League of Legends now a professional sport?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
On (motor) racing.
There are many questionable things labelled a sport (snooker seems to get in at various points) but most types of motor racing do require people to be seriously fit to partake in it.

Anyway I can not find myself with any opinion worth expressing about this.

chyyran

somehow a weeb now.
Developer
Trophies
Website
ronnchyran.com
XP
Country
Canada
What about Dota (2) D:

League, and other MOBAs are fun to play and watch, but once you call certain games a sport, it'll just be opening a floodgate. First, LCS. Then, Starcraft and Dota.

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just as bothered by the fact that it's a video game as I am that it's League of Legends.

It's the fucking joke trash of eSports, and I don't even play MOBA's anymore. Shame that people caved in just because there were a lot of people playing it.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I can't say much on behalf of LoL as I don't know the game, but I don't see why the decision should be bad in any way. Not all sports are about physical activity (chess, anyone?), and LoL certainly isn't the first video game which is played at a very competitive edge.

Also: what the "having no life" has to do with anything? It's not just because you're a cyber athlete (yes, that's a term), you give up on everything else. Unless you're in the top brackets of the world competition. But hey...if you think their counterparts of 'real' sports have much of a life left, you'd be mistaken.

Flame: ask the same about starcraft in south korea and you'll be surprised about the answer.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

2ndApex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
K title'd a little bit misleading.

Just found out that the purpose of this is to allow foreign players to get VISAs and travel to tournaments like athletes can, it's not actually any real sort of athletic recognition. Update the OP please before more people start raging.

On another note, I hate the term eSports because of how butthurt people get because of the automatic connection/comparison they try to make with IRL sports.

ForteGospel

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well, for those uninformed, right now the world championship finals are being contested in LA... and if 2ndApex was right it does seems to fit that many players would need a visa for that

Haloman800

a real gril
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Video games can be competitive, that does not make them a "sport".

IMO (and actually, according to its very definition) you have to be doing something physically active for it to be considered a sport. Baseball is a sport, martial arts is a sport, driving your car is not a sport, much less sitting in a chair and staring at a monitor for hours on end.

Sop

groovy dude lmao
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Video games can be competitive, that does not make them a "sport".

IMO (and actually, according to its very definition) you have to be doing something physically active for it to be considered a sport. Baseball is a sport, martial arts is a sport, driving your car is not a sport, much less sitting in a chair and staring at a monitor for hours on end.

“a human activity capable of achieving a result requiring physical exertion and/or physical skill, which, by its nature and organisation, is competitive and is generally accepted as being a sport.”

martial arts are not a sport, martial arts are a form of self defense or meditation if you do tai chi

unless you compete, in which case it could be classified as a sport

vidya games are esports

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
martial arts are not a sport, martial arts are a form of self defense or meditation if you do tai chi

unless you compete, in which case it could be classified as a sport

Given discus, javelin and similar such things also originate in war/martial techniques where do they sit?

IMO (and actually, according to its very definition) you have to be doing something physically active for it to be considered a sport.... driving your car is not a sport....

Depending upon what you are doing playing with motors they can need just as much physical fitness and skill. On the flip side where does throwing the ball around, shooting hoops, kicking a ball around fall into this.

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I always thought they still differentiated between sports and e-sports.
on the other hand, if chess can be some kind of sport, why not?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.