Is my eMMC going to die?

ShadowU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Hey all,

I barely used my Wii U at all since the Switch came out, it was basically unplugged for 6-7 years. But I got into homebrew recently, and I found out about the whole eMMC/MLC failing situation on Hynix chips. I checked with WiiUIdent and surely enough, my Wii U has Hynix chip, made in 2012/08.

I haven't had any games or apps give an error code or failing to load so far, but just to be sure, I made a new backup of my NAND to check for corruption. After extracting the contents of my MLC with the wfs-extract tool, this was the only error I got:

Error: Failed to read /"usr\\boss\\00050010\\10040200\\user\\80000002\\upconfg\\.upconfg"

The title DB says 00050010-10040200 is the Wii U System Menu, so I got a little worried, but I was also surprised that this was the only error. Other people I've seen having issues with their Hynix eMMC had hundred and thousands of errors, indicating that their MLC has deteriorated far more than mine did despite mine being unpowered for far longer than theirs. Did I get lucky and happened to get a good 2012 Hynix chip that doesn't leak somehow? I've read that these types of small errors can be the fault of the NAND Dumper rather than the NAND itself or can be normal for one reason for another.

Should I be worried about this anyway, is it also a sign of my MLC deteriorating? Thank you for your assistance!

V10lator

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I've read that these types of small errors can be the fault of the NAND Dumper
Might be that the dumping method you used bypassed the SLC cache but the file showing an error with wfs-extract was in SLC cache. You could connect to the console with FTP and try do download that file: If it works it's all good.

Reactions: ShadowU and SDIO

ShadowU

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Might be that the dumping method you used bypassed the SLC cache but the file showing an error with wfs-extract was in SLC cache. You could connect to the console with FTP and try do download that file: If it works it's all good.

Hey man thanks for the response, also thanks for all your work in the community, used a few of your tools!

I used the NAND dumper payload from the Tiramisu installation guide, launched by holding B on boot. I'll try FTP when I get home, are the contents of the NAND exposed and I can just copy paste them to a PC, or do I need something to decrypt the NAND / extract its contents? And do you recommend any other NAND dumpers that are better than the install guide's payload?

Also slipped my mind, had a power loss last night (freaking power company) while dumping NAND, Windows detected an issue with the SD card afterwards so I reformatted it and re-dumped the NAND contents all over again (freaking takes ages to dump the MLC lol). Could that power loss be the reason why I got that error or have affected anything? System worked fine afterwards and I figured the dumper only reads from NAND so it should be OK but maybe the cache caught a stray?
Post automatically merged:

OK, checked with FTP and I downloaded the file just fine. You reckon the chip is magically fine then? Or am I just crazy lucky and it hasn't begun deteriorating yet?

Last edited by ShadowU,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: So salty