Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

ogpp.png

Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

Yesterday we had a whole slew of new games revealed on Nintendo's latest Direct, but the title that stood out as the presentation ended, was Super Smash Bros.

One thing Nintendo conveniently forgot to mention or hint at in any way; is the game a port of the WiiU Smash, following the trend of a lot of the current AAA Switch library? Or is it an entirely new Smash, just for Switch? Or maybe it's a mix of the 2, a DX version?

28685955_10156210133009438_7998471808106341361_n-jpg.117022

We've already had a ton of theories in the Super Smash Brothers announce thread - but here, we would like you to cast a vote!

photo_2018-03-08_23-22-06.jpg

YamiZee

Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
So... like... a lot of sequels
Yes but generally the smash sequels have done quite a bit. My guess is that this game isn't going to be as drastic as an upgrade as previous versions since the developers were very happy with smash 4 I'm sure. I'm saying that I personally believe it's going to stick much closer to it's predecessor than previous smash titles. But still be enough of an upgrade to be considered smash 5.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Geezerdorf

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
What if they're reusing the assets and programs from Namco's previous game, but Sora LTD. is "enhancing" everything with new stuff?
Not saying that it's an "enhanced" remake of 4, but rather, they based the game from Namco's Sm4sh engine, and then modding it into a new whole thing. Kinda like what happened with Splatoon and Splatoon 2 (though the engine was the same and from the same team, but the theories apply).

That wouldn't be so farfetched to think, would it?

Anfroid

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What if they're reusing the assets and programs from Namco's previous game, but Sora LTD. is "enhancing" everything with new stuff?
Not saying that it's an "enhanced" remake of 4, but rather, they based the game from Namco's Sm4sh engine, and then modding it into a new whole thing. Kinda like what happened with Splatoon and Splatoon 2 (though the engine was the same and from the same team, but the theories apply).

That wouldn't be so farfetched to think, would it?
That's what I'm expecting. Pretty much the same underneath but enough to differentiate itself from Sm4sh and be able to make it quickly. I wonder if it'll keep all the previous characters since it shouldn't really cost them much to bring them all back.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I expect them to add back the storyline and some other stuff that SmashWiiU skipped out on. Same as how MK8 didn't have battle arenas and MK8D had amazing arenas and modes.

Futurdreamz

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
There's no reason for it not to be a new game really.
We've just discussed several, including precedent and statistics. Zelda's technically a port, MK8D's a port, CTTT's a port, along with several games that were just announced. A new game would have nothing to differentiate itself, while a port leaves the developers free time to add to the initial work.

Last edited by Futurdreamz,
Reactions: deinonychus71

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We've just discussed several, including precedent and statistics. Zelda's technically a port, MK8D's a port, CTTT's a port, along with several games that were just announced. A new game would have nothing to differentiate itself, while a port leaves the developers free time to add to the initial work.

I really hope thats what they do.

Otherwise people are later gonna be all bitchy when they realize Smash 5 vanilla has less characters and Nintendo is bringing paid DLCs to bring some Smash 4 characters back.

Nyteshade714

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This thread is pointless. Take a moment to think about it and you'll arrive at the only possible correct answer.

If they're going to go through all the trouble of porting Smash in the first place and adding new characters, the amount of work necessary to change/add just enough to qualify it as a completely new game is so minimal that they'd be stupid not to just go for it. Smash doesn't change that much between iterations to warrant a port rather than a whole new game.

Ampersound

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
This thread is pointless. Take a moment to think about it and you'll arrive at the only possible correct answer.

If they're going to go through all the trouble of porting Smash in the first place and adding new characters, the amount of work necessary to change/add just enough to qualify it as a completely new game is so minimal that they'd be stupid not to just go for it. Smash doesn't change that much between iterations to warrant a port rather than a whole new game.

The jump from Brawl to Sm4sh isn't a big one. But all other successors of previous titles were indeed larger changes.
I'd be very surprised to see an actual new entry in the series.
It's a big IP, any half-assed presentation would loose them money

|<roni&g

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It better not be another port, even with "additional content" it's not acceptable.
Switch has had nothing but ports other than oddysee. I'm so frustrated with nintendo thinking they can use the same games on 2 consoles in a row just because the original console they released on failed, start again and cut losses. I'm not buying Mario kart 8 twice.
And the upcoming paid online needs to be stopped. Nintendos online is and always has been free. There's no excuse to begin charging for it, only fools will happily pay for something that has always been free. Write to nintendo and make them know.

SANIC

GBATemp's Sonic Fan in Residence, 後
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sonic one sonic 2 again they used same textures, made diferent maps and added tails.
mario party 1 2 and 3, same models added some minigames and changed the maps.
pokemon stadium 1 and 2 just added the missing pokemons models and attacks.

there are countless examples of this.

call of duty games on ps2 for instance they are all very very similar same engine just diferent maps missions, there are countless examples of games using same engine and assets , making diferent levels and its a sequel.

also incase you didnt knew smb2 on japan wasnt released on usa becuase it was too hard aparently they putted enemies and jumps much closer together in a way the game was considered hard so nintendo of america got another platform game and called it smb2 lol and reskined with mario.

smb and smb2 are the same exact game just look them up and besides lvl diferences they just added wind to some levels.
The first three examples I feel don't count because if you replace what made the game completely then it's a whole new game. All the Mario parties have new models, new minigames, new boards, new story etc. All three Genesis Sonic Games ran on different engines. You can see this because Sonic 1 has smaller slower levels. Sonic 2 has bigger ones because the new engine allowed for it, and Sonic 3 levels are huge and have a focus on the psuedo 3D objects. All the levels have different gimmicks and the asthetic is different in all three games. All three games don't even share a single sprite. The first two Sonic sprites have similarities, but the third one is drastically different. Sonic 2 had 2 playable characters, but Sonic 3 had 3.
Pokemon Stadium is also not a good example because the only thing it inherited from the first one is first set of Pokemon and the battle system. Everything else was completely new. The single player was completely redone, the minigames etc.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
It better not be another port, even with "additional content" it's not acceptable.
Switch has had nothing but ports other than oddysee. I'm so frustrated with nintendo thinking they can use the same games on 2 consoles in a row just because the original console they released on failed, start again and cut losses. I'm not buying Mario kart 8 twice.
And the upcoming paid online needs to be stopped. Nintendos online is and always has been free. There's no excuse to begin charging for it, only fools will happily pay for something that has always been free. Write to nintendo and make them know.
sonys online was also free until ps4 and people pay for it now lol, the thing is alot of ps4 games have online features and i mean alot from 1st party to 3rd partys, on nintendo you get mario kart,splatoon and arms and the rest of the games are not online, so it costs to pay for online that has like 2 or 3 games with actual online features, not counting the rare 3rd party here and there.

Reactions: |<roni&g

aofelix

Trophies
XP
Country
smash 4 took 6 years how can this be a new smash if its only coming out 4 years after smash 4

That was during Nintendo's transition from SD to HD. Nintendo's developers struggled initially to make the transition.
However the transition from Wii U to Nintendo Switch is really very small in regards to additional assets being used, new textures etc. Quite simply, they are very similar compared to the Wii -> Wii U.

Also people moaning about whether they'll use similar textures etc., in all honesty they'd be silly not to as its going to be a huge waste of time re-designing for the sake of re-designing.

I hope this isn't a port as I feel Smash on the Wii U can be improved upon in many many ways.

MercilessDeth

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even though I own Sm4sh on both Wii U and 3DS, I wouldn't be upset if it's an enhanced port. I'm not sure what the general consensus is on Sm4sh but I enjoy the mechanics of it at the level I'm capable of playing at (which is nowhere near anything that could be considered 'competitive'). I know a lot of people are anxious for a return to the mechanics of Melee, but I've been playing Smash Bros. since day 1 of Smash 64 and I've gotta say that I prefer the series moving forward rather than regressing; we don't need to retread the same ground that Melee did in what...2002?

Not trying to hate on Melee in any way, I played a ton of it when it dropped and I certainly have nostalgia for it but it would be nice to see people embrace the newer games a bit more. Sure, at a highly competitive level there's a lot of stuff that eludes be about the nuance and differences between the games but from a "fun" standpoint I feel like the newer games are smoother feeling and I for one feel like I'm more in control of my character. I know those statements will likely attract some negative attention towards me but it's just my opinion.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill