Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

ogpp.png

Is Smash 2018 a port, or a new game?

Yesterday we had a whole slew of new games revealed on Nintendo's latest Direct, but the title that stood out as the presentation ended, was Super Smash Bros.

One thing Nintendo conveniently forgot to mention or hint at in any way; is the game a port of the WiiU Smash, following the trend of a lot of the current AAA Switch library? Or is it an entirely new Smash, just for Switch? Or maybe it's a mix of the 2, a DX version?

28685955_10156210133009438_7998471808106341361_n-jpg.117022

We've already had a ton of theories in the Super Smash Brothers announce thread - but here, we would like you to cast a vote!

photo_2018-03-08_23-22-06.jpg

deinonychus71

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its just kind of an interesting discussion. What exactly constitutes an enhanced port or an entirely new game? If the game started as a port of the game before it, bringing over physics and character models, but then things are not only added, but things within all that code are tweaked and changed. Is all of that still an enhanced port, or is it a new game, or does that deserve a different label entirely?

Exactly. It's not binary at all.

Hyrule Warriors Legends was a new game, but you could as well say it's just a port with additional content.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think its just kind of an interesting discussion. What exactly constitutes an enhanced port or an entirely new game? If the game started as a port of the game before it, bringing over physics and character models, but then things are not only added, but things within all that code are tweaked and changed. Is all of that still an enhanced port, or is it a new game, or does that deserve a different label entirely?
Now we're getting philosophical. Nice.

D

Deleted User

One of the silhouettes at the end of the trailer, lower right, tall and in a kind of super hero pose, makes me think of the pokemon UB-02 Buzzwole.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Exactly. It's not binary at all.

Hyrule Warriors Legends was a new game, but you could as well say it's just a port with additional content.
This is where it gets iffy. Legends was "technically" a port, but it did include changes to mechanics. What defines it as a "port" is that the mechanical changes were changes to existing mechanics. The game didn't include any new, game changing changes. I'd consider it a port and not a new game.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

One of the silhouettes at the end of the trailer, lower right, tall and in a kind of super hero pose, makes me think of the pokemon UB-02 Buzzwole.
I've always loved that Ultra Beast name. Buzzwole. Whoever created that name needs a raise and beer.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
This is where it gets iffy. Legends was "technically" a port, but it did include changes to mechanics. What defines it as a "port" is that the mechanical changes were changes to existing mechanics. The game didn't include any new, game changing changes. I'd consider it a port and not a new game.

I've always loved that Ultra Beast name. Buzzwole. Whoever created that name needs a raise and beer.
by that logic super mario galaxy 2 was just a port since they used same engine added diferent levels some power ups and yoshi lol.

same can be said about every new super mario bros game series, same mechanics diferent maps one or 2 new power ups at best.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
Developers don't like to change engines unless they have to. As much as it pains me to say it, the CoD games are all different games despite their very slight differences. It doesn't take a whole lot to make a new Smash game with most of the existing assets, either. Only have to change up the game modes and characters, add some new cutscenes.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by that logic super mario galaxy 2 was just a port since they used same engine added diferent levels some power ups and yoshi lol.

same can be said about every new super mario bros game series, same mechanics diferent maps one or 2 new power ups at best.
That was confirmed to be a continuation though. Besides the confirmation, SMG2 had NEW mechanics added to it. Every continuation has changes to the base game that qualify it as a contiguous entry in the series. The shitty part is when a game is labeled as a sequel, but is clearly a game with just a reskin. SMG2 was not this, and I don't think Sma5h will be this either.

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
That was confirmed to be a continuation though. Besides the confirmation, SMG2 had NEW mechanics added to it. Every continuation has changes to the base game that qualify it as a contiguous entry in the series. The shitty part is when a game is labeled as a sequel, but is clearly a game with just a reskin. SMG2 was not this, and I don't think Sma5h will be this either.
well waht about new super mario bros series? they are all reskins on the same engine with few added stuff and are called sequels, so if smash does this and keeps same mechanics its a sequel too.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
well waht about new super mario bros series? they are all reskins on the same engine with few added stuff and are called sequels, so if smash does this and keeps same mechanics its a sequel too.
ALL of the SMB games were DRASTICALLY different from one another. The core concept stayed the same, yes, and that also includes some of the code, but they all added different mechanics and upgrades to their prior entries. They all had major differences that made them unique. You can tell the difference by just looking at them.

Let me give you a thought experiment. Say you have Super Mario Bros 1, then you have Super Mario Bros 2. Now, can you imagine them taking EVERYTHING from SMB2, and adding it as an expansion to 1? Ignoring spec requirements and constraints they had because of the systems, even then I can't say that it would seem feasible to call it an expansion. That's practically a whole new game wrapped into the first. It wouldn't work.

With that being said, you have to keep in mind that the further we progress in terms of games and their creation, the less the games are going to differ on the outside (to an extent). It's the mechanics, code and creation that starts changing. Make sense?

TotalInsanity4

GBAtemp Supreme Overlord
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really since it was the very first thing you see in the 3ds/WiiU announcement back in 2013. The only difference was the cross was on fire not the circle.
It could also be that... That's just... Sakurai's aesthetic?... I mean, he has a very distinctive, over-the-top style

D

Deleted User

Whether it be new or a port, it just better not be Melee HD. I didn't like Melee to begin with, and much prefer Smash 4 or even Brawl mechanics.

I hate to say it but if it is Melee HD I just won't buy it.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Whether it be new or a port, it just better not be Melee HD. I didn't like Melee to begin with, and much prefer Smash 4 or even Brawl mechanics.

I hate to say it but if it is Melee HD I just won't buy it.
I will fight you. All jokes aside, can I ask why you don't like Melee?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
ALL of the SMB games were DRASTICALLY different from one another. The core concept stayed the same, yes, and that also includes some of the code, but they all added different mechanics and upgrades to their prior entries. They all had major differences that made them unique. You can tell the difference by just looking at them.

Let me give you a thought experiment. Say you have Super Mario Bros 1, then you have Super Mario Bros 2. Now, can you imagine them taking EVERYTHING from SMB2, and adding it as an expansion to 1? Ignoring spec requirements and constraints they had because of the systems, even then I can't say that it would seem feasible to call it an expansion. That's practically a whole new game wrapped into the first. It wouldn't work.

With that being said, you have to keep in mind that the further we progress in terms of games and their creation, the less the games are going to differ on the outside (to an extent). It's the mechanics, code and creation that starts changing. Make sense?
actualy the true smb2 is basicaly the same as smb1 the smb2usa is just a reskin but smb2 lost levels is basicaly a copy paste of smb1 textures and everything just diferent levels and added wind lol.

Deathscreton

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actualy the true smb2 is basicaly the same as smb1 the smb2usa is just a reskin but smb2 lost levels is basicaly a copy paste of smb1 textures and everything just diferent levels and added wind lol.
Okay, so the outlier. There's always one (this is my excuse so I can do further research instead out spouting stuff out my ass). Do you have any other examples?

pedro702

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Okay, so the outlier. There's always one (this is my excuse so I can do further research instead out spouting stuff out my ass). Do you have any other examples?
sonic one sonic 2 again they used same textures, made diferent maps and added tails.
mario party 1 2 and 3, same models added some minigames and changed the maps.
pokemon stadium 1 and 2 just added the missing pokemons models and attacks.

there are countless examples of this.

call of duty games on ps2 for instance they are all very very similar same engine just diferent maps missions, there are countless examples of games using same engine and assets , making diferent levels and its a sequel.

also incase you didnt knew smb2 on japan wasnt released on usa becuase it was too hard aparently they putted enemies and jumps much closer together in a way the game was considered hard so nintendo of america got another platform game and called it smb2 lol and reskined with mario.

smb and smb2 are the same exact game just look them up and besides lvl diferences they just added wind to some levels.

AxlSt00pid

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
Dude, this is like saying that GTA San Andreas is basically a GTA III DX GoTY because SA is build off the engine of GTA VC, which at the same time GTA VC's engine is based off GTA III's one

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Xdqwerty, People who create revival services for the Wii end up in disaster, same goes for Pretendo lol.
    +1
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, atleast wiimmfii went fine although people only use it for Mario kart Wii
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    At least if they ban you for cheating, get another Wii. They're cheap as chips.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Remember when RiiShop was a thing?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    not really
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It got shutdown because somebody "accidentally" leaked the database for the amount of people using the beta.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    RiiShop is the laziest way of downloading Wii games. Did somebody not think of this through?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    although i ended up accidentally changing my nand with no way of going back bc i didn't know you needed a gamecube controller to restore it (i have a wii minus/1.1, which doesn't have gamecube controller support)
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, I think you're talking about the recovery mode that the SaveMii used, and also was to restore softbricked systems.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    If your NAND was hardbricked, then just buy another Wii. Or go with the dirty NAND flasher method.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    and if i find the sd card i have my NAND backed up on, i can not only restore the NAND if i solder the right part in, but i can also put my NAND on dolphin, then i can play dolphin online, like PMEX Remix or MKWii Riibalanced
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    Brb
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @BakerMan, Oh yeah, that was a thing too. Dolphin does support Wiimmfi.
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    yeah you just need to put your NAND backup with wiimmfi on it
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ngl i feel like if a bunch of my friends have wiis and know how to get wiimmfi and back up their NAND, then we could do a PMEX Remix tournament
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    maybe even add UMVC3/DBFZ and make it a biathlon/triathlon
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Too bad Excite Truck wasn't multi player :(
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Loved that game lol
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @SylverReZ, sorry for the stupid suggestion I had in that thread
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Its fine
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    what thread?
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxR2jow50Bs