L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

XxAsunaxX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm I the only one that can't change any settings on Dolphin besides the ones that you can check them?

For exemple backend, when I press it, doesn't do anything.

Edit: Using a mouse, let's me change those options.

Last edited by XxAsunaxX,

Liv2MsTrb8T

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
grevsev.artstation.com
XP
Country
United States
For anyone interested in 3D modeling (Or modding on the switch for the switch), Blender runs disgustingly well on this thing.
Camera movement works beautifully with the Joycons. Its also devouring a 560K polygon sculpt I decimated from Zbrush so im sure high poly modeling and sculpting works decent.

I'm hoping that the wacom digitizer in my Surface will just werk during a stream session. (Works with ALL the Notes and remote desktop ) So I can play with the pressure sensitivity and performance.

Imagine hooking up an eGPU to this for substance painter and gimp.. Its the most cybp device in your house right now.

PokOeLe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
@bylaws I have updates for you and for all the guys that have problems with their SD.
After my update where I said that with a 16GB SanDisk sd card I was able to boot the system.. well,.. I couln't anymore till today.
I'm using hekate_ctcaer_4.10.1.bin to boot my Atmosphere without problems, but it seems that it doesn't want to boot L4T.
Instead from: ------- web luncher ------ I booted the preloaded version of Heckate and this is able to boot Linux.
Btw. I still have a problem. after choosing username and passoword in the config, linux starts to load the configs and the switch turns off.
I tried to boot it again.. but nothing.

Last edited by PokOeLe,

AveSatanas

Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
Having alot of issues with what I believe are the graphics drivers?

Sometimes after a reboot I can get to the login screen but logging in just boots me straight back to the log in screen, google seems to suggest that this is a graphics driver error, is it worth attempting to update the drivers? Anyone else having this issue?

It's also seemingly getting harder and harder to get linux to take on fresh installs now, used to work straight away now Im having to try 3 or 4 times.

Edit: entering commands in terminal have now also caused black screens twice, with the log in screen showing up in portrait mode. This is on a clean install. Bizzare.
Don't try to update the drivers manually. Tegras are different from desktop chipsets, and you're quite likely to make something wrong and break your install.

Hey guys, I don't suppose anyone has another link or could upload to mega or Google drive? I don't know why but I've been trying to download this for a couple of days and the maximum download speed I get is 15kb/s..... i have a 50mbps connection, or any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I've tried using firefox, chrome, fdm download manager, and even jdownloader all with the same results? I live in Australia if that helps.
Thanks guys
Wouldn't make much of a difference. The host is behind cloudflare, and is distributed through the cloudflare CDN that's closest to you. Are you sure that you get 50mbps everywhere, not just on speedtest?

gptriple

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
@bylaws I have updates for you and for all the guys that have problems with their SD.
After my update where I said that with a 16GB SanDisk sd card I was able to boot the system.. well,.. I couln't anymore till today.
I'm using hekate_ctcaer_4.10.1.bin to boot my Atmosphere without problems, but it seems that it doesn't want to boot L4T.
Instead .....I booted the preloaded version of Heckate and this is able to boot Linux.
Btw. I still have a problem. after choosing username and passoword in the config, linux starts to load the configs and the switch turns off.
I tried to boot it again.. but nothing.
I tried your solution for boot but didn't work for me

stefan230

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Well I got hangover working on the switch. And it works (somehow atleast) Though not really usable because its a proof of concept. But I think I might post a setup guide in some time after i got some things figured out. Probs to the devs of this cool thing though. I would post a lik to github but I am not allowed to. So this teaser here has to be enough lol

edit I should have included the systeminfo in that screenshot lol. Seems legit. But it was running on a switch. I will make a better one tomorow lol

Attachments

• Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-05-04 22-52-53.png
    Bildschirmfoto vom 2019-05-04 22-52-53.png
    303.9 KB · Views: 155
Last edited by stefan230,

PokOeLe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Afghanistan
Well I got hangover working on the switch. And it works (somehow atleast) Though not really usable because its a proof of concept. But I think I might post a setup guide in some time after i got some things figured out. Probs to the devs of this cool thing though. I would post a lik to github but I am not allowed to. So this teaser here has to be enough lol

edit I should have included the systeminfo in that screenshot lol. Seems legit. But it was running on a switch. I will make a better one tomorow lol
What is that?

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

I tried your solution for boot but didn't work for me

:gun: I'm also quite sick of trying it.
I've flashed my 2 SD , one 16 GB SanDisk and the other 64GB Samsung more than 20 times each.
I've tried many combos, boot with update, boot without update... does it work ? NO. If it boots and if it boots seems random, then, you can't finish the installation process. And I had no success to boot after the linux installer crashed. (so I had to flash again and cross my fingers).

@bylaws I wanted anyway to ask what is the device that shows up when Linux is booting and the switch is attached to the computer.
I see it as /dev/tty.usbmodem14101 I tried to see if it was a serial monitor connecting to it through my terminal and screen, but with no success. There is no output.
There is anyway to get some output while the Linux is booting in order to see where it's hanging ?
There is anyway I can help with your project?

Thanks

CalcProgrammer1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Nice work, I got it running last night as well and tried several apps. Ones that worked include Notepad++, Sublime Text 3, putty, IrfanView, OpenJK dedicated server, and most Installshield based installers. A lot still did not work in my tests but the apps that did work were surprisingly usable.

Reactions: achoissoumsaco

BigredBra

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Wouldn't make much of a difference. The host is behind cloudflare, and is distributed through the cloudflare CDN that's closest to you. Are you sure that you get 50mbps everywhere, not just on speedtest?[/QUOTE]

It did help actually, I used nordvpn connected through to a USA server and finished it in 20 mins :)

parkerlreed

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For anyone interested in 3D modeling (Or modding on the switch for the switch), Blender runs disgustingly well on this thing.
Camera movement works beautifully with the Joycons. Its also devouring a 560K polygon sculpt I decimated from Zbrush so im sure high poly modeling and sculpting works decent.

I'm hoping that the wacom digitizer in my Surface will just werk during a stream session. (Works with ALL the Notes and remote desktop ) So I can play with the pressure sensitivity and performance.

Imagine hooking up an eGPU to this for substance painter and gimp.. Its the most cybp device in your house right now.

I don't think it has Thunderbolt. Wouldn't be able to do eGPU

hinksta

Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Hey guys, so I tried to set up L4T today on my switch however it is stuck on a blank screen and doesn't do anything, after booting from hekate. Strangely enough my partners switch boots it immediately (with the same microSD card and installation - SanDisk Extreme 32GB) so wondering if there is a driver issue with booting on newer switches? His was bought on launch however mine was bought in august 2018 (unpatched obviously).

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 (🐑🐑) 🦛 🐦 🦌🐑 🦛🐦 (🐑🐑)