L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Sticker

Sticker Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 1, 2018
    Vietnam
    I got the same problem when I connect with 4k monitor. Switch to 2k one and everything work fine. This version not supported 4k yet

2. stefan230

stefan230 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2019
    Germany
    Haha. i need to try out blender on the switch. Working on blender on the switch was fine for you? Also can you check out if you can use the tegra's GPU-Cores to make a render in blender. I imagine rendering on the CPU might take some time with only 4 threads. But the gpu might be quite potent if render-settings a correctly set.

Is blender installable from the official repos or do I need to compile it from source?

Thanks for helping me out on github. ^^

Would you be interested in helping writing a setup guide for hangover on the switch?

I wouldn't been able to get it running without your fix. I didn't figured out anything on my raspberry pi3 running raspbian but on the switch it was fixed and done in a lot of time and rerunning the "make" command a few times. I don't know if I got everything set up correctly, but thats be solved next I guess.

I just tried installing a game yesterday. It was a rather weird to be honest, but it is a nice proof of concept. Installing was rather cumbersome and didn't work out quite right (files are missing due to CRC Mismatches). I will have to test a bit further with some other DRM-free, maybe also some indies from my steam library.

Maybe if we all come together there might be something really cool on the "Horizon".

3. KamatsuKyoto

KamatsuKyoto Newbie

Newcomer
    May 5, 2019
    Brazil
    Sorry for the dumb question, but is possible to run Steam or SteamOS on L4T?

4. stefan230

stefan230 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 1, 2019
    Germany
    Steam doesn't have an ARM Port of any Kind. So no. SteamOS also isn't availiable since its a whole other Operating System.

KamatsuKyoto likes this.
  5. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Already been confirmed that Kodi outputs 4k 30fps perfectly fine

6. PokOeLe

PokOeLe Member

Newcomer
    May 1, 2019
    Afghanistan
    Good question. Maybe it's not a SD card problem at all, but instead a switch version problem. Maybe some data collection will help us to figure out what is going on.

My console:
    Nintendo Switch HAC-001
    general serial number: XAJ70000000000..unpatched
    Firmware 8.0.1 (updated with ChoiDujour from 6.something )
    The console runs perfectly atmosphere, but has difficulties to boot L4T ( and when it boots into the configuration procedure, it crashed after the selection of username/psw screen). I've tried with 3 SD cards - 64Gb Samsung Evo plus, 128Gb Samsung Evo plus, 16GB SanDisk Ultra.

7. DerEineee

DerEineee GBAtemp Regular

Aug 22, 2015
    Germany
    Is it possible to run Desmume or any other ds emulator on this linux version?

haaskub likes this.
  8. Kubas_inko

Kubas_inko "Something funny goes here."

Feb 3, 2017
    Czech Republic
    I gues on earth.
    @bylaws With bigger eMMC size (I personally have 128gb), would it be possible to install it onto it?
    Also, this is a really great achievement. Fully featured ubuntu on Switch, yey. But oh my god, it is so slow/laggy :rofl:

Last edited by Kubas_inko, May 5, 2019
  9. stick267

stick267 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 17, 2018
    United States
    Thanks a ton for this. Works perfectly. Do you know if there's a way to map the scroll wheel on the mouse?

Last edited by stick267, May 5, 2019
  10. coppertj

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2017
    United States
    Amazing work! it actually boots on my switch!
    I have a question however, do USB hubs work?

11. enderer

enderer GBAtemp Regular

Jul 19, 2015
    United States
    trying to test 4k video, got the file split (finally) just need to set the split parts into a playlist.

anyone know how to make a playlist in the default video player?

12. uyjulian

uyjulian Homebrewer

Nov 26, 2012
    United States
    United States
    Yes

13. coppertj

coppertj GBAtemp Regular

May 26, 2017
    United States
    Do both non powered hub and powered hubs work?

14. Conan179

Conan179 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2015
    Germany
    @enderer why 4k? The Output from the Switch is only 1080p (fullhd)

Last edited by Conan179, May 5, 2019
  15. enderer

enderer GBAtemp Regular

Jul 19, 2015
    United States
    when i dock my switch running l4t ubuntu, it displays 2160p. i read that the default video player has hw rendering (not sure about technicals, but it should play 4k video), so i'm testing it. i've never watched a 4k movie before and i think it would be cool to do so without buying a new device. the one split part of the video plays without skipping, with minimal choppiness.

so now all i need is to make a playlist to auto-play each split part

EDIT: so i just highlighted all part files and opened with videos (right click). i was hoping to find a way to do it with just the touch screen, but meh, this is close enough.

Last edited by enderer, May 5, 2019
    Conan179 likes this.
  16. Niels Van Son

Niels Van Son Unspecified Life Form

Jan 1, 2016
    France
    Mirepoix, Ariège, Occitanie
    To test decoding possibilities. Besides, the tegra X1 can probably handle 4K outputting, though it would require time and effort to get this working (And wouldn't give much benefits)

EDIT : My bad, 4K output's already there.

Last edited by Niels Van Son, May 5, 2019
    lordelan and Conan179 like this.
  17. mugman16

mugman16 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2017
    United Kingdom
    hey so im running that new linux build and i dont want to overclock. when i do To limit cpu freq, run cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_available_frequencies.Ffind the one you want, then run: echo <freq you want> | sudo tee /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_max_freq it returns with 102000, 20400 306000 going on in that fashion to 173400. does anybody know which one of these will give me similar results to the stock horizon cpu speed?

18. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    The switch is capable of UHD 30fps. The chipset is capable of UHD 60fps but is limited by the version of hdmi used.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

102000 should be almost stock speed

lordelan and mugman16 like this.
  19. Neo_

Neo_ Member

Newcomer
    Jan 28, 2017
    I have problems with Internet connection. It sucessfully connected to my wifi during the installation process but later it didn't work and didn't find any wifi network.

Last edited by Neo_, May 5, 2019
  20. mugman16

mugman16 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 6, 2017
    United Kingdom
    hey thanks for that fast reply