Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

ogpp.png

Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

Yesterday we had a whole slew of new games revealed on Nintendo's latest Direct, but the title that stood out as the presentation ended, was Super Smash Bros.

One thing Nintendo conveniently forgot to mention or hint at in any way; is the game a port of the WiiU Smash, following the trend of a lot of the current AAA Switch library? Or is it an entirely new Smash, just for Switch? Or maybe it's a mix of the 2, a DX version?

28685955_10156210133009438_7998471808106341361_n-jpg.117022

We've already had a ton of theories in the Super Smash Brothers announce thread - but here, we would like you to cast a vote!

photo_2018-03-08_23-22-06.jpg

D

Deleted User

its not it has to be more powerful then xbox one x and ps4 pro for it to be a new gen console.
The Xbox One X and PS4 Pro are the equivalent to the N3DS. Would you consider the N3DS a "new gen console"? A new gen console is one that has games/applications that cannot be run on the old gen console's hardware natively, and also cannot be built with the same tools. Switch games aren't built with Wii U dev tools, nor 3DS ones. Xbone X and PS4Pro both have games that are meant to be run on just slightly better hardware.

Once again, the best comparison is a 3DS -> N3DS. They are essentially the same.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'd expect it to be either a DX port or a new game, but the only way to tell the difference would be that the "New" game would have less content.

Realistically I think the most logical solution is that Nintendo is happy with the balance and physics, so will simply update and recompile the existing game then focus on additional content. Then still charge $60 for it because Nintendo.

This is literally a generation where they can get away with simply recompiling all of their main games. Every system before, NES -> SNES - > N64 ->NGC - >Wii -> Wii U has required games to be rewritten for the newer version because they were dramatically more powerful and/or had a major change in controllers and experience. The Switch is similar to power of the Wii U and the controllers are compatible. The OS handles all power management and Nintendo has all their existing source code on hand so they can just recompile it for the new architecture then tweak.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,

laudern

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Kind of weird that free is being used as a argument considering that goes for all games not just the ones on the Switch.

Also, the other consoles also have a lot of ports,remakes and remasters.

Doesn't that mean you do have a bias? lol

I mean no bias as to my excitement level towards the game as I have no interest in it.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Last edited by Xzi,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Dgabriel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
yeah sorry give me a sec

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

its the phase of announcing the game, i been working everyday in silence, please wait until the time comes, so more info is anounced

well, that's what i can take from the google translated text

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-03-10-02-06-55.png
    Screenshot_2018-03-10-02-06-55.png
    67.7 KB · Views: 190
Last edited by Dgabriel,
Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Eddypikachu

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah sorry give me a sec

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

its the phase of announcing the game, i been working everyday in silence, please wait until the time comes, so more info is anounced

well, that's what i can take from the google translated text
If you go back a few pages youll see that someone else already posted that here

Reactions: Dgabriel

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Smash is most likely a very time intensive game to develop.
Because of the smaller install base for Wii U, it just makes sense to port the same game over. There are a lot of people who didn't get the chance to play it yet, so why waste the effort to make something entirely new?
Smash 4 has already received its praise so it's less of a risk to port.
It won't be a complete new installment.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [goes back to 🛌 ] zzzzzzzzzzzzzz +1