Metroid Other M... or: why team ninja is killing the franchise

Discussion in 'Wii - Console and Game Discussions' started by Heiopeio, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Heiopeio
    OP

Newcomer Heiopeio Member

Germany
    hi folks... i´m a metroid fan from the beginning.

but this game is a piece of crap.

it didnt feel like a metroid game at all.. only like a silly boring action game.

why you get only 1 missile more, if you collecting a tank?
    why you have to collect 4 pieces of an E-Tank to get one more?
    no shooting at doors required (except missile doors).... WHY?
    why no metroid feeling?
    and the recovering function is so silly and a big piece of bullshit.
    why can you only recover, then your life is critical?
    why has the game not the soundeffects that we all know?
    the enemy´s dont drop energy or missiles... another big fat foul.

dont get me wrong... the graphics are very nice... the cgi videos are great..
    storyline is ok... but not for a metroid game.

nothing what makes an metroid is in this game! team ninja has ripped
    everything that makes an metroid game good.

team ninja killed metroid... just like nintendo did before with starfox and f-zero.
    another great franchise was killed by noobs.

my preorder is cancelled... i dont buy this piece of shit.

2. Hadrian

Former Staff Hadrian Better than Craigslist

United Kingdom
    The fuck you talking about? GX was amazing and the GBA games were great too.

I hate how Team Ninja turned one of my favourite gaming characters into a stereotypical brat bitch. I still cringe at the thumbs down part.

3. Tanas

Member Tanas GBAtemp Addict

United Kingdom
    I cringe whenever Samus opens her mouth.

4. Heiopeio
    OP

Newcomer Heiopeio Member

Germany
    i think you´re the only one who liked f-zero gx.... its horrible

5. TrickyTony

Member TrickyTony GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I am actually really having fun with this game. It is a long shot from my favorite Metroid, but there is no question that I am enjoying it.

Samus is for sure annoying in some flashbacks, but at least that is a young Samus, before she became who we all love.

6. girugamarc

Member girugamarc GBAtemp Fan

United States
    lol

7. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    Now she is just a drone who does what Adam says and accepts the stupidity of not being allowed to use weapons when she wants.

"Oh hey this mission is really important and urgent but erm I'm just gonna let you spend ages backtracking instead of giving you what you want...ok?"

I think its just too hard for you. Everyone who I've known who hated it, hated it because they are crap at games.

8. Piebe

Member Piebe GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I agree, i had huge expectations of Metroid other M, wich even made it a bigger disapointment. This was a game that had to put the Wii back on the map.

9. soulx

Member soulx GBAtemp Legend

Canada
    I might cry.
    I had high hopes for this game. I'm hearing so much negative things regarding it.
    I watched some cut-scenes on Youtube and Samus is not Samus.
    She's an annoying son of a [bleep]
    [​IMG]
    Now, I'm not looking forward to playing the game.
    Why I can't play the game right now

10. Windaga

Member Windaga GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I LOVE F-Zero GX, and I'm rubbish at it. That sense of speed is pretty intense, and it's a really fun game.

I understand why deep fans might not like it, but for someone who's played only Super Metroid, Metroid Fusion, Metroid Prime 3 and this title, I'm really enjoying myself. The fight's are incredibly fast paced - almost cinematic. Everything just feels so....epic and enjoyable. That fight with that large lava monster has to be one of my favorite boss fights from all games, let alone Metroid Games. (Ranking high up there with the Rundas fight)

Also, I love the way Samus talks. She seems emotionless at times, sure, but at others, she's got quite a powerful voice.

In short, I'm loving it. Next to Fusion, this is by far my favorite Metroid game.

11. Taleweaver

Member Taleweaver Storywriter

Belgium
    The reason why metroid other m sucks is because game piracy caused nintendo to sell out some of their franchises to other developers. [​IMG]

(I never got the hype around metroid games...)

Oh, and I liked GX as well...even though I sucked balls at it.

12. SkankyYankee

Member SkankyYankee GBAtemp Advanced Skank

United States
    Im liking it so far, sure its not exactly like the other Metroids but i never expected it to being developed by a completely different company. Lots of storyline to fill in Metroid's rather scant plots. If you remember the Metroid comics in the 90s NP Samus was just a vulnerable orphan Chozo girl thrown in the galactic war. She showed a lot more weakness than in the games and the CGI cut scenes are the first to reflect that.

The limited weaponry is a cheezy concept but they took a different approach from the "oh Im super powered but Ridley or something messes up my suit and now I spend the whole game fixing it".

A different approach but I think some people will like it.

13. TrapperKeeperX

Member TrapperKeeperX GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    I honestly love this game and the game is fun I love the music in the game too!

14. gamefreak94

Member gamefreak94 GBAtemps (Un)Official Illogical Poster

United States
    I don't know i kind of like the game.
    Like what OP said the Graphics and the CGI is amazing!
    The only thing i don't like is going to first person to shoot a damn missile. I mean the B buttons isn't even used!(Well i'm not that far into the game yet so yeah it may come in use later.)
    This made me lol! SO true. I mean you're a damn bounty hunter for fuck sake you don't need to take orders from them! You can just explore the place by yourself without any commands. But hey at least it isn't like the Prime games where you collect every single weapon and then next game comes and then poof, they disappear and go to random planets just waiting for you to collect them again.

15. Hadrian

United Kingdom
    The feeling that you are completly alone.

16. Piebe

Member Piebe GBAtemp Regular

Netherlands
    I really don't like the invisible walls, or the fact that you cannot fall of a plateau. Metroid other M is nothing like the prime series and does not live up to the hype.

17. gamefreak94

United States
    That is why its is called Metroid: Other M. There is no prime in there.
    Prime is nothing Like Super Metroid.

18. gisel213

Member gisel213 GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I must admit the game looks alright but the main thing i hate about it is the items you already have all of them but you have to fight and slave
    around till ADAM says you can use them now that's gay... what's wrong with team ninja can't remake the magic of aquiring the items or what????

Or atleast make some new items for the suit if you wanna change the system....

For example the speed booster you end up in a dead ended corridor can't go any further and you jump run and scan shit around hmm and see like
    the 10th speed booster obstacle but dont have it yet wtf.... then walk back the way you came then cutscene by the way samus you can use the
    speed booster now so u make a uturn and go on honestly that's horrible gameplay mechanics and design....

19. geoflcl

Member geoflcl Permanent GBAtemp Newbie

United States
    I've been playing through it. It definitely feels as if it was made by an external developer. But then again, so did Metroid Prime at first. I'm sure we'll all warm up to the bold new reinvention of the Metroid franchise sooner or later.

But it still sort of bothers me that the series has had yet another "reboot" so to speak. It's sort of alienating, having to "re-learn" the Metroid series yet again.

20. gamefreak94

United States
    This is before the Prime series and right after(and when i say right after i mean right after) the original Metroid, you do know that right?