Homebrew Mame 2003 Plus

markwkidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Am I correct that what WiiU users would like is to have -fsigned-char set as a compiler flag for mame2003-plus?

I have just made that change to the Makefile so that it will be part of the libretro buildbot versions of RetroArch. We already set that flag for ARM architectures.

Is there anything else that needs to be done to better fit the core for WiiU?

Cecilmax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Am I correct that what WiiU users would like is to have -fsigned-char set as a compiler flag for mame2003-plus?

I have just made that change to the Makefile so that it will be part of the libretro buildbot versions of RetroArch. We already set that flag for ARM architectures.

Is there anything else that needs to be done to better fit the core for WiiU?

Awesome, can you share the new core download link ? I will test it tonight and let you know if the sound issue still there or not :)

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Awesome, can you share the new core download link ? I will test it tonight and let you know if the sound issue still there or not :)

I wonder, how a signed char or unsigned can cause sounds issues ??

markwkidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I wonder, how a signed char or unsigned can cause sounds issues ??

mame 0.78 was originally developed with only x86 processor architectures and compilers in mind. It seems that by default the compiler for WiiU provides unsigned chars but that is not what the m92 is built to assume.

This is based on my guess that the same issue applies to WiiU as ARM, it is an educated guess but just a guess.

I don't know how to compile a standalone core for WiiU. All I can say is that the new RetroArch nightly download will include this change whenever it gets uploaded to the libretro webserver over the next 24 hours.

Reactions: Cecilmax

Cecilmax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I remember I played and finished Spiderman on mame2003 on wiiu without any problem

which core do you use to play spiderman ? I try mame 2003 and I get DSI error unmapped memory ... I have couples of games displaying that error when I try to load them I dont know why..

Dcep1501

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Have you guys figured out how to get light gun games or steering wheel support on Wii Mame to work?

Cecilmax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I dont know why you need .dat i dont use these things. To find the roms im using here write on google mame 2003 archive

Hi, do you have any success running Zero Team game on FB Alpha ? On my side it run on Wii U but I have graphics garbage all the screen. I can press - to insert coin and hit start but graphics is completely garbage....

beerbarian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Great to see continuing optimizations on arcade cores for Wii, I'm doing some additional testing to see can we get a compatibility sheet going.
Question: is screen rotation implemented in these cores? I see that like many recent builds of RA, the screen rotation option (90 degree turns) in the Video settings is missing.
I see a TATE option in the core specific options screen but it doesn't seem to work, or at least I couldn't get it to.
Also is it possible to put back the game info splash screen like MAME 2000? The one that gives the board info and the screen resolution.
I find it's a very useful ready reckoner to manually switch to matched 240p/224p resolutions for CRTs on SCART.

Reactions: Linkuei

Cecilmax

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Screen rotation is in video settings when you turn show advance menu to on ;)

Great to see continuing optimizations on arcade cores for Wii, I'm doing some additional testing to see can we get a compatibility sheet going.
Question: is screen rotation implemented in these cores? I see that like many recent builds of RA, the screen rotation option (90 degree turns) in the Video settings is missing.
I see a TATE option in the core specific options screen but it doesn't seem to work, or at least I couldn't get it to.
Also is it possible to put back the game info splash screen like MAME 2000? The one that gives the board info and the screen resolution.
I find it's a very useful ready reckoner to manually switch to matched 240p/224p resolutions for CRTs on SCART.

Reactions: beerbarian

markwkidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
To see the Game Info screen with resolution etc you need to open the MAME menu. You can open the MAME menu by first opening the RetroArch "Quick Menu" and toggling the MAME Menu option. When you leave the Quick Menu you'll have access to the MAME menu.

Alternatively some map the MAME menu button to a controller button and access it that way. It's called the "game information" or "gameinfo"

beerbarian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
To see the Game Info screen with resolution etc you need to open the MAME menu. You can open the MAME menu by first opening the RetroArch "Quick Menu" and toggling the MAME Menu option. When you leave the Quick Menu you'll have access to the MAME menu.

Alternatively some map the MAME menu button to a controller button and access it that way. It's called the "game information" or "gameinfo"
The Quick Menu on these Wii cores doesn't seem to have a MAME menu option.
Nor is there the ability to map that function to a controller button.

Last edited by beerbarian,

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Sooo.. about the question I asked that got ignored.. a little help please?
You can't, light gun is not implemented in retroarch Mame.

The Quick Menu on these Wii cores doesn't seem to have a MAME menu option.
Nor is there the ability to map that function to a controller button.
By default, you open Mame menu with Wii classic controller ZR. From there you can access game info. To remap to another button : Quick menu -> Controls -> Button 8.

markwkidd
Here's the source and a diff : mame2003-plus-0.3_source_code
I had issues compiling with the latest sources and devkit. There have been so many commits for 2 months...

I've uploaded a v0.3 based on the latest mame2003-plus for those who want to test. Midway games removed unfortunately...

Reactions: beerbarian

markwkidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can't, light gun is not implemented in retroarch Mame.

That's not true in general -- mame2003 and mame2003-plus support multiple simultaneous lightguns.

Lightgun works fine via the RetroArch mouse interface and via the analog controls. I don't know anything about the Wii and WiiU operating system but if your device can be seen as a mouse or an analog device it will work fine.

On PC RetroArch I use a Dolphinbar with a Wiimote so that the Wiimote is seen as a mouse. It plays lightgun titles very well.

markwkidd

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I know it works on PC. I meant pointer on Wii. Mouse emulation works on Wii with mame but only with analog/d-pad.

Thank you very much for sending the code and diff patch. It seems like it would be possible on first glance to modify the standard Makefile to include the split Wii cores. I'll be studying it!

Wiimpathy

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Ok, probably one last little update because I'm a bit fed up with it now.

Mame2003 coreD

coreD test Source code

Sega32 and especially spiderman run ok. The v2 I posted was still slow or maybe I'm beginning to mix everything. Beware of the dol names, if you mix different versions, it could be an underscore(mame2003_) or a - (mame2003-). The bood.dol will return to Homebrew channel because of it.
It's a test based on a commit from march 27. Apart from the v60 workaround, the order of the drivers in driverwii.c matters. Right now, no way to make it work correctly in the latest mame2003 version.

SieKensou

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Ok, probably one last little update because I'm a bit fed up with it now.

Mame2003 coreD

coreD test Source code

Sega32 and especially spiderman run ok. The v2 I posted was still slow or maybe I'm beginning to mix everything. Beware of the dol names, if you mix different versions, it could be an underscore(mame2003_) or a - (mame2003-). The bood.dol will return to Homebrew channel because of it.
It's a test based on a commit from march 27. Apart from the v60 workaround, the order of the drivers in driverwii.c matters. Right now, no way to make it work correctly in the latest mame2003 version.
Great, thanks for the update.
¿Any idea of why Dragon Ball Z 2 from Bampresto doesn't load?

beerbarian

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
By default, you open Mame menu with Wii classic controller ZR. From there you can access game info. To remap to another button : Quick menu -> Controls -> Button 8.
Another "a-HA" moment, thank you!
I'll have to start a wiki to capture some of these useful but cryptic settings areas.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu