L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2019
    United States
    Just make sure to use the latest boot.scr, as it is needed for reboot2payload, or else it will try to autoboot android, which you wont have, and hekate doesnt support yet. I think the eta on that feature is tuesday, but dont quote me on that.

2. Lucas95

Lucas95 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I keep getting to the last stage of the initial set up and get greeted with this error, anyone help would be appreciated!

I've installed the latest update on SD card and Im still having the same problem.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

Keeping getting this error on initial set up

Attached Files:

3. Gavin_Darkglider

Gavin_Darkglider GBAtemp Regular

May 20, 2019
    United States
    That post doesnt explain the new reboot2payload kernel command line options that arent included in the original boot.scr Without them, the reboot2payload implementation will by default try to reboot to android, once the version of hekate comes out that supports booting by options by ID. ;) I should also mention that every file in the 1.5.0 update changed except for the initramfs. So, you might want to look at them for reference. Currently the kernel command line is set to reboot to hekate, you can change it from bootloader to via-payload, and it will autoreboot to ubuntu(once the new hekate is released)

Last edited by Gavin_Darkglider, Aug 19, 2019
    Watermelonz and hippy dave like this.
  4. Geraldo_jr

Geraldo_jr Newbie

Newcomer
    Aug 19, 2019
    Brazil
    So.. nobody tried installing STEAM to play some linux/proton compatible games?

5. CalcProgrammer1

CalcProgrammer1 Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    United States
    Steam is x86/amd64 and Switch is arm64. Incompatible architectures. There are a few projects trying to create x86 emulators for arm systems but none which can run steam at a usable speed. The box86 emulator has some x86 Linux games running on arm (32-bit) Linux with graphics acceleration but it doesn't support arm64 yet and the Switch doesn't have 32-bit GPU drivers.

6. Lucas95

Lucas95 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    I have managed to install Ubuntu now however it's running like shit, unusable, sometimes still dosnt boot up, I've gone into disks and done the second partition still runs like crap (using a class 10 128gb micro SD card) I've applied update 1.3.1 after flashing the image in etcher, I extracted the SD image beforehabd, literally don't know what else to try at this point, I've tried re installing Ubuntu 5 times and still not working right, could it just be my SD card?

7. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Could be the SD card. What is it?

Also could be a lack of swap space/partition, but it shouldn't be horrible even before you make one.

8. Lucas95

Lucas95 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    im using a XC I class 10 128GB, it was one of the cheaper 128gb micro sds available so its almost certainly the problem, does l4t ubuntu for nintendo switch work well for you? if so what micro sd do you use?? thanks
    I'm using one of the cheaper class 10 128gb micro ads available, I don't think it's even branded, almost certain it's the problem, does Ubuntu work well for you on the switch and if so what micro SD are you using??? Thanks

Attached Files:

9. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    I'm using Sandisk 400GB Ultra microSDXC UHS-I, and it works pretty good. I am thinking to upgrade to a U3 card like the Samsung evo select, because it has better write speeds.

Last edited by tabzer, Aug 20, 2019
    Lucas95 likes this.
  10. CalcProgrammer1

CalcProgrammer1 Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    United States
    That card looks suspicious. There are a ton of fake cards out there. They take old, slow, low capacity reject cards and flash them to report a larger size than is really available. The cards work for the first 2-8GB or so and then start losing all data past that. If it doesn't have a reputable brand name and come from a legitimate retailer I wouldn't trust it.

I got a 256GB Samsung Evo Select on Prime Day. Works great.

Lucas95 likes this.
  11. Lucas95

Lucas95 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    Thanks just ordered a Samsung Evo 128gb since everyone on here has been recommending them, hopefully il have Linux up and running properly now!

12. CalcProgrammer1

CalcProgrammer1 Member

Newcomer
    May 4, 2019
    United States
    Samsung Evo cards are my go-to after having a SanDisk Ultra 64GB repeatedly fail on me (sent it off for RMA, replacement failed a few months later). I have a 128GB Samsung Evo Select in my phone that's been fine for several years and at least 4 Select/Plus cards (identical other than name, Select is Amazon-exclusive) in various ARM boards such as Raspberry Pi that work great. Great performance for running an OS as far as microSD cards go.

13. Lucas95

Lucas95 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2019
    United Kingdom

Nice! I cancelled my order on the regular Evo and got a Evo select instead! it was pretty much the same price, guessing a select has better running speeds than the regular Evo ?

14. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    Evo "select" is just Amazon's branding of Evo Plus. It should be the same card, just green.

15. Lucas95

Lucas95 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    The one I originally ordered wasn't an Evo plus it was just a normal Evo, orange colour

16. Lucas95

Lucas95 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2019
    United Kingdom

did you format your samsung evo select to fat 32 before you installed linux or does it work with exfat aswell? mine just arrived and its in exfat, windows isnt displaying an option to convert to fat 32

17. stick267

stick267 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 17, 2018
    United States
    You don't have to format it first. Writing the Linux image file to the card takes care of everything.

18. ZeroFX

ZeroFX Eh. What?

Jun 18, 2018
    Japan
    Some place in
    Glad we have you maintaining Linux in the meantime.

19. Lucas95

Lucas95 Member

Newcomer
    Aug 18, 2019
    United Kingdom
    no worries i have it working now, only problem im having now is trying to get it connected to the dock so i dont have to use the touchscreen anymore, it sits in the dock and the screen stays on, dosnt show up on the TV at the momment, not sure why, im just installing updates so maybe it will work after that

20. globalc

globalc Member

Newcomer
    Jun 14, 2019
    Japan
    You could run 'xrandr' when docked and should see if at least the second screen appears. The
    /usr/bin/dock-hotplug script should actually then switch over to the external monitor, you could look at the commands in the file directly.