3-2 drive and don't have an available SDHC card. I'm planning on buying the game when it comes out but since it comes with firmware update 4.3, I'm not going to put it in my Wii. I'm just going to keep it in the shrink-wrap.

Windaga

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I LOVE F-Zero GX, and I'm rubbish at it. That sense of speed is pretty intense, and it's a really fun game.

I understand why deep fans might not like it, but for someone who's played only Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 3 and this title, I'm really enjoying myself. The fight's are incredibly fast paced - almost cinematic. Everything just feels so....epic and enjoyable. That fight with that large lava monster has to be one of my favorite boss fights from all games, let alone Metroid Games. (Ranking high up there with the Rundas fight)

Also, I love the way Samus talks. She seems emotionless at times, sure, but at others, she's got quite a powerful voice.

In short, I'm loving it. Next to Fusion, this is by far my favorite Metroid game.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The reason why metroid other m sucks is because game piracy caused nintendo to sell out some of their franchises to other developers.
evil.gif

(I never got the hype around metroid games...)

Oh, and I liked GX as well...even though I sucked balls at it.

SkankyYankee

GBAtemp Advanced Skank
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Im liking it so far, sure its not exactly like the other Metroids but i never expected it to being developed by a completely different company. Lots of storyline to fill in Metroid's rather scant plots. If you remember the Metroid comics in the 90s NP Samus was just a vulnerable orphan Chozo girl thrown in the galactic war. She showed a lot more weakness than in the games and the CGI cut scenes are the first to reflect that.

The limited weaponry is a cheezy concept but they took a different approach from the "oh Im super powered but Ridley or something messes up my suit and now I spend the whole game fixing it".

A different approach but I think some people will like it.

gamefreak94

GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I don't know i kind of like the game.
Like what OP said the Graphics and the CGI is amazing!
The only thing i don't like is going to first person to shoot a damn missile. I mean the B buttons isn't even used!(Well i'm not that far into the game yet so yeah it may come in use later.)
QUOTE said:
the enemy´s dont drop energy or missiles
uh, maybe b/c the monsters don't have missiles or energy inside them. Lol j/k i know what your talking about b/c every other metroid game has it. But atleast its easier to get missiles now.
QUOTE said:
why you get only 1 missile more, if you collecting a tank?
Ugh, maybe because everytime you kill all the enemies in one area you get an extra missile. If you played through the first 2 hours of the game and collected all the missiles you should already have 17 or 25 missiles already. Same with the E-tank.(its either one of these two though)
QUOTE said:
no shooting at doors required (except missile doors).... WHY?
I'm guessing you only played the prime series... And reason why is b/c its just dumb. Do you shoot your door to open it? I think not sir.
Continue to next post XD I know big rant!

QUOTE said:
why has the game not the soundeffects that we all know?
Like what sound effects? I am really getting the feeling you just played Prime series b/c since that is a fps game the sounds effects are heard. When you're a ball its the same sound effects.
why no metroid feeling?
What is a metroid feeling? Prime and the orginal Metroid was nothing a like. That's like saying when prime first came out it was BS b/c it didn't have a metroid feeling. I actually think this has a more Metroid feel to it than Prime did(Note: This does not mean I think it completely feels like Metroid its just feels more Metroid than Prime IMO, other than the upgrade parts)

"Oh hey this mission is really important and urgent but erm I'm just gonna let you spend ages backtracking instead of giving you what you want...ok?"
This made me lol! SO true. I mean you're a damn bounty hunter for fuck sake you don't need to take orders from them! You can just explore the place by yourself without any commands. But hey at least it isn't like the Prime games where you collect every single weapon and then next game comes and then poof, they disappear and go to random planets just waiting for you to collect them again.

Piebe

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I really don't like the invisible walls, or the fact that you cannot fall of a plateau. Metroid other M is nothing like the prime series and does not live up to the hype.

gamefreak94

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Gaydrian said:
gamefreak94 said:
What is a metroid feeling? Prime and the orginal Metroid was nothing a like.
The feeling that you are completly alone.

Oh, that feeling. I thought he meant game play wise.
QUOTE(Piebe @ Aug 28 2010, 10:08 PM)
I really don't like the invisible walls, or the fact that you cannot fall of a plateau. Metroid other M is nothing like the prime series and does not live up to the hype.
That is why its is called Metroid: Other M. There is no prime in there.
Prime is nothing Like Super Metroid.

gisel213

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I must admit the game looks alright but the main thing i hate about it is the items you already have all of them but you have to fight and slave
around till ADAM says you can use them now that's gay... what's wrong with team ninja can't remake the magic of aquiring the items or what????

Or atleast make some new items for the suit if you wanna change the system....

For example the speed booster you end up in a dead ended corridor can't go any further and you jump run and scan shit around hmm and see like
the 10th speed booster obstacle but dont have it yet wtf.... then walk back the way you came then cutscene by the way samus you can use the
speed booster now so u make a uturn and go on honestly that's horrible gameplay mechanics and design....

geoflcl

Permanent GBAtemp Newbie
Trophies
Website
loganderb.in
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing through it. It definitely feels as if it was made by an external developer. But then again, so did Metroid Prime at first. I'm sure we'll all warm up to the bold new reinvention of the Metroid franchise sooner or later.

But it still sort of bothers me that the series has had yet another "reboot" so to speak. It's sort of alienating, having to "re-learn" the Metroid series yet again.

gamefreak94

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
gisel213 said:
I must admit the game looks alright but the main thing i hate about it is the items you already have all of them but you have to fight and slave
around till ADAM says you can use them now that's gay... what's wrong with team ninja can't remake the magic of aquiring the items or what????

Or atleast make some new items for the suit if you wanna change the system....

For example the speed booster you end up in a dead ended corridor can't go any further and you jump run and scan shit around hmm and see like
the 10th speed booster obstacle but dont have it yet wtf.... then walk back the way you came then cutscene by the way samus you can use the
speed booster now so u make a uturn and go on honestly that's horrible gameplay mechanics and design....
This is before the Prime series and right after(and when i say right after i mean right after) the original Metroid, you do know that right?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: @Xdqwerty no i mean i had to go in the shitbox