Gaming [Leak] CoD: Black Ops 4 on Switch

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And that's cheap for them to do because HDDs are cheap, but again, also less reliable than solid state in the long-term. It's by no means Sony's solution, PCs were using HDDs when consoles were still using proprietary memory cards. Obviously Nintendo is not having issues selling Switches just because they use mSDs.
I meant it's the solution Sony used, not it's one they came up with. I understand what you're saying, but I'm saying it's Nintendo's problem so Nintendo should have a solution. I just don't think it should be passed on to third parties.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I meant it's the solution Sony used, not it's one they came up with. I understand what you're saying, but I'm saying it's Nintendo's problem so Nintendo should have a solution. I just don't think it should be passed on to third parties.
Their storage solution is mSD. I wouldn't be surprised to see Switch bundles with 256GB mSDs down the line. Cartridge/disc size really doesn't matter when the vast majority of data ends up on the console's storage anyway. Regardless of which console we're talking about.

Last edited by Xzi,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States

If they opted for another option, one of two things would happen. The Switch would be a dedicated home console, or the price would go up. With the former, that implies HDD usage. Which, a mechanical drive on the move is prone to damage. The latter implies a SSD or higher storage capacity. That or higher cost for games, with a larger cartridge storage. They COULD have gone disc for cheaper but larger capacities, but that's an issue in and of itself. Would probably leave it as a home console as well.

Using MicroSDs is as good as we'll get for now. That's perfectly fine. You pay for the storage you'll actually use. Some don't even fill the PS4 or Xbox One.. Crazy right? Given average game sizes...

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If they opted for another option, one of two things would happen. The Switch would be a dedicated home console, or the price would go up. With the former, that implies HDD usage. Which, a mechanical drive on the move is prone to damage. The latter implies a SSD or higher storage capacity. That or higher cost for games, with a larger cartridge storage. They COULD have gone disc for cheaper but larger capacities, but that's an issue in and of itself. Would probably leave it as a home console as well.

Using MicroSDs is as good as we'll get for now. That's perfectly fine. You pay for the storage you'll actually use. Some don't even fill the PS4 or Xbox One.. Crazy right? Given average game sizes...
yeah average game sizes being 50+gbs is ridiculous, with a 500gb ps4 you can hardly fit 10 AAA games :s

Reactions: Kioku

invaderyoyo

invader
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Their storage solution is mSD. I wouldn't be surprised to see Switch bundles with 256GB mSDs down the line. Cartridge/disc size really doesn't matter when the vast majority of data ends up on the console's storage anyway. Regardless of which console we're talking about.
Right, but it doesn't come with an mSD. That cost gets pushed on to me. Even then, 256 + 32 = 288. 288gb isn't much. Sure, if your games are highly stylized, like Nintendo's, that's all you'll ever need, but what about third party games?

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Right, but it doesn't come with an mSD. That cost gets pushed on to me. Even then, 256 + 32 = 288. 288gb isn't much. Sure, if your games are highly stylized, like Nintendo's, that's all you'll ever need, but what about third party games?
Honestly, your game doesn't have to be highly stylized to fit on a 16GB cart. Strip out the high resolution textures that Switch can't make use of anyway, and the vast majority of games end up at 20GB or less. There are very few games you're gonna find on the eShop bigger than that, whether they be Nintendo or third-party.

Stuff on PC that comes in at 50-70GB is simply a result of laziness because the devs know they don't have to compress for PC.

Last edited by Xzi,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty