Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

ogpp.png

Yesterday we had a whole slew of new games revealed on Nintendo's latest Direct, but the title that stood out as the presentation ended, was Super Smash Bros.

One thing Nintendo conveniently forgot to mention or hint at in any way; is the game a port of the WiiU Smash, following the trend of a lot of the current AAA Switch library? Or is it an entirely new Smash, just for Switch? Or maybe it's a mix of the 2, a DX version?

28685955_10156210133009438_7998471808106341361_n-jpg.117022

We've already had a ton of theories in the Super Smash Brothers announce thread - but here, we would like you to cast a vote!

photo_2018-03-08_23-22-06.jpg

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Sure, but DX ports aren't meant to appeal to WiiU owners, they're meant to appeal to the other 99% of the gaming audience that didn't buy WiiUs. You can ignore them and buy only new games, that's fine. You just need to realize that the ports aren't slowing development of new games, only bringing those old experiences to new audiences.
yes but the ports are not full price on the wii u they aren't so your spending more money buying them on the switch.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
smash 4 took 6 years how can this be a new smash if its only coming out 4 years after smash 4
It's not a massive power upgrade in Switch like it has been for most Smash iterations in the past. They'll be using the same engine, which was easily adapted to Switch's hardware I'm sure.

yes but the ports are not full price on the wii u they aren't so your spending more money buying them on the switch.
Again, nobody cares that they're spending a bit more money to get them on a newer (and better) system.

D

Deleted User

Firstly, stop using hyperbole. Switch is not a "majority" WiiU ports by any accurate count.
Get a list of the exclusive switch games, cut out the shovelware, cut out the games which aren't deluxe editions/ports, then count the number of games you have left. I'm not going to bother but I doubt you'd be left with even 10 games.

m_babble

Elder Phantom
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really hope it's a new one. I mean, I get the ports. Wii U was a flop and they want the few standout titles it had to get a chance. Still - they gotta keep the first party Switch exclusives coming. Especially with their more prominent IPs.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't have a Wii U there's almost no point in getting one now.

Its a pretty great system if you hack it out, capable of playing nearly all Nintendo system games that came before it excluding the 3DS and a portion of the DS and N64 libraries. I'm never gonna get rid of my Wii U because of the neat little system its become since hacking it out like crazy.

However, if the question is what do I play far more of these days and look most forward to playing more of in the future, then the answer is without a doubt my Switch.

Reactions: Magnus87

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kind of weird that free is being used as a argument considering that goes for all games not just the ones on the Switch.

Also, the other consoles also have a lot of ports,remakes and remasters.
I have no bias here as I think Smash is a pretty cruddy game; I do think it is a new game. A hype trailer like that for a re-release would cause way too much blowback.
Doesn't that mean you do have a bias? lol

Reactions: Xzi

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Not everything is about being a cheapskate or we'd all be gaming on DOS and Atari still. People want newer and better hardware, and WiiU doesn't receive newer software either.
i already said if your a switch owner its cheaper to buy a wii u and the wii u ports then to buy them all on your switch.

gamemasteru03

Nintendo nerd
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ogpp.png

Yesterday we had a whole slew of new games revealed on Nintendo's latest Direct, but the title that stood out as the presentation ended, was Super Smash Bros.

One thing Nintendo conveniently forgot to mention or hint at in any way; is the game a port of the WiiU Smash, following the trend of a lot of the current AAA Switch library? Or is it an entirely new Smash, just for Switch? Or maybe it's a mix of the 2, a DX version?

28685955_10156210133009438_7998471808106341361_n-jpg.117022

We've already had a ton of theories in the Super Smash Brothers announce thread - but here, we would like you to cast a vote!

I'm think it's a new game but it's only been like 3 years since smash Wii u and 3ds support was dropped...

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Its a pretty great system if you hack it out, capable of playing nearly all Nintendo system games that came before it excluding the 3DS and a portion of the DS and N64 libraries. I'm never gonna get rid of my Wii U because of the neat little system its become since hacking it out like crazy.

However, if the question is what do I play far more of these days and look most forward to playing more of in the future, then the answer is without a doubt my Switch.
Right, you have to hack it for it to be of any use to anyone who doesn't already have that option. Anything the Wii U can do my PC can do.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

i already said if your a switch owner its cheaper to buy a wii u and the wii u ports then to buy them all on your switch.
It's a massive waste of money to buy another console just for the sake of not buying a port... Kind of stupid, too.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't know what kind of communication barrier we're dealing with here but this is ridiculous. Yeah, I get that it's cheaper. You don't get that nobody cares, nobody wants a dead console released in 2013 if they don't already own it.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
RIght, you have to hack it for it to be of any use to anyone who doesn't already have that option. Anything the Wii U can do my PC can do.

Sure, but a Wii U isn't gonna cost you nearly as much as it will cost to get a nice enough gaming PC that can run the Wii U emulator at a decent speed.

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I don't know what kind of communication barrier we're dealing with here but this is ridiculous. Yeah, I get that it's cheaper. You don't get that nobody cares, nobody wants a dead console released in 2013 if they don't already own it.
you don't understand that not every one thinks the extra content in the switch version is worth it and its cheaper to get them on the wii u.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not by much...

Yeah, by a fair amount, you can get a Wii U for as little as $150 these days, probably even less. Plus seriously, its an official Nintendo system with the vast majority of all Nintendo titles capable of being played on it, no PC will be able to say that. I legit just call my Wii U my Nintendo these days haha.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!