ROM Hack Metal Max 3 Translation Project

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a heads-up - I'm going to be leaving for vacation all next week, so I won't be able to work on this (I won't have my PC). If you finish with the system text, Terithian, you can go ahead and take any of the NPC text that isn't prefaced with H (the town text, I believe).

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Just a heads-up - I'm going to be leaving for vacation all next week, so I won't be able to work on this (I won't have my PC). If you finish with the system text, Terithian, you can go ahead and take any of the NPC text that isn't prefaced with H (the town text, I believe).
I've slowed down a fair bit, myself, so we'll see if I get there or not. I still have a fair bit left, and I think I want to play through the game a bit again as well to refresh my context.

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia

Anyone noticed similarities to Metal Max in the new Zelda?
You're revived at the beginning without knowing what happened to you like in MM3 and you can go straight to the final boss without finishing sidequests.

Last edited by Lakum,

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, the only real similarity is that they're both open world games. The revival thing is a relatively common trope. Also, you can't really go straight to the final boss in MM3. The game world is basically divided into 5 (I think?) different sections that you have to explore and do sidequests in to get stronger and figure out how to get to the next area, plus a tiny 6th area with the final dungeon in it. There are also a couple points in the main story where it stalls, if I remember correctly, and you have no choice but to just go around doing sidequests until enough time passes for the next story event to trigger.
Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing the new Zelda myself eventually! Just need to get a Wii U first...

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Well, the only real similarity is that they're both open world games. The revival thing is a relatively common trope. Also, you can't really go straight to the final boss in MM3. The game world is basically divided into 5 (I think?) different sections that you have to explore and do sidequests in to get stronger and figure out how to get to the next area, plus a tiny 6th area with the final dungeon in it. There are also a couple points in the main story where it stalls, if I remember correctly, and you have no choice but to just go around doing sidequests until enough time passes for the next story event to trigger.
Regardless, I'm looking forward to playing the new Zelda myself eventually! Just need to get a Wii U first...
Not in MM3 but I think you can go straight to the final boss in MMR, Metal Saga and maybe Metal Max 4. In MM2R it seems you have to do some things first.

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not in MM3 but I think you can go straight to the final boss in MMR, Metal Saga and maybe Metal Max 4. In MM2R it seems you have to do some things first.
Not really, Metal Max Returns and Metal Saga are both set up pretty much the same way as MM3; the world is divided into specific areas in which you are expected to do side quests while figuring out how to get into the next area.
I suppose you can skip through some stuff, like going through a certain difficult tunnel to skip a sequence (I think there was an old subway tunnel in MMR you could go through that took you straight to the city with skyscraper dungeon, skipping knocking down the abandoned building to create a bridge, and you could go through the train tunnel to skip taking the train in MS, although that sucks because it has a crazy encounter rate with really annoying enemies), but it's really difficult to go straight to the final boss while completing NO sidequests, since the games do have a sort of "path" for you to follow made of a series of areas in a specific order that you're free to explore.
MM2R is a bit different in that the things locking you out of each area are big story bosses, though. It also has the most open world of all the MM games I've played, since the third area you open is basically around half of the entire world, including the entire "ocean" (basically a huge crater lake, I think, judging from its shape and the ruined buildings you can see at the bottom in certain areas).
I haven't played it, unlike the others, but I assume MM4 is structured the same way, since it seems to be an integral part of the series.

Last edited by Terithian,

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
Not really, Metal Max Returns and Metal Saga are both set up pretty much the same way as MM3; the world is divided into specific areas in which you are expected to do side quests while figuring out how to get into the next area.
I suppose you can skip through some stuff, like going through a certain difficult tunnel to skip a sequence (I think there was an old subway tunnel in MMR you could go through that took you straight to the city with skyscraper dungeon, skipping knocking down the abandoned building to create a bridge, and you could go through the train tunnel to skip taking the train in MS, although that sucks because it has a crazy encounter rate with really annoying enemies), but it's really difficult to go straight to the final boss while completing NO sidequests, since the games do have a sort of "path" for you to follow made of a series of areas in a specific order that you're free to explore.
MM2R is a bit different in that the things locking you out of each area are big story bosses, though. It also has the most open world of all the MM games I've played, since the third area you open is basically around half of the entire world, including the entire "ocean" (basically a huge crater lake, I think, judging from its shape and the ruined buildings you can see at the bottom in certain areas).
I haven't played it, unlike the others, but I assume MM4 is structured the same way, since it seems to be an integral part of the series.
It's hard but it's possible? Zelda is supposed to be the same way as it will be very hard to beat final boss and probably location with weak equipment and low number of hearts but doable. Of course MM is turn based so it is more stat dependent than Zelda.

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, back from vacation! I definitely need to play through MM3 myself - I barely made any progress, so any sort of foreshadowing is gonna go over my head.

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Yeah, it's probably best to have played the whole game before doing any dialogue translation, just to make sure you have full context for everything. I need to replay it myself just for the system text, too, since I can't remember the context for a some of it and there aren't any clues, sometimes.

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
In my defense, I came onto this from MM2R, which I HAVE beaten. When we get to that one I can just sorta play along as I'm translating since I know the plot.

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
In my defense, I came onto this from MM2R, which I HAVE beaten. When we get to that one I can just sorta play along as I'm translating since I know the plot.
I'm more familiar with MM2R, as well. I only played it a few months ago rather than a couple years, and I played it a lot more exhaustively, so I know it better, hehe.

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm somewhat sad to say that I don't think I will be able to continue with this project. Real-life pressures are a big part of it, but a bigger part is that I just don't like MM3 that much as a game.

With that in mind, please drop me a PM or email when/if you guys move onto MM2R! That's a game I'm much more fond of, and have already translated parts of to some degree.

MetalFan has basically everything I've done, which frankly isn't much beyond the graphical text. I wish you guys the best of luck.

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Oh, I'm sad to hear that. I don't know how long it'll take before we get there, but I'll remember to drop you a line if/when the time comes.

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I'm somewhat sad to say that I don't think I will be able to continue with this project. Real-life pressures are a big part of it, but a bigger part is that I just don't like MM3 that much as a game.

With that in mind, please drop me a PM or email when/if you guys move onto MM2R! That's a game I'm much more fond of, and have already translated parts of to some degree.

MetalFan has basically everything I've done, which frankly isn't much beyond the graphical text. I wish you guys the best of luck.
Oh that's terrible to hear. I fear this project may never be finished unless more translators will join, so could you release some alpha patch, as even just translated menus are better than nothing.

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I do feel kinda bad about just dropping the project like this, for what it's worth. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, though, and I might be able to help in bits and pieces.

Lakum

Trophies
XP
Country
Malaysia
I do feel kinda bad about just dropping the project like this, for what it's worth. I'll be keeping an eye on this thread, though, and I might be able to help in bits and pieces.
Then maybe you both could switch to Reloaded for now and release some alpha MM3 patch for now? That way you can show some progress and perhaps attract someone new to the project later on?

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There really isn't enough to release an alpha patch at this point. All that's translated are the items and a large number of bits and pieces from everywhere else in the system text, an incomplete/initial version of the menus, and a tiny bit of the dialogue in the first 10 minutes of the game. Once all the system text and menus are complete, we could consider releasing an alpha patch, but not until then.

Lilfut

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, there should probably be a full menu patch before release, definitely.

As an aside, both for my own purposes and to build up hype (sorta), it might be a good idea to post any ripped graphics to TSR? I dunno, just something to throw out there.

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Well, I'm not the one working on graphics, but it could be pretty cool to look at all the sprites individually. The spritework for enemies in battle is amazingly ridiculous.
Also, small update on my progress: I'm a good ways through the first town. By the way, is it just me or is there a significant amount of unused dialogue? There seems to be an entirely separate, slightly different version of the entire opening cutscene in the dialogue file. Do I just not know how to trigger it, or is it just an unused alternate/prototype version of the scene?

EDIT: Huh, I'm actually learning a lot about the development of the game from unused dialogue lines. It seems they originally planned to have limited inventory space and separate inventories for each character, like in earlier games, judging by some unused lines spoken by shopkeepers like "Who's bag do you want this to go in?" or "Your bag is too full. You should leave some stuff in the Trunk Room." The finished game only has inventory limits for vehicle items and equipment, which is all the Trunk Room is used for now.

Last edited by Terithian,

Terithian

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Now that I'm translating other parts more heavily, I'm really finding how much the game relies on text from the ARM9 file. Is there really no way to allow it to be bigger? If not, a lot of translations will need to be compromised to fit. I won't even be able to have the character be called either "Drumcan Smith", "Drumcan Jones", or "Drumcan Djuro" at the beginning until you remember your name.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/@legolambs