If you could help me out by answering a few questions.

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by VLinh, Nov 17, 2010.

?

If you pirate, why?

1. Because it's free?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Testing it before buying it?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Convenient?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Too Expensive?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Other reasons?

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. VLinh
    OP

Member VLinh GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Currently, im working on a report, a research report on Piracy. First off, i am not intending to say piracy is bad, but to get everyone's view on the topic itself.

So my main three questions are:

1. Why do people do it in the first place, what succumbs them into doing it?

2. Is it really affecting companies such as Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or music companies?

3. What can we do to prevent piracy?

Keep in mind, i buy my games and such now, im not saying i hate piracy, but i really wanted to know why people do it. Because its free? dont want to spend money?

So im making a poll with some suggestions, and would greatly appreciate your feedback in anyway, concerning the questions im asking. Ive been with GBATemp for a while now, and to be honest, its one of the best gaming info sites i go to, so i thought this place would be a great place to get some feedback

If you can provide links to previous polls concerning piracy, it be very helpful as well!

And if an option in the poll isnt avaliable, please do reply with your own input!

I hope you can take the time out of your busy schedule and help me by inputting your thoughts and ideas

Thanks Everyone! [​IMG]

2. Devin

Member Devin "Local Hardware Wizard"

United States
    1. Games for free, or paying $50's for a game.

2. Yes. Companies typically lose thousands of dollars due to Piracy.

3. Buy their Merchandise.

Done.

3. monkat

Banned monkat I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.

United States

4. Guild McCommunist

Member Guild McCommunist (not on boat)

United States
    1. Free stuff.
    2. Not really, most games that sell poorly just sell poorly because they do. Piracy, if anything, takes a small amount of potential money away from companies that are making more than they'll ever need.
    3. Outside of shutting down the internet or violating our civil liberties, nothing.

5. jan777

Member jan777 motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz

Philippines
    my flamewar senses are tingling...

Well, IMO, Most people pirate because they can and its free, they dont actually care that what they are doing is wrong.

6. Law

Member Law rip ninjacat that zarcon made me

United Kingdom
    1) I don't have the cash
    2) Probably not
    3) What guild said. Also whatever they try is just going to have a flaw that somebody will devote days of their life figuring out.

Thousands of dollars

So they lose less than 1% of their total profits.

7. Pyrmon

Member Pyrmon Burnin' Monkey Love

Canada
    I'm really poor and can't afford games. Also, I can't legally work, so making any money at all is very difficult. I usually sell services like jailbreaking and putting custom firmwares or I sell an R4 with wood for 40$, but I don't sell them often. So I'm stuck with piracy and buying used games once in a while(every 6 months or year, maybe).

8. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Relevant;

9. murkurie

Member murkurie GBAtemp Fan

United States
    I don't think companies lose money from piracy, if some on pirates it, they uaslly never intended to buy it, thus no sale lost, or gained

10. SinHarvest24

Member SinHarvest24 Shiroyasha

Trinidad and Tobago
    not true, it's like this.
    Why buy it when you can get it free?
    some of us usually just pirate stuff because it's free and well we have a very low budget but when you really like a game (like i'm a fan of the final fantasy series) if i can't get my hand on a pirate of it i will buy it. There's a lot of people who have the money to buy the games (may not be as much as they pirate but they still buy 1) and that adds to a sale count. If pirated games suddenly came to a halt, what would you do?
    Yes it does affect companies big time, that's 1 of the reasons many game developers are going multi-platform now.
    Pirated games shouldn't be taken lightly and you should appreciate it more and help support game developers and buy a game. [​IMG]

11. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Forgot the rest of my post.

Nintendo itself says piracy is not behind poor sales.
    http://gbatemp.net/t259065-nintendo-piracy...hind-poor-sales

And the commonly-cited figures for job/revenue loss for piracy have been found to be completely bogus and nobody knows where they even came from.
    http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...s-are-bogus.ars

12. DeadLocked

Member DeadLocked Bi-Winning.

United Kingdom
    I pirate games that either:
    a.) I plan to buy in the future but I dont want to waste £50 to find out it's a pile of steamy dogshit
    b.) I have no intention of buying, company doesn't lose anything whatsoever.

in fact I even pirated half life 2, played it and realised it was good and bought it which I wouldn't have if I didn't play it first = Profit.

I will just run out of games. Still wouldn't buy more games than I do now.
    It's all down to your own ideals.

13. Stevetry

Banned Stevetry Most perverted person in GBATEMP

Puerto Rico
    unlike other people i buy the games them dump them for my use

14. SinHarvest24

Trinidad and Tobago
    true. but if pirated games came to a halt i would be less of a bum an get a job to buy games. hahaha....oh, wait...that's not funny [​IMG]

15. SinHarvest24

Trinidad and Tobago
    Well that's just nintendo. It seems that piracy is not as major as i expected but still is a problem for some.

16. exangel

Member exangel executioner angel

United States
    I'm a very selective pirate.

As far as game-related piracy, I like to collect games so that I have my own personal archives. A lot of the games are games that I own, or owned but misplaced or had to resell in order to have food on the table when I was younger. I do happen to have a large number of pirated games that I never paid for, but damn near all of them I would never have bought if they couldn't have been pirated.
    If I couldn't have pirated many of the PS One, Dreamcast, or Gameboy/GBA/DS games that I have in my collection, I would not have replaced my PS One console, bought a Dreamcast, or purchased multiple Gameboy/GBA/DS consoles, much less any of the games for those consoles, games I legally own(ed).
    Assuming I suddenly had none of my pirated console games and couldn't obtain any more of them; Assuming I could not use homebrew or unauthorized cheat devices, I'd buy a lot less, not a lot more console gaming products. I would also resell many of the things I do own legally.
    I'm already way behind with TV-based consoles because of genuinely not being interested in the games enough.
    I also used to make a living dealing in used games on eBay, and it's a big pain in the freaking ass to organize large physical game collections, especially when many or most of them don't have the original packaging. And like with packaging from cartridge games until the DS came out, keeping track of those GBA boxes sucked! They were damaged easily if reused for storage.

With software (including PC game) related piracy, I don't do it so much. But, that is more because of what EA and Blizzard offer me in having licensed software: patches/updates, support, no charge for bandwidth consumed by having to re-download the software. Those are things that I expect of non-entertainment software: Antivirus software, utilities that I like and wish to contribute to further development of, some productivity software. Even Windows, except for the re-downloading part. I only own two pirated PC games that I like and won't pay for, and that is because both of them are 10+ years old and I can't pay for them if I wanted to, they aren't supported, and it takes special measures to even get them working in Windows 7.

With music/film piracy, I hardly do that too, because I'm a cranky old hag, and I only listen to the music produced by my favorite bands that I've been listening to for the last 15 years, or stuff people send me on Youtube. I usually actually buy the CD's when the bands I like release them. As far as film goes, if it doesn't come out on Netflix and I get serial-nagged to watch it, I'll pirate it, but I usually go for documentaries or TV Series, and Netflix has a hell of a lot of those legally.
    With anime, I have a membership to a website that hosts many entire series (or ongoing series) with fan subs and charges fees to cover server costs, with the option to buy additional chunks of bandwidth for one-time fees. I don't know what their copyright stance is, but it's a great community and I'm happy to contribute to it, even if they're not legally hosting the videos.

17. Shinigami357

Member Shinigami357 Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger

Philippines
    Great, the topic that never ceases to derail itself and evolve into full-blown flame wars. By the end of the week, you'll have trolling, quoting and linking stuff back and forth until you research gets buried. By the way, is this research personal or for school, or are you perhaps a spy?

PS

1. Personally, coz the person who bought my DSi advised me to do so. Back in the GBA days, I bought as many games as my parents' meager incomes could buy.

2. Nintendo did say it doesn't really affect them all that much, but then again, Nintendo almost never gets fazed by anything.

3. Prevent piracy? The same things we do to prevent drug use, teen pregnancies, abortion, hate-induced crimes, etc. We argue, set laws that no one actually enforces and then sit on our thumbs lamenting that the world is turning into hell. Cool planet we got here. No wonder nerds wanna set off to Tatooine or some planet in a galaxy far, far away.

18. Sterling

Member Sterling GBAtemp's Silver Hero

United States
    I pirate because I do like to test the games before I buy them. Of course, this only happens on the DS because of how convenient and cheap it is to do so. Most games I like however, I do not buy. If something really catches my eye, or I have a good feeling of an upcoming game it is as good as bought. I had a few talks with a co-worker who disliked the "Big Corporations" of America. He argued that stealing physical items from a store is not as bad as stealing intellectual property such as games, or music. Because as an idea in your head, you want to share it. Things like the games and music of our age now, are being taken for granted more and more. Physical things that make our lives better are constantly being improved and outdated, but an idea or thought is always timeless and original, so therefore irreplacable.

19. Fudge

Banned Fudge Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra

United States
    1. It's free and easy.

2. Not really.

3. Nothing [​IMG]

Oh yeah, I messed up my poll vote. I meant to say Yes for "Are companies as of today elevating their Anti-Piracy tactics?". I put No.

20. VLinh
    OP

Member VLinh GBAtemp Fan

Canada
    Im loving your feedback and answers! Thanks again!

please continue! XD [​IMG]