Gaming Is the Wii U worth buying?

hhs

You will not like the outcome of this encounter
Trophies
XP
Country
It may not be a consensus but my opinion follows the majority of what people are saying here. The WiiU may eventually be a worthwhile purchase for Nintendo specific games like Zelda and Smash but currently there is no value in getting the system. You might as well wait until those games are out and see if you can get a bundle deal or something. Maybe there will be a future sale or something for Christmas. Basically, hold off if you can.

stomp_442

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If somebody wants a Wii U then go and buy one, no reason to hold off if you are eventually going to buy one anyways. So what if they drop a few dollars from the price tag in a year or so, Nintendo aint going to give away Wii U for free. Now is the time to support Nintendo. Quit holding out for a few dollars you cheap bastards.

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NSMB was enough reason for me to get a Wii-U at launch, the rest of my buying decision was based on semi blind faith that Nintendo would probably make 1 or 2 other decent games for it :)

Right now I am enjoying that 30 cent download of Super Metroid, for the price it's a total bargain, being able to have a save state is like gravy.

ggyo

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol if you think any of this is remotely accurate then you really haven't played Uncharted, Sly, Jak, or Ratchet.

Oh my god you didn't just use "artistic TV shows" and "How I Met Your Mother" in the same sentence did you?
Also Lucas got flak for editing things so that they were just shit. Like the "Han shot first" thing. It was a subtle but great way of characterizing Solo. It showed he wasn't a great guy, that he was a cold blooded killer, a shoot first ask questions later type of guy. Plus the edit was terrible. Most of Lucas's edits were just terrible in fact, they look odd, sound odd, and don't vibe with the rest of the movie.
I do think it's pretty accurate.

Is Uncharted not acutely similar to Tomb Raider?
Does Uncharted not have dozens of quicktime events?
What's the difference between the three platforming IPs, besides it's stories and characters? (Each gameplay element of one has a parallel in the other two).

So then what TV shows are artistic? Also, no, the edit clarified the incident. You say that GL ruined scenes with bad editing, but you only brought up one scene which is notoriously confusing.

What exactly is wrong with this scene?
The CGI is improved universally, in every editted scene. I understand you're just trying to make a greater point to your argument, but...

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having played all three Uncharted games and some Tomb Raider I can say that they are actually quite different. Combat is entirely different, level design is different, the only similarity is maybe the climbing mechanics and some of the setting (even then Uncharted is closer to Indiana Jones than Tomb Raider). The series kinda pays homage to Indiana Jones actually.

Uncharted doesn't have that many QTEs. Like hell the only big QTE I remember was the final showdown in Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It has scripted setpiece moments but you're in full control of your character so it's not a QTE.

Sly Cooper is a stealth game first and foremost, it's not an action-platformer like the other two. Admittedly Jak and Ratchet are a bit similar but still play differently.

I'm not saying TV shows are artistic, I'm saying How I Met Your Mother isn't. Like I was actually thinking of Breaking Bad, which doesn't cave into its fanbase honestly.

What's wrong with that scene? The CGI is horrible. His head movement is unnatural. And the scene itself illustrated Han Solo's brash nature and how he could just kill a guy. It ruined part of his characterization.

Also the CGI is just very jarring with the lesser quality footage back then. There's the scene when Luke and Obiwan are going to the town on Tatooine and in the original cut it's just them driving into the town. Then George Lucas just added rondo and Jawa and shit. For no reason. It looks so out of place. Or replacing Jabba, which was originally an actor, with a CG one and having Han step on his tail (which was not even close to anything that happened in the original cut). Or making Luke, after getting his hand chopped off in Cloud City and falling down, just scream "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" and he sounds like a fucking moron. I'm pretty sure the cantina musical scene in Return of the Jedi was also added after the original cut.

The cuts are not only bad looking, but they end up meddling with characterization or just sound stupid. The reason Star Wars aged so well was because it wasn't so focused on CG. It was a ton of great sets, great models, and good special effects when needed. For over 30 years old the movie has aged stupidly well. CG doesn't age nearly as well, it looked dated when it was released and it looks worse now.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Having played all three Uncharted games and some Tomb Raider I can say that they are actually quite different. Combat is entirely different, level design is different, the only similarity is maybe the climbing mechanics and some of the setting (even then Uncharted is closer to Indiana Jones than Tomb Raider). The series kinda pays homage to Indiana Jones actually.

Uncharted doesn't have that many QTEs. Like hell the only big QTE I remember was the final showdown in Uncharted: Golden Abyss. It has scripted setpiece moments but you're in full control of your character so it's not a QTE.

Sly Cooper is a stealth game first and foremost, it's not an action-platformer like the other two. Admittedly Jak and Ratchet are a bit similar but still play differently.

I'm not saying TV shows are artistic, I'm saying How I Met Your Mother isn't. Like I was actually thinking of Breaking Bad, which doesn't cave into its fanbase honestly.

What's wrong with that scene? The CGI is horrible. His head movement is unnatural. And the scene itself illustrated Han Solo's brash nature and how he could just kill a guy. It ruined part of his characterization.

Also the CGI is just very jarring with the lesser quality footage back then. There's the scene when Luke and Obiwan are going to the town on Tatooine and in the original cut it's just them driving into the town. Then George Lucas just added rondo and Jawa and shit. For no reason. It looks so out of place. Or replacing Jabba, which was originally an actor, with a CG one and having Han step on his tail (which was not even close to anything that happened in the original cut). Or making Luke, after getting his hand chopped off in Cloud City and falling down, just scream "NOOOOOOOOOOO!" and he sounds like a fucking moron. I'm pretty sure the cantina musical scene in Return of the Jedi was also added after the original cut.

The cuts are not only bad looking, but they end up meddling with characterization or just sound stupid. The reason Star Wars aged so well was because it wasn't so focused on CG. It was a ton of great sets, great models, and good special effects when needed. For over 30 years old the movie has aged stupidly well. CG doesn't age nearly as well, it looked dated when it was released and it looks worse now.

The meme "Ruined Childhood" would fit the Star Wars "remakes" pretty well.

Deleted member 329676

All sweet & honeycomb
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 on checking Craigslist.

I picked mine up just last week on craigslist, and I got the black deluxe edition for only $250, which I thought was a steal. And it took me less than a day to put all of the homebrew mods on and transfer all of the data that I had on my Wii over to the vWii on my Wii U.

air2004

Air
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
+1 on checking Craigslist.

I picked mine up just last week on craigslist, and I got the black deluxe edition for only $250, which I thought was a steal. And it took me less than a day to put all of the homebrew mods on and transfer all of the data that I had on my Wii over to the vWii on my Wii U.
That sounds more like stolen. Who would take a $100 loss ? and if thier state has a sales tax , its an even bigger loss.

Deleted member 329676

All sweet & honeycomb
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sounds more like stolen. Who would take a $100 loss ? and if thier state has a sales tax , its an even bigger loss.

I picked it up from a pawn shop, so that's very possible. They said they'd been trying to sell it for a month, but there just weren't any takers so they slowly lowered the price until I saw it listed, and then I talked them down a bit.

deshayzilla

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been playing mine everyday since college ended last week for me. I don't know what it is about the virtual console on the Wii U but I'm hooked to playing almost all the games they have been throwing at it. Super Metroid has been taking up most of my time lately. I know I can play these games on emulators easily, but something about playing them on the Wii U makes them more addicting. I completed (100%) Super Mario World for the first time in my life.

I only have 3 Wii U games (NSMB U, Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed, and NintendoLand) and I haven't played one of those games for months now.

I think Nintendo's strategy right now is to tide over current Wii U owners with cheap Virtual Console games until their AAA titles come out later this year. I know I'm going to be picking up Pikmin 3 the day it comes out..

Also do not feel the need to get the Wii U deluxe, you can get Nintendo Land for ~$20 on eBay. It is not even worth it even for the digital promotion (which you can only redeem in five dollar increments and is designed to give you as little as possible).

slingblade1170

Trophies
Website
xtremehack.net
XP
Country
United States
I bought the ZombieU Wii U set and don't listen to the countless number of bad comments on the system, its a great console. The gamepad feels nice and the pro controller is great, games like ZombieU, Lego City, NSMBU, Monster Hunter, Batman, Mass Effect & Need for Speed are great games to start out with. Nintendo has just gotten this online reputation that people love to hate it, just buy a Wii U and you will see its not bad at all!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @salazarcosplay, Good.