ROM Hack MapleStory DS Image Editing -- Need help.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I suppose it would be just too easy if you could open and edit the NXARC in a WZ editor like normal Maplestory. If I still have the rom somewhere I may try it just for the hell of it.

Scratch that idea. Not that I had much faith in it.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
seriously spend some time opening and renaming files.
take the stuff unpacked from mapletrans and go one by one through the files
remembering to pay attention to file types.
load the closest pallette for the graphic file if that doesn't look right load another.
remember 256 by 192 and gba8bpp objh-1234
copy and rename with notes on what they were renamed. then narrow down what you need done
(used the unpack from mapletrans and used the first 2 files 1,2 the pallete is the nclr you'll see what I mean) there really isn't that many files and shouldn't take you that long (especially with the patch already)
but honestly I can't find the graphic in question most likely an in memory problem (take something plus this equals the offset in memory so you need to take away that chunk that is other stuff to find the graphic...uh)
easier and better for you to go file by file (you know you need to do it anyways)

sorry but I am not going to do it for you- but it really won't take you to long
one spread sheet
a list of the files (take a folder snaphot and paste to spreadheet)
comment on spreadsheet about files
(sorry if I sound preachy but its what i did for all my projects and will still do)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
rastsan said:
seriously spend some time opening and renaming files.
take the stuff unpacked from mapletrans and go one by one through the files
remembering to pay attention to file types.
load the closest pallette for the graphic file if that doesn't look right load another.
remember 256 by 192 and gba8bpp objh-1234
copy and rename with notes on what they were renamed. then narrow down what you need done
(used the unpack from mapletrans and used the first 2 files 1,2 the pallete is the nclr you'll see what I mean) there really isn't that many files and shouldn't take you that long (especially with the patch already)
but honestly I can't find the graphic in question most likely an in memory problem (take something plus this equals the offset in memory so you need to take away that chunk that is other stuff to find the graphic...uh)
easier and better for you to go file by file (you know you need to do it anyways)

sorry but I am not going to do it for you- but it really won't take you to long
one spread sheet
a list of the files (take a folder snaphot and paste to spreadheet)
comment on spreadsheet about files
(sorry if I sound preachy but its what i did for all my projects and will still do)
I'm not asking anyone to do it for me... and, thanks to jjjewel's pic, know how to get everything working in CrystalTile2.
My problem is I cannot FIND the image that I need. I can see it in No$GBA debugger, but I cannot locate it in CT2.
I've already gone through ALL the files unpacked by MapleTrans and listed what they contain (I'll paste it here again):
15.NCGR Archer portraits (sad)
41.NCGR DNA Growth(?)
45.NCGR Korean writing
48.NCGR Message Windows
53.NCGR Red Crystal
57.NCGR Red Crystal
61.NCGR Red Crystal
65.NCGR Red Crystal
69.NCGR Red Crystal
73.NCGR World Map - Main
77.NCGR World Map - "Unknown" Island
81.NCGR Korean pixel characters/words
85.NCGR [?], [X], icons
94.NCGR GPS
99.NCGR Magician portraits (sad)
103.NCGR Character sprites(?) [GBA 4bpp, unknonwn palette]
105.NCGR Status(?) & Numbers [palette 34.NCLR]
110.NCGR -- Menu Screen?
112.NCGR Game Over screen
117.NCGR Thief portraits (grin/oh)
121.NCGR Warrior portraits (hmm/oh)
125.NCGR Maple Island location names
129.NCGR Victoria Island location names
133.NCGR Ossyria location names
137.NCGR Maple Island(?) Town Popup
141.NCGR Victoria Island Town Popups
141.NCGR Ossyria(?) Town Popups
145.NCGR Ossyria(?) Town Popups
148.NCGR Victoria Island Town Popups [139.NCLR]
152.NCGR Lightbulbs + window
156.NCGR Pointing hands
160.NCGR Character Menu
180.NCGR Minerva(?) sprite [unknown palette, 127.NCLR]
183.NCGR Slime animation(?) [unknonwn palette]
204.NCGR Dragon Skeleton animation(?) [unknown palette]
207.NCGR Fox animation(?) [unknown palette]
216.NCGR Boss Battle window [unknown palette]

In essence, the problem I'm having boils down to this: The image I'm trying to find seems to be, according to what I'm reading from No$GBA, located in the Sound file -- which I know it isn't, which in turn means I am not reading it correctly. My question is, how do I read it correctly?

Your instructions were a little bit unclear to me, which I believe is because I am rather new to using CrystalTile and doing graphic hacking like this. As I've said, I'm probably putting some information in the wrong place or I'm looking at the wrong information entirely... I want to learn and was hoping you could take a look at what I did and maybe say 'you did this wrong' or 'that's not the right information', which is why I posted a screenshot of where I was getting my information from.

jjjewel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't read everything in the thread, so I'm sorry if I miss any point.
tongue.gif

Anyway, what you got from a Debugger, I think it's a temporary address in game's memory when you actually play the game. It's when your game reads some values (text, graphic, etc.) and store them in memory before processing. So, the address isn't the absolute address you see in the rom. (It's just my assumption, so I'm not totally sure.)

And CT2 has an option that if you run an emulator with debugger and have CT2 open at the same time, you can import the memory and load it to see the value. I can't remember exactly how but you'll get some option to import memory or something. But after that, it's kind of too advance for me to understand.

As for the image, if you can't find it, I'd recommend checking the palette files. Find the palette that has color similar to the picture you want and then check the NCGR file near that palette file. If you're lucky, it might be the one you're looking for. (When you import the palette, you'll see its available color shades. Just try to locate the one with similar colors as the picture you want.) Anyway, sometimes it can be more complicated.

Edited: Check IN/RES/BG/1436.NCGR for the picture you're looking for. (I guess that's the one in your pic in last page.)

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
jjjewel said:
I didn't read everything in the thread, so I'm sorry if I miss any point.
tongue.gif

Anyway, what you got from a Debugger, I think it's a temporary address in game's memory when you actually play the game. It's when your game reads some values (text, graphic, etc.) and store them in memory before processing. So, the address isn't the absolute address you see in the rom. (It's just my assumption, so I'm not totally sure.)

And CT2 has an option that if you run an emulator with debugger and have CT2 open at the same time, you can import the memory and load it to see the value. I can't remember exactly how but you'll get some option to import memory or something. But after that, it's kind of too advance for me to understand.

As for the image, if you can't find it, I'd recommend checking the palette files. Find the palette that has color similar to the picture you want and then check the NCGR file near that palette file. If you're lucky, it might be the one you're looking for. (When you import the palette, you'll see its available color shades. Just try to locate the one with similar colors as the picture you want.) Anyway, sometimes it can be more complicated.That's what I was looking for... thanks

QUOTE(jjjewel @ Dec 4 2010, 04:32 PM) Edited: Check IN/RES/BG/1436.NCGR for the picture you're looking for. (I guess that's the one in your pic in last page.)

Ok... now I feel like an idiot.
tongue.gif

I went through all the BGs late at night when I first started understanding how to use CT2 and didn't see anything that looked like a map there.

rastsan

8 baller, Death Wizard,
Trophies
Website
rastsan.wordpress.com
XP
Country
Canada
#14 in the bg folder also.
the chinese nds bbs has a guide on memory/graphic/font searches but I would ask in the stickied faq on the top of the romhacking translation thread.
(use google to search I could only make a little sense of it and did post a crappy google translated guide by someone on how to find graphics)
the maker of CT2 would be the best person to ask.
Under the file menu there is into emulator then find the program whose memory you need to view. it has mindblowing search abilities be careful with your search.

Mantre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm so i'm having problems.
Back in the beginning of the year i patched the game successfully, now i have this problem:
(0xc0000135)
Any help?
Please and thank you
biggrin.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mantre said:
Hmm so i'm having problems.
Back in the beginning of the year i patched the game successfully, now i have this problem:
(0xc0000135)
Any help?
Please and thank you
biggrin.gif
From xDelta?
If so, I would guess that you're not using the v0.02b patched version.

notmeanymore

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd absolutely love to help you out with this project over the Winter Break. I'll have a lot of free time, and I've been playing Maple since 2005 (working with private servers since 2008) so I know my stuff. Can I get your MSN/Skype or something?

Oh and I bet you could look for some help on one of the MS Development forums. Lots of maple enthusiasts there.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
TehSkull said:
I'd absolutely love to help you out with this project over the Winter Break. I'll have a lot of free time, and I've been playing Maple since 2005 (working with private servers since 2008) so I know my stuff. Can I get your MSN/Skype or something?

Oh and I bet you could look for some help on one of the MS Development forums. Lots of maple enthusiasts there.
To be honest, I think I'm pretty much done working on the project.
I did everything I wanted to do (graphics, cleaning up text and key item/names/locations) except for the Orange text (wrapped in ? ?) which needs an actual translation. Since I cannot read nor speak Korean, that means I can't do it.
I was able to muddle my way through the graphics editing by using some resources: hidden-street.net, Takiten's MapleStory translations and Google Translate/BabelFish (when I was doing the fairy/shop dialogue, essentially making everything up, and skill descriptions BUT CHECKED EVERYTHING AGAINST THE SKILLS EFFECTS INGAME!).

The only real assistance I could lend to a project would be editing for grammar and maybe some graphics editing that I didn't do/didn't find important.

Mantre

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well earlier this year i got the partially translated v.02b patched game onto my sd card, but can't take it off of it because of some error.
And none of my .exe work.
That error always shows up :'(
Thx for your info tho.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Mantre said:
Well earlier this year i got the partially translated v.02b patched game onto my sd card, but can't take it off of it because of some error.
And none of my .exe work.
That error always shows up :'(
Thx for your info tho.
Might want to copy anything you can from your MicroSD card and format using the Panasonic SD Formatter.
As for the problem you mentioned earlier, a screenshot of the error might help.

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
@ twiztidsinz: Could you upload your patch to another service like megaupload or hotfile or something, please?
I've tried to download it from your mediafire folder several times, with no success.

I usually have no trouble downloading from MF, but no amount of cookie clearing, cache deleting, alternative browser using or router rebooting seems to fix this one problem file (I was able to download your trim fix patch on the first try, curiously).
unsure.gif

If mediafire keeps tormenting me like this, I'm gonna get emotionally scarred or something.
wacko.gif

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
unz said:
twiztidsinz said:
Thanks for the prompt reply, but after several tries, all I get from the new link is a 2K file that 7zip can't open. Are you absolutely sure the archive isn't corrupted?
Right click the link and choose Copy Link
Paste it into a new browser tab/window

Apparently ByetHost doesn't like linking... but accepts direct downloading?

unz

Chaotic Neutral
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
twiztidsinz said:
Right click the link and choose Copy Link
Paste it into a new browser tab/window

Apparently ByetHost doesn't like linking... but accepts direct downloading?
Ok, that worked - finally managed to download and extract your patch successfully. Thanks for being so patient.
biggrin.gif

Still have no idea why MF wouldn't work for me though. I've downloaded files from them in the past, with no problems at all.
Judging by other people's posts in this thread though, I'm the only one who's had trouble. Very strange.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto