Hacking Is there a reason for burning at low speeds?

Serus

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm just curious, since I've burned 6 images so far at 8x on my imation DVD-R's and they've all worked fine (so far) on my Wiikey'd Wii. Will problems arise as I get further into the games or should I have errors right away?

Kaphis

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I am starting to thinkthat the wii's laser a lot better then the other console's (Ps2's laser anyone?) thats why we haven't been seeing any DREs even though its crappy media.

Smack

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
If I am burning media for a DVD player or just about anything I am not putting exclusively in a computer drive I always burn at the lowest possible speed to reduce read errors. It may be overkill but I find I have far less read errors since employing this practice than in the past. I also use lower grade media which is why I am a bit more careful.

kristijan08

Trophies
XP
Country
meh the reasons for burning at low speed are outdated now, media is better then way back when and so are burners. i do all my burns 12x on TY media w/ a pioneer 110D and its fine.... plus i hear TY media hates anythin under 6x , anyway

xeorix

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am starting to thinkthat the wii's laser a lot better then the other console's (Ps2's laser anyone?) thats why we haven't been seeing any DREs even though its crappy media.

I have some noname dvds here at home that I use to burn games. On ps2 theese works without any problem what so ever. On wii I get DRE's all the time.

brocher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was using Verbatims and burning at full speed and got loads of DRE's on my Wiinja v1. After reading the forums I thought it was because of the chip, and being the impetuous chap I am, forthwith ordered a v2.

Using same media, burned at 4x every Wii and GC backup works 100% with no DRE.

Anyone want to buy a v2 Wiinja? lol

Maybe I'll put on eBay, but more probably will sit in a drawer for an "emergency" to get thrown out in 3 years time.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Burning at a low speed burns the image in deeper. A deeper burn means the laser doesn't have to work as hard to read the disc. The difference in life span isn't really that big though.

I always burn my discs at the lowest speed possible because I'm in no rush and I'd rather my burner does it right the first time around.

F-Ray

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.f-ray.se
XP
Country
It doesn't matter if you burn with high or low speed. The output will always be the same. This, I guess you could say urban legend, started in the late 90's when the CD-R drives had very low buffermemory. You would then have to burn at lower speed to minimize the risk of the buffer failing.

Nowadays it's always best to burn the disc at the speed the disc is designed for.

jumpman17's statement is just silly
smile.gif

Kalonjii

Trophies
XP
Country
It doesn't matter if you burn with high or low speed. The output will always be the same. This, I guess you could say urban legend, started in the late 90's when the CD-R drives had very low buffermemory. You would then have to burn at lower speed to minimize the risk of the buffer failing.

Nowadays it's always best to burn the disc at the speed the disc is designed for.

smile.gif

This is not true, I burn alot of DVD's (movies) and when using the highest speed, the movie can skip sometimes and the picture can get messy, audio problems here and there...

Now I haven't burned in high speed (12x+) in 1 or 2 years since this happened, so I'm not sure this problem still is there with new media/burners, but it sure as hell wasn't no "urban legend started in the last 90's".

brocher

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country

smile.gif

I wouldn't lie - I burned around 20 "backups" at full speed, GC and Wii, because the first one worked I assumed all would. Only 3 out of 20 worked. That was burned at 16x speed, Verbatin, Pioneer 111D standard firmware.

Using the exact same disks, burner and images, all work 100% with no DRE when I burn them at 4x. Have since burned many more "backups" both GC and Wii, from both regions and all work flawlessly. All the original 20 disks are now landfill.

I can't say that the same will be for everyone, but I can tell you that this is what happened with me. I even went to the expense of buying a v2 Wiinja as, like you, I scoffed at the idea that burn speed makes a difference.

jumpman17

He's a semi-aquatic egg laying mammal of action!
Former Staff
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Speaking as a person who goes through over 350 DVDs a year, the faster I burn the DVD, the more "rings" and skips I get on my disc, and the results are the same on both of my DVD writers.

Perplexer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're getting "rings," then your PC is not supplying data fast enough to the burner, and buffer underrun protection is kicking in. In your case, burning at a slower speed is beneficial.

But for others, if your DVD writer buffer remains full, then there will be no difference between slow speeds and max burning speed.

hazamatic

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It DOES make a difference what speed you burn it. I haven't tried any Wii games but on my old old PS2 the difference between 4x and 8x if quite noticeable.

The games actually boots much more often and with less DRE's during gameplay when I burn at 4x.

However the quality of the media is _much_ more important than burn speed....buy something good like Verbatim or TY and burn it at whatever speed works good for you. I use Verbatim, only because they actually come with spindles, and TY doesn't.

You'll probably find as your Wii gets older it will start getting more and more picky with the media and burn speed.

jtroye32

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it's always best to burn dvds at their rated speed. burning at slower than the rated speed of the media is actually worse than burning at the rated speed (unless of course your computer sucks and can't keep up/has issues). i burn at 16x on my verbatim's all the time, have a massive movie collection and not one i've watched skips/hiccups at all. try to make sure you're not running anything too heavy in the background that uses a lot of cpu/memory when burning stuff.

xiaNaix

Trophies
Website
xiaNaix.net
XP
Country
United States
You can argue all day long about the best method for burning discs but the bottom line is that it depends entirely on your media, burner, and ability of your PC. Unless you use something like DVDInfoPro to check the quality of your burns to see which combination works best for YOU, you're just rolling the dice.

skagamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I actually have better luck when burning at faster speeds. Using Verbatim DVD-R media the slowest speed I could burn at was 2X. With all burns done at that speed I would get DREs. Anything burned at 4X or higher runs flawlessly. For reference sake I am using a Wiinja v2.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: hi