Hacking Linux help, please?

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i'm not a programmer either, but I can give you my best understanding.

the 'framework' you often see people refer to are actually development 'libraries'. they contain the individual functions that a dev would call in his program, without having to re-write massive amounts of code each time.

for instance...
one function in this library could be to init the CPU. That process could be 1000+ lines of code. A dev could "#include" the necessary header file with that function, and just call the function by its name, like, "cpuinit();" it just simplifies life and ensures that devs are using the same libraries

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
:bow:

Code:
$ make
MAKEBIN    armboot.bin
Padding loader with 0x11c zeroes
Header: 0x10 bytes
Loader: 0x4d0 bytes
ELF:    0x77b4 bytes

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
okay, cool. *downloads* :P

Someone with a normal Wii could still test that first. It would just swap out with the armboot.bin from normal bootmii files and see if you can still get bootmii to run.

After that, just need a Wii U with a BootMii IOS installed :unsure: (which is the scary part) to test if it'll do the same thing on vWii.

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, cool. *downloads* :P

Someone with a normal Wii could still test that first. It would just swap out with the armboot.bin from normal bootmii files and see if you can still get bootmii to run.

After that, just need a Wii U with a BootMii IOS installed :unsure: (which is the scary part) to test if it'll do the same thing on vWii.

Don't have a normal Wii, so I guess I'm out.. I'll sign on as a tester for vWii, though.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Don't have a normal Wii, so I guess I'm out.. I'll sign on as a tester for vWii, though.
Yeah, I'll test it on my normal Wii when I get home, late tonight, if I can and then I'll pack my BootMii IOS into a WAD for any really brave souls to be able to test on their Wii U. (unless someone else beats me to it)

. . . also, for all I know, the normal armboot.bin might run just fine on vWii ... it just seems to me that my mod version would be less likely to crash.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
What mod did you do to the armboot.bin?
It usually uses boot2 to load things like the system menu, HBC or MIOS when exiting. Just it decides to crash at some point because of that, I cut out some of the references to boot2. The original armboot.bin might work just fine, which would be even better, but just in case, I thought it would be a good idea to make another option.

Fuffelpups

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Ich tried the modified armboot.bin on my Boot2 Wii, BootMii as IOS starts but if i want to exit it and hit the Reset Button nothing happens and i get a blue screen of nothing.

Reactions: Maxternal

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Ich tried the modified armboot.bin on my Boot2 Wii, BootMii as IOS starts but if i want to exit it and hit the Reset Button nothing happens and i get a blue screen of nothing.
Good, that's what it's supposed to do (exiting correctly requires Boot2 which Wii U doesn't have.)

Reactions: djbubba2002

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
So, what does this mean exactly....? A .wad file to compile? :unsure:
1 The WAD file I'll rip off of my Wii later.
2 The WAD file will be to install the BootMii IOS.
3 After installing, you tell HBC to load the IOS.
4 The IOS finds /bootmii/armboot.bin on the SD card and loads it.
5 In this case, armboot.bin loads /bootmii/ppcboot.elf from the SD card, too.
6 That's what makes BootMii show up on your screen.

If you use a different ppcboot.elf, it could load Linux instead of BootMii. Creating THAT ppcboot.elf file that contains the Linux kernel is the hard part.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The WAD file I'll rip off of my Wii later.
The WAD file will be to install the BootMii IOS.
After installing, you tell HBC to load the IOS.
The IOS finds /bootmii/armboot.bin on the SD card and loads it.
In this case, armboot.bin loads /bootmii/ppcboot.elf from the SD card, too.
That's what makes BootMii show up on your screen.

If you use a different ppcboot.elf, it could load Linux instead of BootMii. Creating THAT ppcboot.elf file that contains the Linux kernel is the hard part.

Okay, so this will be the path you guys will take that'll lead to the installation of Linux. Nice. Is this http://www.mediafire.com/?em5q15bb300q5d2 something else then? (From Post #68)

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
Okay, so this will be the path you guys will take that'll lead to the installation of Linux. Nice. Is this http://www.mediafire.com/?em5q15bb300q5d2 something else then? (From Post #68)
That file is the one mentioned in step 4 in my last post. The original one tries to interact with parts of the Wii that aren't there in vWii (boot2) so I was worried that it would just crash (also yet to be tested) so, just in case, I made another one that didn't make any attempt to touch boot2.

Now, you could ALSO try installing a boot2 WAD on your vWii ... but that sounds to me to be even more risky than just installing the BootMii IOS.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That file is the one mentioned in step 4 in my last post. The original one tries to interact with parts of the Wii that aren't there in vWii (boot2) so I was worried that it would just crash (also yet to be tested) so, just in case, I made another one that didn't make any attempt to touch boot2.

Now, you could ALSO try installing a boot2 WAD on your vWii ... but that sounds to me to be even more risky than just installing the BootMii IOS.

Gotcha, as this is still a very experimentally (and potentially unstable) thing to do atm, hence the thorough testing. Makes sense to me. It's hard to say how the vWii will react if the original .bin tries to interact with the nonexistent boot2 iOS, but if I'm understanding what you said, you made (or are going to make) another armboot.bin that doesn't touch the boot2 at all.

Dammit, I must sound like an idiot noob at this point....:( I'll stop asking trivial questions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o