Gaming It is safe to play now Breath of The Wild

darkphoenix16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Regardless of whether or not the game has online features, there is a Daily Log on the Wii U that will show that you played BotW early. The log will also looklike \web, Mii Maker, Zelda. I wouldn't doubt that Nintendo collects this info to see what types of games are popukar.

So I think it is reasonable to suspect that Nintendo will know you are playing a pirated copy if they look. It is up to you to decide if you think Nintendo will crack down on piracy of their most anticipated title, most expensive title, and potential highest system seller in history....

IMO they have done more for less, but I understand the desire to try before you buy. It has a rough dev history - all gamepad features removed - evidence of fps problems - all clear idicators that the games exists for the switch and is exists on the wii u as the alternate patforn - not the primary

beard00

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
It's only two days before the game is released.. There are probably hundreds of people who have already got their legit copy early. Nintendo would have to ban them too.

DuckPic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So no ban risk at all? I'm using all current DNS from Ovh site.
There's always a risk that:
1: The game itself communicates to Nintendo's servers that are outside of the DNS scope.
2: The Wii U phones home from time to time and will log play data.

Both of those things and maybe more can lead to a ban later down the lines.
Is it likely? No. But it is a possibility. Use at your own risk.

Reactions: Michierusama

darkphoenix16

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's only two days before the game is released.. There are probably hundreds of people who have already got their legit copy early. Nintendo would have to ban them too.

Perhaps, but as I mentioned it probably isn't that difficult to determine if its pirated due to unusually frequent trips to the web browser and mii maker prior to starting up Zelda. Also, out of region players are also a big red flag

As you said - its two days to release. Just wait two more days and buy it. If you really don't want to spend money on it then still just wait two more days

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Why shouldn't it be save? As long as you don't use internet features (which i didn't see any in the game at the current state i am) they can't know it. If they know it, they send informations of you playing it without your approval, which suprise suprise isn't legal if you didn't accept any eula.
Your currently playing title is shared with people on your friends list which means it gets uploaded to the servers, whether Nintendo stores that information in a database is hard to say though.
I believe you do have to agree to displaying your currently playing title to friends when you first set up the NNID on your Wii U, so there's nothing illegal about that.

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Guys, if the will ban the early players, they'll also ban reviewers and people who just got the game early. They can't tell if a game is a physical disc or downloaded content, so they can't really tell who needs to get a ban.

DuckPic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Guys, if the will ban the early players, they'll also ban reviewers and people who just got the game early. They can't tell if a game is a physical disc or downloaded content, so they can't really tell who needs to get a ban.
Yeah tell that to the reviewers and early players of Pokémon Sun and Moon who got banned.

DuckPic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
After connecting online with the game early
Nothing prevents them from collecting log data and banning everyone who played early.
It's not like the measures they took with Pokémon Sun and Moon are the max they will ever do.
Unless you're going to keep your Wii U 100% offline all the time from now on, there still is a risk.

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Nothing prevents them from collecting log data and banning everyone who played early.
It's not like the measures they took with Pokémon Sun and Moon are the max they will ever do.
Unless you're going to keep your Wii U 100% offline all the time from now on, there still is a risk.
Everything in life has sort of a risk. But the chances are close to 0.
And in Sun and Moon they could actually see who is breaking their rules and playing online early. In this case, there is nothing they can do. Even if they know I have the game early, they can't tell if it is a disc or a download. There are some cases which the costumer gets the game early by accident or the shop sold the game early. In those cases the shops are responsible, not the costumer.

DuckPic

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Everything in life has sort of a risk. But the chances are close to 0.
And in Sun and Moon they could actually see who is breaking their rules and playing online early. In this case, there is nothing they can do. Even if they know I have the game early, they can't tell if it is a disc or a download. There are some cases which the costumer gets the game early by accident or the shop sold the game early. In those cases the shops are responsible, not the costumer.
They couldn't know if people were playing Sun and Moon from early physical copies or downloads too, yet they banned them.
They can know that you played early by looking at the log data when you go back online eventually and they may or may not care about wether it was disc or dl since they didn't for Sun and Moon.
Considering all of that, the risk is much higher than 0 that it's actually worth thinking about in my opinion.

Last edited by DuckPic,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Are you sure they can't tell the difference between a disc version and an eShop version? Everyone who's playing the game right now with CFW is using the eShop version, which would be impossible for legitimate users to do. There's no way for us to tell if they can tell the difference or not (they certainly can with the 3DS because eShop games don't have their own headers like cartridge games do)
Loadiine users are probably safe because it just shows up as Mii Maker. But who wants to deal with 15 minute load times?

Last edited by The Real Jdbye,

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
They couldn't know if people were playing Sun and Moon from early physical copies or downloads too, yet they banned them.
They can know that you played early by looking at the log data when you go back online eventually and they may or may not care about wether it was disc or dl since they didn't for Sun and Moon.
Considering all of that, the risk much higher than 0 that it's actually worth thinking about in my opinion.
You're not even reading what I'm saying..
P.S of course they knew if you played S&M early. People freaking got online with the games early.
I played the game week before its release and didn't get any ban caused by that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Are you sure they can't tell the difference between a disc version and an eShop version? Everyone who's playing the game right now with CFW is using the eShop version, which would be impossible for legitimate users to do. There's no way for us to tell if they can tell the difference or not (they certainly can with the 3DS because eShop games don't have their own headers like cartridge games do)
Loadiine users are probably safe because it just shows up as Mii Maker. But who wants to deal with 15 minute load times?
The tik file is from a disc. That's it :mellow: This makes the job impossible for Nintendo

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
You're not even reading what I'm saying..
P.S of course they knew if you played S&M early. People freaking got online with the games early.
I played the game week before its release and didn't get any ban caused by that.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

The tik file is from a disc. That's it :mellow: This makes the job impossible for Nintendo
Even so, you don't know if it's sending info to Nintendo about whether it's a disc or eShop copy.
Plus, the update everyone is using has an invalid .tik, which they could surely check for because the legit .tik should be universal and the same across all consoles.

Though to be honest, I doubt anyone's gonna get banned for playing BotW early. But I thought the same thing about Sun/Moon (because it had never happened before) and look what happened...

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Your currently playing title is shared with people on your friends list which means it gets uploaded to the servers, whether Nintendo stores that information in a database is hard to say though.
I believe you do have to agree to displaying your currently playing title to friends when you first set up the NNID on your Wii U, so there's nothing illegal about that.
Yes and no. Since it's not illegal to use cfw you could have a Homebrew application with that name, they don't send a id to the servers, they send Name and Icon. They don't have a way to tell 100% you play the game early if you dont connect to online services of that specifig game x.

Reactions: LaPingas

LaPingas

let's go mangoooooo
Trophies
XP
Country
Israel
Even so, you don't know if it's sending info to Nintendo about whether it's a disc or eShop copy.
Plus, the update everyone is using has an invalid .tik, which they could surely check for because the legit .tik should be universal and the same across all consoles.
You got a point with the update issue, but reviewers could play the game so idk..
Only if your activity is really suspectful you'll get a ban, from the past experience.
Of course there is a bit of a risk but Nintendo doesn't care about the Wii U anymore

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Yes and no. Since it's not illegal to use cfw you could have a Homebrew application with that name, they don't send a id to the servers, they send Name and Icon. They don't have a way to tell 100% you play the game early if you dont connect to online services of that specifig game x.
Theoretically you could, but that doesn't mean they won't ban for it. Remember what happened with the 3DS when someone faked a StreetPass message to say he was playing Twilight Princess 3D, and people followed the fake eShop link?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twilight-princess-3d-ban-wave.387140/

It certainly isn't illegal to use a CFW, but it's against Nintendo's Terms of Service, so they are well within their right to ban users from online services for it.

You got a point with the update issue, but reviewers could play the game so idk..
Only if your activity is really suspectful you'll get a ban, from the past experience.
Of course there is a bit of a risk but Nintendo doesn't care about the Wii U anymore
Reviewers probably had the universal "legit" update, the person who dumped the update just didn't know how to dump it properly.

DarkIrata

Trophies
Website
ipmix.de
XP
Country
Germany
Theoretically you could, but that doesn't mean they won't ban for it. Remember what happened with the 3DS when someone faked a StreetPass message to say he was playing Twilight Princess 3D, and people followed the fake eShop link?
https://gbatemp.net/threads/twilight-princess-3d-ban-wave.387140/

It certainly isn't illegal to use a CFW, but it's against Nintendo's Terms of Service, so they are well within their right to ban users from online services for it.

Reviewers probably had the universal "legit" update, the person who dumped the update just didn't know how to dump it properly.
Yea.. spreading a link like that isn't the smartest way.

Show the exact spot they say you aren't allowed to use modfied software with the eshop

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    the internet
  • Julie_Pilgrim @ Julie_Pilgrim:
    @Psionic Roshambo i have 16 gb in my pc and i run into issues with ram more than i'd like to admit
  • HiradeGirl @ HiradeGirl:
    I got only 8GB of RAM. But I want 32GB.
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Time to just download more ram
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Yeah search Google
  • Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight:
    Or, I also heard that if you use flash memory, it can act as more "RAM" at least windows tell me when I stick a flash drive into it.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It can act as a swap drive but that isn't more RAM, it's slooow.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I wish we could have 1Gbps external storage by now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Like for micro
  • Veho @ Veho:
    New Myoo.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Veho, Yooo noice
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Looks like a Famicom handheld
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah, they were going for that.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not very good though.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I'm watching the review, the emulators it uses suck bawls.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Software update might improve it.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Or maybe someone will make like Emulation Station for it or something?
  • Veho @ Veho:
    That counts as a software update :tpi:
    +1
  • OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20:
    Ello
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I can think of the design teams process another joystick and no audio or a joystick and mono audio
  • Veho @ Veho:
    "You think we can just put the speakers at the top
    ?" "NO!"
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Pft stereo speakers you're fired
    +1
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pft stereo speakers you're fired +1