L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, Since I announced this on Discord....

I am probably going move all linux related stuff to another thread in anticipation for the release of Arch Linux(And it's derivatives) and gentoo(Which, I am doing the initial testing on the repo at the moment)

I also have to look over GlobalC's Fedora stuff, and will put together a repository for Fedora, and other RPM based Distros.

That basically will bring support to any of the derivitives, so L4T-Linux should become a new catagory for this site, this thread should be moved, and I can maintain questions, and fixes better.

All of that being said, there is still a lot of support to add for Cuda, OpenMax, and TensorRT. Mainly I still need to port the debs to the other distro's, but organizing, testing, compiling, etc has kept me busy the last month or so.

For all of those waiting on a Kali build, we havnt forgotton you, but Kali has no arm64 repo that I could find. that being said, I will be pushing a prebuilt BlackArch System for you guys. You want Kali, then get to talking to the Kali devs for an Arm64 Version, and I will port it as well(Probably better option, as kali and ubuntu are basically the same under the hood)

So, For those who were curious, The dev's and I have been hard at work to get these repo's built, tested, and put together for you all, and I am proud to announce that the initial releases are just around the corner. ;) Stay tuned, and I promise I will update this soon.

KidCanada

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Is there a way to do a Copy & Paste once l4t is up and running without using an external keyboard? I really don't feel like purchasing the adapter and a keyboard just so that I can paste stuff into Terminal. Are you able to right click with the joycons once connected somehow? I tried manually entering some code into terminal for the dolphin emulator but I had no luck with it.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is there a way to do a Copy & Paste once l4t is up and running without using an external keyboard? I really don't feel like purchasing the adapter and a keyboard just so that I can paste stuff into Terminal. Are you able to right click with the joycons once connected somehow? I tried manually entering some code into terminal for the dolphin emulator but I had no luck with it.
You can use the onscreen keyboard, it works if you turn it into a full keyboard, it is in the preferences. Even has F keys.

Reactions: avattar

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
still having issues with l4t, cant get livepatch to work, keeps saying "failed to setup livepatch, try again"

That would probably be because the kernel doesnt support it. ;) Build a new kernel, with support, and I bet it starts working. You would also probably need to build a modular kernel. @bell07 has been working on one for Gentoo.

Reactions: avattar

Lucas95

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
That would probably be because the kernel doesnt support it. ;) Build a new kernel, with support, and I bet it starts working. You would also probably need to build a modular kernel. @bell07 has been working on one for Gentoo.
ok il give that a try, not gonna lie l4t ubuntu is the first version of linux ive ever tried, ive always been a mac user so im completely new to this, il have to do some research on building kernels

SwordfishII

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried installing the "noob" version a couple times in different cards and never got it to boot. No idea why I did that since it really isn't much easier.

Upon getting the switchroot image and the 1.5 update (cause why not be bleeding edge,) it boots no problem on a card that only black screened before.

Other items I noticed:
1. Touching the top menu doesn't work. Like ever.
2. Uninstalling stuff via the software menu (like libreoffice) while connected to a network resulted in it reinstalling after it uninstalled. No idea why. Disconnected and it worked.
3. Sudo apt-get upgrade looks like it says almost everything is no longer required and can be autoremoved. This can't be normal.....
4. Touchscreen freezes up on me randomly.

Haven't tried playing with joycons yet and still need to resize the partition and add a swap file.

Any one have directions to dual boot atmosphere? Seems like another boot folder on the same fat32 would conflict. Unless hekate can recognize another fat32 partition?

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I tried installing the "noob" version a couple times in different cards and never got it to boot. No idea why I did that since it really isn't much easier.

Upon getting the switchroot image and the 1.5 update (cause why not be bleeding edge,) it boots no problem on a card that only black screened before.

Other items I noticed:
1. Touching the top menu doesn't work. Like ever.
2. Uninstalling stuff via the software menu (like libreoffice) while connected to a network resulted in it reinstalling after it uninstalled. No idea why. Disconnected and it worked.
3. Sudo apt-get upgrade looks like it says almost everything is no longer required and can be autoremoved. This can't be normal.....
4. Touchscreen freezes up on me randomly.

Haven't tried playing with joycons yet and still need to resize the partition and add a swap file.

Any one have directions to dual boot atmosphere? Seems like another boot folder on the same fat32 would conflict. Unless hekate can recognize another fat32 partition?

1. Because touchscreen resolution is off by about 10px, this can be fixed in dtb, but you will need to recompile it.
2. I dont know, seems like a weird ubuntu issue.
3. It should install the new version of the app, assuming that something depends on it still. So, a library shouldnt be removed, unless nothing depends on it.
4. Touch screen fixes from android arent great, as the problem isnt the driver, but the fact there are 4 different touch screens from factory(not including after market replacements) that all have different firmware files, that our driver doesnt use. it is a known issue, and will be fixed, eventually.
ok il give that a try, not gonna lie l4t ubuntu is the first version of linux ive ever tried, ive always been a mac user so im completely new to this, il have to do some research on building kernels

Building l4t kernel is about as non standard a kernel build as you can get. There is a script on gitlab, that automates the process a bit. ;) You will still need to configure it though, as it by default sets the ubuntu options. Should be simple enough to add support for live patching.

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hello, can you tell me how do I install lutris and winehq on this nintendo switch linux?

Lutris is python dependent, so it should be as simple as installing the dependencies, and then installing it. I dont know if ubuntu has it in their repos though. Wine can be installed, but it is not an emulator, so you would need arm64 binaries. You could try wrapping it in qemu, but that would be slow, and make most games/apps unusable.

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
just got a bigger sd card, and need to set this up again..

so i don't need to adjust partition size on a computer, i can do it on the switch while in linux?

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, i'm having some trouble setting up reboot2payload

i followed the steps... copied .zip to root, rc.local is executable, edited to include text, copied payload to lib/firmware (after much hassle), and rebooted twice because "cannot find file /sys/bus/platform/drivers/tegra-reboot2payload/r2p/default_payload"

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Finally, I can boot up L4T Ubuntu once again on my current unit. This time around, the Wi-Fi and Bluetooth are detected and Wi-Fi works! However, I'm encountering screen problems when using HDMI output, at resolution 1920x1080, where the rightmost portion of my screen is fuzzy, but the leftmost side is okay. I've heard from someone else that this depends on the screen used. I was using a computer monitor with HDMI, but I don't know if I can solve this problem just by using a TV screen with HDMI inputs. I'm unable to stick with a certain monitor if it is stationary.
Alternatively, is there a way that I can use USB devices without having to use an external monitor?

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
also, i'm having some trouble setting up reboot2payload

i followed the steps... copied .zip to root, rc.local is executable, edited to include text, copied payload to lib/firmware (after much hassle), and rebooted twice because "cannot find file /sys/bus/platform/drivers/tegra-reboot2payload/r2p/default_payload"

Probably because you coppied .zip to root. You were supposed to extract the zip to fat32 partition. overwriting everything, if you had already updated to 1.3.1, it should over write, if not, erase what is there(Assuming you arent also running atmosphere on sdcard), and then extract zip.

enderer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now i'm getting a "permission denied" running "echo > 1 /sys/bus/platform/drivers/tegra-reboot2payload/r2p/default_payload" even with the sudo command. i tried su to login as root and my password doesn't work.

Last edited by enderer,

Gavin_Darkglider

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
first, you cant echo with sudo, it is a bash shell command, and isnt an application. you can use tee and echo with sudo. It is easier to just sudo su, then echo, or to set up the rc.local script.

Worldblender

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm encountering screen problems when using HDMI output, at resolution 1920x1080, where the rightmost portion of my screen is fuzzy, but the leftmost side is okay. I've heard from someone else that this depends on the screen used. I was using a computer monitor with HDMI, but I don't know if I can solve this problem just by using a TV screen with HDMI inputs. I'm unable to stick with a certain monitor if it is stationary. Note that I can still see the contents, but they can appear in black and white.
Alternatively, is there a way that I can use USB devices without having to use an external monitor?

uyjulian

Homebrewer
Trophies
Website
sites.google.com
XP
Country
United States
I'm encountering screen problems when using HDMI output, at resolution 1920x1080, where the rightmost portion of my screen is fuzzy, but the leftmost side is okay. I've heard from someone else that this depends on the screen used. I was using a computer monitor with HDMI, but I don't know if I can solve this problem just by using a TV screen with HDMI inputs. I'm unable to stick with a certain monitor if it is stationary. Note that I can still see the contents, but they can appear in black and white.
1. Try unplugging and repluging
2. Check the refresh rate
3. Try a different monitor

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy: *teleports behind you* "Nothing personnel, kiddo"