[LulzSec]Sega Hacked, LulzSec offers to help!?

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The hacking free-for-all continued this week as Sega apparently became the latest victim of a network breach and none other than hacking group LulzSec offered to help the game company by taking down the responsible parties.
The blog PlayStation LifeStyle posted yesterday what it said was a letter sent by Sega to users of its Sega Pass service, informing them that "unauthorized entry was gained" to the Sega Pass database and that the company is investigating.
"We have identified that a subset of Sega Pass members' e-mails addresses, dates of birth, and encrypted passwords were obtained," the letter reads. "To stress, none of the passwords obtained were stored in plain text. Please note that no personal payment information was stored by Sega, as we use external payment providers, meaning your payment details were not at risk from this intrusion."
The hack would be the latest in a recent explosion of such activity, which has skewered the likes of entertainment giant Sony, defense contractor Lockheed Martin, the U.S. Senate, and the FBI, among others.
The letter doesn't say who might be behind the intrusion; it simply continues with news on how Sega is responding to the hack, along with a couple of cautions:
If you use the same login information for other websites and/or services as you do for SEGA Pass, you should change that information immediately.
We have also reset your password and all access to SEGA Pass has been temporarily suspended.
Additionally we recommend you please take extra caution if you should receive suspicious e-mails that ask for personal or sensitive information.
As of this writing the Sega Pass service is in fact offline, but a notice says only that the service "is going through some improvements so is currently unavailable for new members to join or existing members to modify their details including resetting passwords." It also says Sega hopes to have Sega Pass "back up and running very soon."
Also yesterday, LulzSec, which has hacked Sony, Nintendo, and FBI affiliate Infragard Atlanta, among others, sent out a public tweet addressed to Sega: "@Sega - contact us," the tweet reads. "We want to help you destroy the hackers that attacked you. We love the Dreamcast, these people are going down."
Underscoring the current out-of-control atmosphere surrounding cybersecurity, LulzSec followed that tweet not long after with a note updating the phone numbers of the request-a-hack hotlines the group had set up earlier in the week.
Source

What do you guys think? I think "wow"

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
I'm really surprised.
ohmy.gif

Lulz, epic?

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
They're just mad that someone else beat them to hacking Sega first. It's okay when they steal personal information for the lulz, but heaven forbid anyone else has some lulz.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
jumpman17 said:
They're just mad that someone else beat them to hacking Sega first. It's okay when they steal personal information for the lulz, but heaven forbid anyone else has some lulz.

And TBH I can't see why they still like Sega. I mean how long has it being since they made anything decent? The DC days?

QUOTE(omgpwn666 @ Jun 19 2011, 05:07 PM) I think it's nice they're helping Sega. If only they would only do good. Haha

But they would definitely be breaking a law. Where as Graf might have but he can be damned? Hypocrite.

TheDreamLord

OP
Trophies
Website
darkraino1.zymichost.com
XP
Country
cwstjdenobs said:
jumpman17 said:

And TBH I can't see why they still like Sega. I mean how long has it being since they made anything decent? The DC days?
*coughs*
EVER HEAR OF SONIC COLOURS? lol

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
"To stress, none of the passwords obtained were stored in plain text"

Now I understand this is a press release not necessarily aimed at security types but should I have had the chance I might have mentioned if the passwords was hashed and salted properly. Certainly not enough information to so much as suggest wrongdoing but enough to have caught my eye.

cwstjdenobs

Sodomy non sapiens
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GameGeek said:
cwstjdenobs said:
TheDreamLord said:
*coughs*
EVER HEAR OF SONIC COLOURS? lol

Nope. The word Sonic has caused me to ignore shit for over ten years now.
...So in other words, you're one of those bandwagon jumpers who bash games they've never played? Cute.

I haven't played one game by them that had zero advertising so I'm jumping on the bandwagon? OK whatever.

But apart from that I still don't get the arbitrary decisions on who not to attack.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
hunter291 said:
Uhmm oO As far as I know, they hacked Nintendo. So they aren`t that big fans of nintendo xD

Well they hacked them and then said they wouldn't release any info that they hacked because they're "too big of fans of the SNES". They apparently wanted to point out the vulnerabilities to them so they could fix it.

Not defending LulzSec, but I think that was the case.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Guild McCommunist said:
hunter291 said:
Uhmm oO As far as I know, they hacked Nintendo. So they aren`t that big fans of nintendo xD

Well they hacked them and then said they wouldn't release any info that they hacked because they're "too big of fans of the SNES". They apparently wanted to point out the vulnerabilities to them so they could fix it.

Not defending LulzSec, but I think that was the case.
Yep, I remember them also mentioning they love N64.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Jaws is on a diet