Can't play any Switch game online except Super Mario Bros. Wonder (need help)

Deleted member 466238

OP
Trophies
XP
As the title says, I can't play any Switch game online as they give me the exact same error code: 2618-0513 "Unable to connect to the other console(s). NAT traversal process has failed". The only game that works without any issues is Super Mario Bros. Wonder, oddly enough.

I already tried changing and opening ports, changing DNS, and checked what my NAT type is (it's B, so it should work from what I was told)

I am posting this here since none of the tutorials I have read have helped me so far and I am really desperate at this point. I was told that the Peer to Peer connections aren't working with my internet, but I can play Mario Kart Wii via Wiimmfi on a modded Wii perfectly fine, which also uses P2P.. I also can play games online on my PC and PS5, too.. So i'm puzzled And ai could really use your help.

Also, I already enabled DMZ to my switch, but that didn't solve my issue.

--Games that are working 100%--

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Sky: Children of the Light (not a Nintendo game but I will mention it too)

--Games that don't work (that I tested)--"

Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury (others can't join my room)

Super Smash Bros. Ultimate (Can't find players)

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe (Can't find players)

Super Mario Maker 2 (Can't find players to play coop. I can view, play and download levels just fine though)

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (can't travel to other people islands and they can't visit mine)

Splatoon 2 (can't find players)

If anyone had this same issue and solved it, please help! It would be much appreciated.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As the title says, I can't play any Switch game online as they give me the exact same error code: 2618-0513 "Unable to connect to the other console(s). NAT traversal process has failed". The only game that works without any issues is Super Mario Bros. Wonder, oddly enough.

I already tried changing and opening ports, changing DNS, and checked what my NAT type is (it's B, so it should work from what I was told)

I am posting this here since none of the tutorials I have read have helped me so far and I am really desperate at this point. I was told that the Peer to Peer connections aren't working with my internet, but I can play Mario Kart Wii via Wiimmfi on a modded Wii perfectly fine, which also uses P2P.. I also can play games online on my PC and PS5, too.. So i'm puzzled And ai could really use your help.

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Super Mario Maker 2 (Can't find players to play coop. I can view, play and download levels just fine though)

Animal Crossing: New Horizons (can't travel to other people islands and they can't visit mine)

If anyone had this same issue and solved it, please help! It would be much appreciated.
I'd verify you dont have any of Nintendo's servers blocked on your network. Also maybe try on a hotspot just to test it out?

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They shouldn't be, but how can I check that anyways? And yes I tried using a hotspot with my phone (which was connected to my WiFi), to no avail
Well I'm trying to diagnose whether this is truly something with your network or not. I'd suggest trying with anyone else's wifi to see if it changes. Seeing you have already reset all the wifi settings I'd try sending it in for repair if that doesnt work. Or at least contact Nintendo support.

Deleted member 466238

OP
Trophies
XP
Well I'm trying to diagnose whether this is truly something with your network or not. I'd suggest trying with anyone else's wifi to see if it changes. Seeing you have already reset all the wifi settings I'd try sending it in for repair if that doesnt work. Or at least contact Nintendo support.
Just tried a different network and it worked, although that connection is very unstable and I can't really use it to play online, so it would be great if mine worked, but for some reason it doesn't... Mario Wonder is the only game that works, is it because this game doesn't use P2P? (But then again, I have played games with P2P before, like MKWii on a modded Wii).

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Just tried a different network and it worked, although that connection is very unstable and I can't really use it to play online, so it would be great if mine worked, but for some reason it doesn't... Mario Wonder is the only game that works, is it because this game doesn't use P2P? (But then again, I have played games with P2P before, like MKWii on a modded Wii).
I'd suggest contacting Nintendo here.

Reactions: ILuvGames

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Super Mario Bros. Wonder

Could be the router or it's firmware that is letting you down. Could be that you are not close enough to the router causing the connection to drop or drop lots of packets. If you go to a site like this on a laptop, pc or your switch that is using wi-fi, what is your jitter result and were there any lost packets?
https://www.fusionconnect.com/speed-test-plus

Last edited by ILuvGames,

Deleted member 466238

OP
Trophies
XP
Could be the router or it's firmware that is letting you down. Could be that you are not close enough to the router causing the connection to drop or drop lots of packets. If you go to a site like this on a laptop, pc or your switch that is using wi-fi, what is your jitter result and were there any lost packets?
https://www.fusionconnect.com/speed-test-plus
These were the results:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231128_175346_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231128_175346_Chrome.jpg
    138 KB · Views: 30

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
These were the results:
Well, that's proves that the connection is stable. 6ms jitter is certainly nothing to worry about. If it was close to 30ms or above then it would be a different matter.

Deleted member 466238

OP
Trophies
XP
Yeah I will try to contact them but I don't have high hopes tbh. Also i'm still curious why Super Mario Wonder is different than the other games lol.

Also do you think this might be an issue on the ISP's end?

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
@Zurdonx, although I don't understand the exact specifics, it's possible that your ISP is forcing you to use something called Carrier-Grade NAT. It may be that your only solution is to buy a public IP address from them. If your ISP has a support forum, you might find your answer there.

You could also trying searching for those problematic games here as they provide the ports that should be open on a game by games basis.

https://portforward.com/
https://portforward.com/mario-kart-8-deluxe/

As you'll notice from the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe page, it mentions it needing UDP ports 1-65535 open and not 1024-65535 like the instructions for Port Forwarding on the official Nintendo Website.

Last edited by ILuvGames,

linuxares

The inadequate, autocratic beast!
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
Van you try connecting via like your phone? So we can try to narrow down the possible causes?

Edit: I see you already tried that. Is the Switch modified in anyway?

Deleted member 466238

OP
Trophies
XP
Van you try connecting via like your phone? So we can try to narrow down the possible causes?

Edit: I see you already tried that. Is the Switch modified in anyway?
Switch is 100% legit, not modded. I tried with someone else's wifi network and it worked, but it doesn't work with my wifi.

@ILuvGames thanks for the info, I will try that later.

Deleted member 466238

OP
Trophies
XP
If he put it in a dmz he shouldn't need portforwarding. Also that range is all ports... It can cause other issues.

Edit: if you gonna test this. Make sure it's port triggering and not portforwarding
Yeah I have DMZ already enabled on my console's ip. At this point I don't know what else to try.. If nothing else works I will just contact my ISP and Nintendo and see what they can do.

Thanks to everyone for the help though!

ILuvGames

The Avatar-less One
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Yeah I have DMZ already enabled on my console's ip. At this point I don't know what else to try.. If nothing else works I will just contact my ISP and Nintendo and see what they can do.

I edited my last post just in case it helped you more.

paulttt

Trophies
XP
Country

I'd suggest your ISP first. I don't think this is a "Nintendo issue" given that it works on someone else's connection. What does seem strange is the diffenece in upload and download speeds. Typically speaking on a non fibre line, the upstream is usually lower than the down.

Have you checked to see if there are any parental controls set up in the router? Also, what country are you in? I know a fair bit about ISPs in the UK, hence that question.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto