ROM Hack Metal Max 3 Translation Project

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I disagree if story is unimportant then there would be no point in traslating it. I personally would like a translation for Season too since it has more story(at least more than MM1 and 2 not sure about 3), continue plots started in MM1 and despite it being more linear it is still apparently pretty easy to get stuck and locations are still big with hidden secrets and exits. Metal Max/Saga series is most similar to Romancing Saga in my opinion although Romancing Saga may be even more open ended. They reportedly learned their lesson and MM4 is balanced between linear and nonlinear story progression. By they way in MM2R there are more genders than just male/female there is okama which I guess mean tranvestite/transexual here but what is reijin?
The story itself is unimportant, what is great is the story and non-story dialogue, from NPCs in towns or side quests. I mean, the original Metal Max basically had next to no story until the last couple hours.
I've never played any of the SaGa games, myself. I should sometime.
Yeah, there is okama, but I think that's basically just if you want a female portrait but would rather have their special gender attack be based on positive manliness(Manly Punch) which is much easier to get, as opposed to the female one which relies on negative manliness (Panty-Flash Kick). I don't remember any gender called "reijin", though; just male, female, or okama. Can you show me any examples of this?

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Reijin was in MM2R but not MM3. Okama is trans woman, reijin is trans man.

SaGa is great! I've been playing the new English release of RS2 quite a bit lately.

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Ah, I see; I guess that's for the opposite, if you want a male portrait but the female attack. I suppose the reason I never saw that is because it's only for characters you make at Nukka's Tavern? I never really made any, I just used my main character and the two set characters you get during the game, so that would explain why I don't remember it. I think I only used it to quickly get a generic female soldier to fill my party until I got Mishika.

Last edited by Terithian,

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yep, for custom characters. I was actually kinda surprised the okama/reijin options aren't super-stereotypical, surprising for a Japanese game.

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

SaGa is great! I've been playing the new English release of RS2 quite a bit lately.
On Vita or IOS/Android? Romancing Saga 3 will probably get an enhanced english version as well. Minstrel Song on PS2 is good too and it's the only full 3D remake Romancing Saga has.

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, the English release of RS2 is only on mobile (for the moment at least). I'd play it, but there's nothing you can do to get me to play a full RPG on my phone. If it does come out on Vita in English I might get it, though.

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It hasn't been officially confirmed, just heavily implied, so I'm not going to say anything about it just yet.

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kawazu outright said he's working on a Western release in a tweet, so...

Also, due to a combination of tons of other stuff going on and just not a lot of knowledge of MM3 (I'm much more familiar with MM2R and I keep having to boot up the game to figure out who's saying what) work on the NPC text has been kinda slow - and there's tons of it. Would you be willing to kinda collaborate on it, Terithian? We could take different ones and then proofread each other's once we're done to ensure there's one "voice" throughout.

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
That does sound good to me. I'd like to finish all the system text first; there's still quite a bit left. It's also been a couple years since I played MM3, so I should probably just play through the game again once I'm finished all the system stuff that doesn't require context quite as much and perhaps translate as I go. We'd definitely need to make sure we have a consistent "voice" for the dialogue, though, since it's very distinctive in Japanese and would be very noticeable if it there were different "voices" in English.

Last edited by Terithian,

MetalFan

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cuba
Im sorry for my late response , Thank you very much for upgrade the tool so fast DarthNemesis , now it works fine...

On the graphics editing
Almost done the graphics in .tex format . Then I start with graphics NCGR, please lilfut If you already have translated those i send you send me the translations

I'm making out with the limitation of 11 characters, I think this in the file arm9.bin but has no idea where to start.... We need someone with knowledge of ASM.

Last edited by MetalFan,

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I believe I sent you the translations starting with NCGR - those are the ones that include the maps, right?

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Kawazu outright said he's working on a Western release in a tweet, so...

Also, due to a combination of tons of other stuff going on and just not a lot of knowledge of MM3 (I'm much more familiar with MM2R and I keep having to boot up the game to figure out who's saying what) work on the NPC text has been kinda slow - and there's tons of it. Would you be willing to kinda collaborate on it, Terithian? We could take different ones and then proofread each other's once we're done to ensure there's one "voice" throughout.

That does sound good to me. I'd like to finish all the system text first; there's still quite a bit left. It's also been a couple years since I played MM3, so I should probably just play through the game again once I'm finished all the system stuff that doesn't require context quite as much and perhaps translate as I go. We'd definitely need to make sure we have a consistent "voice" for the dialogue, though, since it's very distinctive in Japanese and would be very noticeable if it there were different "voices" in English.

Im sorry for my late response , Thank you very much for upgrade the tool so fast DarthNemesis , now it works fine...

On the graphics editing
Almost done the graphics in .tex format . Then I start with graphics NCGR, please lilfut If you already have translated those i send you send me the Trans. to [email protected]

I'm making out with the limitation of 11 characters, I think this in the file arm9.bin but has no idea where to start.... We need someone with knowledge of ASM.

I have an idea, Terithian could you edit the first page to look like this https://gbatemp.net/threads/sd-gundam-g-generation-overworld-english-translation.369219/ so that everyone will see who is doing what and what is still needed. Maybe you can also ask a moderator to change the topic's title.

Last edited by Lakum,

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've finished the skill table. It should have all the skill names used in the game. Sadly, it had the usual 11 character limit.

Attachments

• SKILL_TABLE.NAM.txt
    1.6 KB · Views: 236

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hm, that sounds like it could work. It's just a matter of how many people would be able to easily recognize it as a reference to E. Coli without foreknowledge of what it's supposed to be a translation of.

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think it's supposed to kinda work double duty as a simian pun and a disease. With サルモネラ you get the "salmonella" before the "saru", here it's the other way around. Not a huge change.

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I think it's supposed to kinda work double duty as a simian pun and a disease. With サルモネラ you get the "salmonella" before the "saru", here it's the other way around. Not a huge change.
I know it's supposed to be a pun, and it's pretty good and obvious when spoken, but I'm not 100% sure how many people would be able to easily recognize the pun when it's just written out is all.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    DinohScene @ DinohScene: ahh nothing beats a coffee disaronno at work