Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

ogpp.png

Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

Yesterday we had a whole slew of new games revealed on Nintendo's latest Direct, but the title that stood out as the presentation ended, was Super Smash Bros.

One thing Nintendo conveniently forgot to mention or hint at in any way; is the game a port of the WiiU Smash, following the trend of a lot of the current AAA Switch library? Or is it an entirely new Smash, just for Switch? Or maybe it's a mix of the 2, a DX version?

28685955_10156210133009438_7998471808106341361_n-jpg.117022

We've already had a ton of theories in the Super Smash Brothers announce thread - but here, we would like you to cast a vote!

photo_2018-03-08_23-22-06.jpg

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
you don't understand that not every one thinks the extra content in the switch version is worth it and its cheaper to get them on the wii u.
It's not about the extra content. Again, most people are playing these games for the first time on Switch, because WiiU sold like shit. It doesn't matter that WiiU is cheaper. Virtual Boy is also cheaper. Nobody wants a dead and buried system with bad hardware design even if it costs $.10 and a piece of string.

Beside the obvious, WiiU is bulky and its OS is slow. Switch is sleek, small, and has a far snappier OS.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, by a fair amount, you can get a Wii U for as little as $150 these days, probably even less. Plus seriously, its an official Nintendo system with the vast majority of all Nintendo titles capable of being played on it, no PC will be able to say that. I legit just call my Wii U my Nintendo these days haha.

Let's see... $150 for a one off system that has rather mediocre emulation and is highly limited.. Tied to a rather redundant tablet... OR... ~$500 for an emulation machine that does well enough for PC gaming.. Hmmm...

I mean, if you're going to pirate, you might as well do it on a better machine. Right? Spend your money how you like, but don't try to justify a terrible machine with modifications.

Vorde

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
At this point I don't see Nintendo pouring the money and time into a new Smash game, I would think it's likely Smash4 DX with new characters, stages, and outfits. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it will be something new.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
its about saving money since nintendo w
It's not about the extra content. Again, most people are playing these games for the first time on Switch, because WiiU sold like shit. It doesn't matter that WiiU is cheaper. Virtual Boy is also cheaper. Nobody wants a dead and buried system with bad hardware design even if it costs $.10 and a piece of string.

Beside the obvious, WiiU is bulky and its OS is slow. Switch is sleek, small, and has a far snappier OS.
Thats no true i like old systems even if i never played them for me its about the games not how good it looks.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Let's see... $150 for a one off system that has rather mediocre emulation and is highly limited.. Tied to a rather redundant tablet... OR... ~$500 for an emulation machine that does well enough for PC gaming.. Hmmm...

Highly limited? Its got the highest level of emulation and compatibility for any hacked Nintendo system to date. The tablet made the system all the more unique and fun and only makes homebrew and the possibilities within it all the more interesting. Bums me out that you can't see the value there. Definitely worth saving at least $350, and to still call it an official Nintendo system, that's pretty dang cool. Like I said, my Wii U is now just known as my Nintendo, and then I have a Switch and New 3DS.

Last edited by MikaDubbz,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Highly limited? Its got the highest level of emulation and compatibility for any hacked Nintendo system to date. The tablet made the system all the more unique and fun and only makes homebrew and the possibilities within it all the more interesting. Bums me out that you can't see the value there.

Read "for a Nintendo console"... If you're going to ride this console and not see reason, I've got nothing more to say to you. Have fun.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Read "for a Nintendo console"... If you're going to ride this console and not see reason, I've got nothing more to say to you. Have fun.

lol, not sure how saving $350 for what I'm talking about isn't a good value, but to each their own. The Wii U has value, and that's all that matters, not for you, that's cool, but considering it a Nintendo all-in-one system up to that point in Nintendo's history does make it a pretty damn cool system, I should know lol. I'll never get rid of that thing and will always just consider it my "Nintendo" and no longer a Wii U haha.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Thats no true i like old systems even if i never played them for me its about the games not how good it looks.
Yeah WiiU is ugly, but I meant it also had bad hardware design in general. The tablet was a half-assed Switch, and the console was a full generation back from PS4/XB1. Pretty sad for a system not even in a portable form factor.

IMO even if it had good marketing, WiiU wouldn't have broke 20mil in sales and would've been a failure regardless. It just doesn't have the same mass appeal of Wii or Switch, the dual-screen gimmick was always doomed to remain extremely niche.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Yeah WiiU is ugly, but I meant it also had bad hardware design in general. The tablet was a half-assed Switch, and the console was a full generation back from PS4/XB1. Pretty sad for a system not even in a portable form factor.

IMO even if it had good marketing, WiiU wouldn't have broke 20mil in sales and would've been a failure regardless. It just doesn't have the same mass appeal of Wii or Switch, the dual-screen gimmick was always doomed to remain extremely niche.

I get why people enjoyed the system. I get the appeal it may have. However, if the ONLY valid argument is emulation/modding, it just becomes moot. If you don't have either console, and want the most bang for your buck, I may recommend Wii U if you're wanting to mod it. Outside of that? I see no point.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

the switches specs aren't much better then the wii u though the switch is a replacement for the wii u because of how bad it sold not a new gen console

It's a new gen console. Don't hurt yourself.

Reactions: Xzi

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just a rundown, this is a list of all the games a hacked Wii U can play:

all NES games
all SNES games
all Master System games
all Game Gear games
all Genesis games
all Turbografx games
all Virtual Boy games
all GB/GBC games
all GBA games
all Gamecube games
all Wii games
all Wii U games

most N64 games
most DS games
most PSone games

All those games can also be played entirely on the Wii U gamepad while you use the TV for other things with exception to many Wii games and many Wii U games.

For around $150, I think that's definitely a good deal, and no PC near that price is gonna be able to play the Wii U games to say the least.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I get why people enjoyed the system. I get the appeal it may have. However, if the ONLY valid argument is emulation/modding, it just becomes moot. If you don't have either console, and want the most bang for your buck, I may recommend Wii U if you're wanting to mod it. Outside of that? I see no point.

It's a new gen console. Don't hurt yourself.
its not it has to be more powerful then xbox one x and ps4 pro for it to be a new gen console.

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Just a rundown, this is a list of all the games a hacked Wii U can play:

all NES games
all SNES games
all Master System games
all Genesis games
all Turbografx games
all Virtual Boy games
all GB/GBC games
all GBA games
all Gamecube games
all Wii games
all Wii U games

most N64 games
most DS games
most PSone games

All those games can also be played entirely on the Wii U gamepad while you use the TV for other things with exception to many Wii games and many Wii U games.

For around $150, I think that's definitely a good deal, and no PC near that price is gonna be able to play the Wii U games to say the least.

Read "hacked". I also like how you assume the PC will only be for emulation. You have no argument. Just stop.

its not it has to be more powerful then xbox one x and ps4 pro for it to be a new gen console.

This is the most retarded thing you have ever said.

Reactions: Xzi

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the switches specs aren't much better then the wii u though the switch is a replacement for the wii u because of how bad it sold not a new gen console
It is only a slight improvement in power, but it's like 1/10000th the overall size of WiiU+tablet, also a real portable, so it's still a much better design.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Read "hacked". I also like how you assume the PC will only be for emulation. You have no argument. Just stop.

is an emulation pc worth it if you can't afford one and can afford the wii u no if every one could affoud a gaming pc they would not buy consoles.

Last edited by SoslanVanWieren,

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

So what if I said hacked?? I never said I wasn't saying hacked. And my argument is that no PC at even close to $150 can emulate a Wii U. It doesn't matter if you want to do other things with your PC or not, find me the cheapest PC you can get to play Wii U games, and then tell me its a better value than the Wii U if all I want is a system to play the vast majority of Nintendo games.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wii u plays wii u games wii games gamecube games when hacked so yeah its worth it becausse of all the games you can run on it for the price of it.

That is literally all I've been saying, not sure why this guy thinks that is of no value to people just because its of no value to him.

osaka35

Instructional Designer
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i like wii u for playing games natively on native hardware (gamecube-ish, wii, wi u), and it's nice when someone else wants to play on the tv...but i much prefer my switch.

this all seems to be a new smash, though hopefully with some fun additions.

Reactions: MikaDubbz

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: DAYTONAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!