Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm ready to Test this bad boy out..Let me know when its ready ..
Your sig was not on the threads at work for some reason. I thought you were beta testing the WiiKeyU. that is you right, who disclosed that? It is no threat to your work, or the work of those you beta tested for. Not now, time will tell if it will ever be a threat.

On a positive, thanks for volunteering, Maxternal will be pleased.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
A Linux dev responded, name redacted:

In it's current state, the work would likely be of little use (if any) to virtual Wii mode on the Wii U. Due to the low specs of the Wii U and the lack of free time I currently have, I won't be doing any Wii U related work and will be waiting until the successor to Wii U is released before doing anything like this again on another console. From what I can tell, virtual Wii mode on the Wii U will have similar limitations as what GameCube mode did on the Wii. For example, I don't see how it would even be possible to get all 3 cores running using only virtual Wii mode. If this was overcome somehow, than it definitely would be possible to implement in a kernel patch as most of the PowerPC work for this was already merged in mainline. Assuming your the same Ray Lewis that has been posting on "http://gbatemp.net/threads/linux-help-please.347856/", than you probably have about the same knowledge of the Wii U as I do now. Sorry it took so long for me to get back and that I wasn't of any help.

I'm sorry, but I'd rather take Marcan's word over this anonymous developer. I'd rather not deal with people who are trying to destroy what little headway we have on the Wii U hacking scene. Just saying. Why did he have to wait nearly a week to say this, when people like Maxternal has dedicated as much time as they have? I guess there won't be a way at all, to get this ball rolling.

Shadow LAG

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here's my logic on this- and correct me if I'm wrong.

1. vWii is an isolated sandbox.
2. Bricking vWii does not brick U mode.
3. WiiU can access vWii hardware, thus factory reset/restore should return device to factory specs?

In any case, if Max gives it a go, I'll give it a go.

Then, you have a slew of other users just waiting to test this.

If I correctly understand your post (and please correct me if I am mistaken), you are assuming that a factory reset will repair damages to the vWii system image. I do not believe this to be the case because that would assume that in the NAND there is a backup somewhere of a fresh VWii initialization. I find this to be extremely far fetched as I do not personally believe Nintendo would include such a function as there should not be a scenario when a user needs system level software repair. Rather the factory reset function would remove user installed saves, configs, and wad channels but not touch IOS or any other system level functions. I believe you would need a NAND backup for a complete fix.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Only shared, looking for heavy hitters who are altruistic. This dev worked on a Wii port and is in the crowd of "Not worth it.". This is a big reason I mention the 360 approach. Comex is helping but those issues Marcan mentioned? I do think we can load Linux and Maxternal is a rock...but after that? Is the Wii U already being cancelled? Is it leaked that it will have a 2-3 year life? If not less? So next Nintendo system already planned? Lol, 1.5 current MS/Sony designs about to be released? If Marcan and others don't have any motivation then give keys/ways to get "per system keys" and nand stuff, then let devs take protections out of dash and disable auto updates. Then walk away, lol. Piracy here, it seems, but no homebrew or chance at homebrew if we don't do this. Thinking only ones interested are on this thread or waiting for Wii U mode to be publicly unlocked. More likely somebody else takes this route. Idiotic but this has happened before. Everything there, drivers, system files, and with ability to run anything (try to) I think this may be best shot.

Reasons for not doing it are happening already. Need to see units go on sale and rips appear to be sure. Keep trying but if we don't get the ppc types, the Linux types involved then I don't see how we get something usable for what Marcan envisions.

I guess some people either had bad experiences or encountered antagonistic people along the way, who knows, but to have so much knowledge and not share it, that's the saddest part of all.

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If I correctly understand your post (and please correct me if I am mistaken), you are assuming that a factory reset will repair damages to the vWii system image. I do not believe this to be the case because that would assume that in the NAND there is a backup somewhere of a fresh VWii initialization. I find this to be extremely far fetched as I do not personally believe Nintendo would include such a function as there should not be a scenario when a user needs system level software repair. Rather the factory reset function would remove user installed saves, configs, and wad channels but not touch IOS or any other system level functions. I believe you would need a NAND backup for a complete fix.
I agree, but with full Wii U control as in hacked wide open;-). Good chance then. Sorry about the confusion. Some maintain the factory reset will fix a vWii brick; not going to find out.

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With Linux running on the vWii, we could potentially have a slew of other 'tools' we can use to find what hardware is 'visible' to the kernel. Go from there. Obviously if certain hardware not detected, could be due to lack of drivers, or physical boundaries in the architecture.

If I think about the vWii like a VM as we know it, we can emulate hardware to a certain degree, but at what cost? this remains to be seen. I think baby steps are important here. First, get Linux on it, even BootMii on vWii is further than we were along before.

Reactions: Ray Lewis

Ray Lewis

Banned!
OP
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
okay, I have the WAD and the other stuff packed for the test. Since I don't have a Wii U, I need a PM from someone who's willing to potentially completely lose their vWii out of their Wii U (just in case ... I hope it works but can make no promises.)
djbubba2002 volunteered as he has a few Wii U systems just laying around.
I might have missed it; you tried this on Wii? I think somebody else said they tried in on Wii? Maybe I misread.

Maxternal

Peanut Gallery Spokesman
Trophies
Website
gbadev.googlecode.com
XP
Country
djbubba2002 volunteered as he has a few Wii U systems just laying around.
I might have missed it; you tried this on Wii? I think somebody else said they tried in on Wii? Maybe I misread.
my mod was already tested on a normal wii a few posts back. That part, though, was just to make sure it didn't crash on normal wii so that IF it did on a vWii we could have something to compare to.

the dangerous part, though, (bootmii IOS) has always worked fine on a normal wii so that part's not much comfort.

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never owned a regular Wii, and as such, I'm not too sure as to how I would go about 'testing' this.
If Maxternal could chime in, and perhaps document a procedure on how to go about testing this, that would help our fellow testers (myself included).
Working off of the assumption that the testers already have HBC installed and working.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've never owned a regular Wii, and as such, I'm not too sure as to how I would go about 'testing' this.
If Maxternal could chime in, and perhaps document a procedure on how to go about testing this, that would help our fellow testers (myself included).
Working off of the assumption that the testers already have HBC installed and working.

Already installed the HBC on vWii without an issue (never had it crash once on me), I hope there will be a way to restore the NAND in vWii mode in the near future.

Ninja_Carver

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Already installed the HBC on vWii without an issue (never had it crash once on me), I hope there will be a way to restore the NAND in vWii mode in the near future.
I think I was misunderstood. Let's assume our testers already have HBC installed on their vWii, and document steps to be taken for testing from that base.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: https://youtu.be/eFb28u5GPsU?si=35a7C58FgPbaxIMm