League of Legends now a professional sport?

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by Xarsah16, Jul 13, 2013.

1. Xarsah16
    OP

Xarsah16 GBATemp's Official Village Dingus/Idiot

Oct 6, 2007
    Hyrule
    So, according to articles from Gamnesia and IGN - League of Legends was just legally accepted as a sport by the United States Government - placing it in the same category as basketball, baseball, football, soccer, etc... actual real sports.

What do you think of this? Personally, I believe it is incredibly stupid. Videogaming is either just a hobby, or an industry depending on which side you're looking at it from.

I never liked MMO games- but to just single out one and not include others like WoW seems really strange to me. I'm also wondering what's becoming of the US Government. XD

Sources:
    http://www.gamnesia.com/news/us-gov...Gamnesia)&utm_content=FaceBook#When:21:28:00Z
    http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/07/12/us-government-recognizes-league-of-legends-lsc-as-sport

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    The difference between WoW and LoL is that one is an MMO and one is a MOBA - two very different genres entirely. One requires strategic thinking and teamwork, one both require you to have no life - guess which one is the sport. :yay:

In any case, this isn't the first time something like this happens, really. Starcraft is practically Korea's national sport since the day it was released. Unlike in other Asian countries, it is not the social standing or occupation that determines whether the father of a maiden accepts you into the family and allows you to propose to her - it's your position on the Battle.Net ladder and whether or not you can beat him 1/1 on Lost Temple. If you no prey cybersport, you disgrace to famiry. ;O;

3. Xarsah16
    OP

Oct 6, 2007
    Hyrule
    I've seen both consume friend's lives in equally the same way - so I don't think there's a difference in that regard XD

4. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    This makes me hurt on every level of my conscience, my being, and existence.

EZ-Megaman, 2ndApex and Xarsah16 like this.
  5. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    ...you have a point.

One requires strategic thinking and teamwork, both require you to have no life. How does that sound? :yay:

gamefan5, BortzANATOR and Xarsah16 like this.
  6. BORTZ

BORTZ "Another stunning Van Gogh"

Supervisor
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    I really really dont want to live on this planet anymore.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  7. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    I dunno... for people so seem to rankle over its inclusion, I'd suppose you would have to also be bothered by chess being considered a sport as well.

Unless you're cool with inconsistent beliefs. You cool with that?

Veho, Ammako and porkiewpyne like this.
  8. soulx

soulx GBAtemp Legend

Apr 4, 2009
    Canada
    So I'm guessing this will boost the public's perception of professional gaming from incredibly pathetic to pretty pathetic.

Traversal, Ron and gamefan5 like this.
  9. Xarsah16
    OP

Oct 6, 2007
    Hyrule
    Not really. Sitting there and exercising your brain is different than physically getting out and hitting a ball or passing it to your team while running to the hoop at the other end of the court. Chess should have remained just a world famous board game - sport is taking it a little too far.

Yeah, that sums it up nicely.

10. Celice

Celice GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    In that case, what are you saying not really to? You're agreeing that neither LoL nor Chess are sports.

:huh:

As for what constitutes a sport, I've seen opinions divided over the necessity of physical activity and the necessity of competition. One of the problems of using physical activity as a standard is what constitutes the threshold of a sport and a non-sport--and is that threshold arbitrary? If so, is that even a good measure of what a sport ought to be considered?

Narayan and porkiewpyne like this.
  11. WatchGintama

WatchGintama GBAtemp Maniac

Feb 22, 2009
    United States
    Dat garen is such a ball hog.

[​IMG]

Satangel and luigiman1928 like this.
  12. Bobbyloujo

Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    United States
    As Celice said, you really have to define 'sport'. The first definition on Dictionary.com states that a sport is "an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess". However, if you look at the more general definitions you'll see definitions like "diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime." In this case, there is no need for physical activity.

The most general definitions of 'sport' don't require there to be any physical activity. The idea that 'sport' implies physical activity may just be a connotation.

13. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ I drool on my knife

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Just why? .-.

14. Hop2089

Hop2089 Cute>Hot

Jan 31, 2008
    United States
    This is from the same government who said Pizza was a vegetable, they can't be taken seriously anymore.

15. Bobbyloujo

Bobbyloujo I am a millipede, I am amazing.

Jul 24, 2010
    United States
    United States
    They said that the tomato sauce on the pizza counts as a vegetable not the entire pizza itself. They said this so that pizza could still be served in school. I don't know about other schools, but the "healthy" crap they served at my high school was awful. Kids aren't going to want to eat nasty food. Unhealthy food is better than no food at all.

Gahars likes this.
  16. Danny600kill

Danny600kill xD

Aug 3, 2009
    United States
    Manchester
    I can kind of see why they would class this as a sport , especially knowing how big things like starcraft are in certain nations. I don't understand why people are hating or "losing faith in humanity" due to this , there are many sports such as the above mentioned Chess or extreme ironing that you wouldn't naturally associate with sports, this doesn't ruin sports.

Sports can be broken down into categories , such as Extreme / Team / Water ect so I don't understand why there can't be a video game/interactive media sub category?

porkiewpyne likes this.
  17. Tom Bombadildo

Tom Bombadildo Honk!

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    Tom Bombadildo is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 11, 2009
    United States
    I forgot
    Great, this means people like BI can claim he's an athlete.

DinohScene likes this.
  18. emigre

emigre Has complex motives

Jan 28, 2009
    London
    If darts, F1 and fox hunting are regarded as sports than I can accept LoL.

EZ-Megaman, Narayan and porkiewpyne like this.
  19. Flame

Flame Me > You

Jul 15, 2008
    someone who plays LOL is not going to get a blowjob from a hot top model.

[​IMG]

20. ThatDudeWithTheFood

ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

Mar 9, 2009
    United States
    Illuminati
    Racing and Fishing are sports so yeah I'm alright with it.
    Actually I'm not because it's League of Legends. Why not any other game?