Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

ogpp.png

Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

Yesterday we had a whole slew of new games revealed on Nintendo's latest Direct, but the title that stood out as the presentation ended, was Super Smash Bros.

One thing Nintendo conveniently forgot to mention or hint at in any way; is the game a port of the WiiU Smash, following the trend of a lot of the current AAA Switch library? Or is it an entirely new Smash, just for Switch? Or maybe it's a mix of the 2, a DX version?

28685955_10156210133009438_7998471808106341361_n-jpg.117022

We've already had a ton of theories in the Super Smash Brothers announce thread - but here, we would like you to cast a vote!

photo_2018-03-08_23-22-06.jpg

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Dude, this is like saying that GTA San Andreas is basically a GTA III DX GoTY because SA is build off the engine of GTA VC, which at the same time GTA VC's engine is based off GTA III's one
its not based on its the same exact engine on smb2 lol they made no changes at all besides adding wind, just play the game for yourself besides the windy levels the engine is 100% the same same for all the sprites lol, they didnt changed mario engine or sprites until smb3

if gta vc had all the same models and mechanics unchanged and just changed afew missions and the city then yeah lol, but it doesnt, the engine is diferent you can fell when driving or walking even, diferent 3d models, diferent mechanics all round.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sonic one sonic 2 again they used same textures, made diferent maps and added tails.
mario party 1 2 and 3, same models added some minigames and changed the maps.
pokemon stadium 1 and 2 just added the missing pokemons models and attacks.

So you're telling me that there were NO mechanical additions or changes between ANY of these games? Nothing to differentiate between them besides graphical differences and some characters?

Keep in mind that I, once again, mentioned this in my earlier posts. It would help to re-read them to understand where I'm coming from.

there are countless examples of this.

call of duty games on ps2 for instance they are all very very similar same engine just diferent maps missions, there are countless examples of games using same engine and assets , making diferent levels and its a sequel.

Someone mentioned this earlier. Even though they're the same engine, CoD is known for rehashing their games. There are some mechanical differences between the two, but now we're arguing semantics. Everyone knows that low quality games like CoD, the recent Sonics (not counting Mania), and, unfortunately, Battlefield have the bad habit of being the same shit, even in sequel form. Again, I mentioned stuff like this in my other posts.

also incase you didnt knew smb2 on japan wasnt released on usa becuase it was too hard aparently they putted enemies and jumps much closer together in a way the game was considered hard so nintendo of america got another platform game and called it smb2 lol and reskined with mario.

smb and smb2 are the same exact game just look them up and besides lvl diferences they just added wind to some levels.

Your answer to this is literally in your own words.

"so nintendo of america got another platform game and called it smb2 lol and reskined with mario."

This means it's not even the same game. You can't apply that logic to this argument because at the core, they were different.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
So you're telling me that there were NO mechanical additions or changes between ANY of these games? Nothing to differentiate between them besides graphical differences and some characters?

Keep in mind that I, once again, mentioned this in my earlier posts. It would help to re-read them to understand where I'm coming from.

Someone mentioned this earlier. Even though they're the same engine, CoD is known for rehashing their games. There are some mechanical differences between the two, but now we're arguing semantics. Everyone knows that low quality games like CoD, the recent Sonics (not counting Mania), and, unfortunately, Battlefield have the bad habit of being the same shit, even in sequel form. Again, I mentioned stuff like this in my other posts.

Your answer to this is literally in your own words.

"so nintendo of america got another platform game and called it smb2 lol and reskined with mario."

This means it's not even the same game. You can't apply that logic to this argument because at the core, they were different.
you dont understand the original smb2 game that was released on america was never a smb game lol.

the official smb2 game made by nintendo was never released on usa until the snes all star pak came around and they called it super mario bros lost levels lol.

so yeah smb2 usa is a totaly diferent game from head to botton, but that is not even made by nintendo they didnt wanted to translate the official smb2 game becuase they tough the game was too hard for american audiences.

srs how come no one knows the story of smb2?

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you dont understand the original smb2 game that was released on america was never a smb game lol.

the official smb2 game made by nintendo was never released on usa until the snes all star pak came around and they called it super mario bros lost levels lol.

so yeah smb2 usa is a totaly diferent game from head to botton, but that is not even made by nintendo they didnt wanted to translate the official smb2 game becuase they tough the game was too hard for american audiences.

srs how come no one knows the story of smb2?

Pedro, stay on track here. No one is arguing if the game was real or not, or who released what. We're talking about the differences between ports and sequels and what defines what. The SMB2 we received was not even a true sequel, it was a different game as you said and doesn't qualify. I understand what you're saying, but you're ignoring my posts and continuing to pursue a different discussion.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Pedro, stay on track here. No one is arguing if the game was real or not, or who released what. We're talking about the differences between ports and sequels and what defines what. The SMB2 we received was not even a true sequel, it was a different game as you said and doesn't qualify. I understand what you're saying, but you're ignoring my posts and continuing to pursue a different discussion.
how im i ignoring i already told you the orignal smb and smb2 are the same game with added win.

sonic 1 and 2 are the same game with same engine sprites and ssuch but they added tails for 2 players and made diferent lvls.

pokemon stadium 1 and 2 again added missing pokemons and attacks and its the same game lol.

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm calling Super Smash Bros. Wii U 1.5.

Everything from the Wii U version with new characters and stages. The Wii U had such little attention that this is basically a new game for the vast majority of players.

I'm also saying it is dropping this summer, shortly after E3.

O-and there will be Player 2 Amiibo's....god help me....

Mic drop.....

Last edited by gamecaptor,

Kioku

猫。子猫です!
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
T
I'm calling Super Smash Bros. Wii U 1.5.

Everything from the Wii U version with new characters and stages. The Wii U had such little attention that this is basically a new game for the vast majority of players.

I'm also saying it is dropping this summer, shortly after E3.

Mic drop.....

That's now how the mic drop works..

Reactions: Deathscreton

SoslanVanWieren

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
smash 4 was more like hd brawl i think it will be the same for this

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Can't just be a straight port with Inklings and BotW Link.

I expect Sma5h with some asset/engine reuse from Sm4sh
they added new chracters with dlc in smash 4 so it can be.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ocarina of Time, Majora's Mask, Wind Waker, and I THINK Twilight Princess all use the exact same physics engines
A physics engine is different from a core engine. For instance, Unity and UE4 are all compatible with nVidias Physx engine. That's not the same as say, Pokemon X and Pokemon Y using the same engine to build off of (I know these aren't sequels, but they're a good example of using the same engine).

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @BakerMan, I have a piano keyboard but I never use it