Konami charges $10 for Metal Gear Survive save slot

mgss.png

Metal Gear Survive is the first Metal Gear game since the series creator's exit from the company. Of course, it was target of criticism from fans ever since it was announced, having basically only the FOX Engine in common with Metal Gear and slandered for misuse of the Metal Gear name as a quick cash grab. But is the game really that bad? Apparently, in its core, it's not that bad of a game.

One would imagine that Konami wants to garner goodwill for the game, but in actuality, Konami arguably threw even more fuel to the fire, as early players have found out. The vanilla game supports only one character save slot. For any additional save slot, you would have to fork over 1000 SV coins, which translate to roughly $10 in real world money. What this basically means is that you have to delete your whole progress to start a new game if you don't pay up.

For a number of players this may not be much of an issue as one character may be enough for them, but you could argue that this has the potential to set a dangerous precedent for future games.

What do you think of this? Happy with Metal Gear Survive?

:arrow: Source

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think the big problem here is that they're using in game currency that converts into real world currency, so a lot of people will midlessly buy this shit and have no idea what that they're spending their own money.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Wut? I'm sure I have more than one save slot in ESO
I suppose, but 6 different saves for free is a bit different than 1. Do the differences in gameplay and style warrant no additional saves? Or rather, are there no choices made near the beginning that cannot be altered later through course of play, as there are in elder scrolls (sort of)?
Elder Scrolls is also an MMORPG, you need a few slots, you most certainly don't need multiple slots here. The point stands - once you max out, you buy additional slots from the Crown store.
Elder Scrolls Online is an online game where character data is stored on servers, so more characters means more server stress. This is an offline game. Why on earth would they need to charge for save slot for a single player game? Is multiplayer always on?

This is just pathetic. Charging for measly data such as save slots is such obvious grasping.
Metal Gear Survive is primarily online, playing the game offline makes no sense judging by the Beta. The whole point of the game is to build bases and play hoard mode with other players, I assume the single player campaign serves as a glorified tutorial.
On that note, wouldn't it be pretty easy for someone to crack this save system? Assuming save files are stored locally. Could either switch characters while keeping a single slot, or open up more slots for free.
I very much doubt they're entirely local, they probably sync with the cloud since the game has a huge online component to it.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
This isn't really uncommon for MMO type games. Apparently the game is pretty heavy on multiplayer and can't even be played completely offline. Still, MMOs offer much, much more content than this game likely does, and even then they usually have a few character slots per server, not just a single one. Konami pls.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Elder Scrolls is also an MMORPG, you need a few slots, you most certainly don't need multiple slots here. The point stands - once you max out, you buy additional slots from the Crown store.

sooooo, that's a yes to no meaningful permanent choices near the beginning?

Last edited by osaka35,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
sooooo, that's a yes to no permanent choices near the beginning?
I was under the impression that there were no permanent choices to be made, but I'll have to look into the press pack, my experience with Survive is limited to the beta as I didn't want to spoil anything for myself, even though it's not a real MGS game.

More than one slot would most certainly be pleasant, but the lack of extra slots is shrug-worthy for me, playing multiple instances seems silly for a game like this. It's obviously a scheme to milk customers, but it's not something that bothers me since I obviously won't buy extra slots.

Reactions: Xabring and osaka35

tatumanu

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Its hilarious ( and depressing ) how scummy this game is. Why 10 bucks? do they offer an cloud save file with this? Some people think this game is not that bad, thats okay by me. As for me i never seen something that looks so recycled, generic and lifeless in my life. The only good thing about it is the fact its using the FOX engine.

Anyone seen the final boss on youtube? Its so freaking badly designed, a really F*ck you to Metal Gear

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
now in this particular game, im not really surprised considering for games like this you only ever really need one slot anyway, but this is gonna suck if other companies see that they can, just because.

but what hurts anyway is $10 for 1 save. feelsbadman

SomeKindOfUsername

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How does family share/play work with this game? I know certain games, like PUBG, only have one character stored on the server even if you play on another account. This may be an attempt to compliment (or circumvent) game sharing.

Last edited by SomeKindOfUsername,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: Depends on my mood