IGN ranks the top 100 RPGs of all time

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They're going to have Pokemon? It's weird for me that the main series games are kind of RPG, I see them more as strategy/adventure stuff. I don't know, the genre classification for Pokemon was never solid for me. Mystery Dungeon's a different story.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
While I like lists, "RPG" is a pretty broad term. Even just on what's shown, I see turn based RPG's (final fantasy), hack n slash (torchlight 2), roguelike (darkest dungeon) and MMO (everquest). In other words: it's really going to be apples and oranges. :unsure:

Chary

Never sleeps
OP
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Okay, looking at the list, it's not as trash as I expected, but still pretty bad. There's no Shin Megami Tensei games, they have the worst version of Persona 3 on there, and their idea of an "RPG" is too broad. Then, they're ranking some games for what they did for the industry/genre/franchise, yet they have Fire Emblem 7 on there, with no Awakening, which is what saved the series. But then they have Pokemon Yellow as the best Pokemon game of all time, which wasn't as revolutionary as R/B/G, nor was it as feature-packed as G/S/C, or the remakes, FR/LG. World of Warcraft being on there doesn't even make sense, Fallout 2 outpacing New Vegas is laughable, and Earthbound sits far too high, amusingly outranking titles that far and above surpass it.

There's no real form or function to the list, and it feels more like IGN took a bunch of raffled game names out of a hat, and shoved Chrono Trigger at the top of the list just not to cause too much havoc.

RustInPeace

Samurai Cop
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just started playing Red via VC on 3DS, never really played the GB titles for an extensive period of time. I'm really liking the, well, colors. As in, no colors, the grayscale look feels polished, whereas in Yellow, now that I think about it, looks pasted on. Doesn't make it bad at all, just somehow I'm appreciating the GB look over the early GBC one. It's hard to pick a favorite Pokemon game, and I don't dare pit any one against RPGs, as I have no extensive knowledge of the famous games of that genre, or any notable one for that matter. That being said, most sentimental because I lamented trading it away along with a GBA SP for a GBA and FireRed, Emerald. FireRed's great, but if I had more feelings back then as I do now, I would've cried about that grave mistake, one regret in life.

The difficulty in picking the best is more or less on being current. I have to play SM to keep on top of things, thus time dedicated to older titles is rare and soon enough I play the current games more than any other title, combined, with how I spend my time. Also the competitive side of things, I love the Gen 3 games, but that physical/special split before Gen 4, back then I didn't give much thought, now I think it's really annoying. Being spoiled by Gen 6/7 games, I get annoyed at EXP grinding in Gen 1, breeding before Gen 6 was a nightmare not worth my time. All that stuff. Take all that out, as they're parts of the experience and not the whole of it, I still hold Emerald in high regard, and love the Battle Frontier. In fact my favorite Pokemon games had Frontier, so Platinum, sweet stuff. I love HGSS, and without a doubt those games had the best music, no question about it, several times a week I loop some tracks from it, that fucking good.

I got off track. Yellow's good, but I preferred FRLG, in fact those games still stand out, the graphics on that seem standalone, vibrant colors that weren't seen in any of the GB to DS titles, save for HGSS. I wish the music was a bit stronger in FRLG, but that's nitpicking now. And the postgame, Battle Tower would've been sweet.

And for that list, it always seems Gold & Silver top out best Pokemon game lists, from what I've seen, since it introduced a lot of things still felt today, and I don't think any generation introduced that many major changes. So perhaps those should've gone over Yellow, IGN loves the early anime too much? Yellow does take bits from the anime after all.

Reactions: Chary

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like Chrono Trigger, a lot, but there's still one thing bothering me, why in blue blazes does Marle cast fire when Lucca is the fire user? :unsure: I agree with some of the list, but it's the burning question I have (no pun intended).

BORTZ

DO NOT SCREENSHOT
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
List is already trash.
They put ff1 over kh2
You're right, no self respecting list would ever include KHs at all

that is persona 3, which is NOT an SMT game.
Weird, that's totally not the first 3 words in all 3 of the different versions of Persona 3.
persona3us.jpg 112775-shin-megami-tensei-persona-3-fes-playstation-2-front-cover.jpg 81yTRFRr23L._AC_SX215_.jpg

Issac

Iᔕᔕᗩᑕ
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
Sweden
I think it's an okay list. I mean, it's their opinion in the end. I would sneak in Final Fantasy 8 in there, because FF8 is love.
I don't think Stardew Valley has a place in that list though... Well, there's fighting too of course... But meh. No, not in a RPG list.

Taleweaver

Storywriter
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
The true question is: Is there any game where you don't assume a role?
Oooh...that's a deep one. It's true: when taken from a philosophical standpoint, the very notion of classifying games into preconfined spaces is moot, as you can roleplay tic tac toe if you want to.

Incidentally, I can argue that the entire list also consists of 100 games of the following categories:
-puzzle games: you need to find out optimal strategies from a finite number of choices
-RTS: even though some parts (like fighting) pause the game, the cutscènes happen in real time. There's also a matter of strategy involved, since you prepare for future battles as well
-fighting: are there games that aren't a matter of winning and losing, and is this not decided in a matter that can be conceived as being "a fight"?
-platformer: even a game based on an isometric or 3D plane is just a whole bunch of 2D planes next to each other
-hacking game: if not using a sword or sharp object, there's always the act of grokking the way the game presents itself and coming up with a system that 'breaks' the overall win condition by the other. Hence...hacking

I could go on, but I feel corny enough already. :P

Reactions: smilodon

Youkai

Demon
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
lol ... seeing RPG, opening thread, seeing Hack and Slash games and other stuff I wouldn't categorize as normal "rpg"

I think they should have done seperated lists for MMO, Hack and Slay, Traditional, whatever

If i am not mistaken there are even shooter on that list oO ?

Last edited by Youkai,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://www.ebay.com/itm/386617469929?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=2T8UwYf_Qse&...