• Total voters

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Like, I keep seeing these kind of posts about owning pets, and most says that they're good despite not being able to talk with them, or not getting attention from then except when they're asking to be fed or play with.

Speaking for myself, the only pet I've truly had for myself and brought home by myself was my puppy Luna (Sep 2003 - Feb 2018) and all of the others (Oso-2004-2019 / Théo-2019-? / Kiki-2019-? / Luna-2021-? / Bamboo-2023-? and Crucio-2009-2022 / Imperio-2009-?) have been brought by sisters and parents but I'm still the one taking care of them.
Why all this info? Well, because I want to make clear that I don't own pets because I feel lonely or because I want responsibilities... I own pets because there's nobody else to take care of them.

So, for instance, people gets pets because they just want company in their lives, no? So that's good for them.

But to me, it's a whole different matter, because I didn't asked for these responsibilities, and yet I'm having them.
Fucking spending money everyday in extra food, vet when they get sick (veeeeery rare (probably 1 visit every 3 or 5 years?) which means I'm doing a great job) and shampoo, and picking their stinky shit and cleaning pee every day and... just to get screamed/barked/hissed at?
Like, bitch I brought one dog home once and I was 9 years old 🙄
Despite all the bullshit, I do love them stupid hairy asses and bonking them heads once or twice everyday. :creep:

Now, I can't help but wonder why, despite that, pets are good?
What's in your opinion that reason why pets are good?

EDIT: Yes, I'm realizing I'm the male equivalent of Crazy Cat Lady... except they're dogs and turtles instead.

HellGhast

Trophies
XP
Country
Kenya
While technically not pets per se, my family and infact the entire neighborhood has always kept dogs for security reasons.

I find dogs to be fiercely loyal and will give up their lives protecting their owners.

RHOPKINS13

Geek
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pets are good for companionship. In some cases they might be the closest thing we can experience to unconditional love. Just treat them with some basic respect, put a roof over their head, feed them and pet them, and in most cases they'll love you for it. That's better than I can say about most humans.

Dondonuts

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Philippines
They are family, We love our cats and dogs. Dogs are good guardians too. Cate are actually sweet too, they just show their affection differently. One of out cats Mawmaw is actually quite talkative, when you talk to her she meows back usually. If you take care of them they love you back, simple as that.

Reactions: BigOnYa

rcpd

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pets are very easy to get them to pay attention and listen so that they perform how you want them to perform. Why? Because then you're a nicer person that takes care of them, so they try to do all the things that make you enjoy them. That definitely makes them #1 for a very accepted reason. I'll explain that later, but I would like to talk about other options before.

My children are by fare the best kids I've ever had to deal with. Their whole goal is to make things easy for both themself and me. They will seriously do things harder than is necessary. Why? Because for some random reason that makes me think better about them. The older they get, the way this changes. What do I mean? Now they will enjoy doing things that I like to do but they do not. Why? Because it makes me "great" and "more pleasant" to be around and "totally nice to talk to". Treat them fair, you will get kids who are very adamant about them doing the same.

Co-workers. As long as you're not an asshole idiot with the co-workers you own, when things go bad for you they will help you. I've worked at the place I cannot work any longer (injuries that require surgery) they all come over my house after they're told they can leave work. No calls. No texts. Just some great coffee/milk that you would use to make drinks. Myself and my children love it, but at the same time the guys are genuinely awesome. All they would like to do is help me because there are now things I cannot do. And trust me, I appreciate it a LOT!

But honestly, pets rule here. They don't change. I've lost 4 dogs because eventually they aged to the point where survival was going to injure them. When I took them to the vet, the vet suggested that I take them back to the place where they do what is mandatory so that I wasn't leaving the animal alive and injuring them. It hurt to get those suggestions at the time, but now that I've had time to walk through why it was asked, I'm very glad about my vet and how amazing her and her daughter have been. It still makes me feel bad, but at the same time I know that I was trying to help both them and my family and doing so involved not keeping them alive and on nasty drugs that cause them to be fucked. We are talking about dogs and treating them nicely will allow them to do the same for you. Don't be mean, neither will they. Pets definitely win here. I only know dogs because I'm mostly allergic to cats and lizards. (The cats make it hard for me to breathe and lizards make me itchy) So my opinion is only on cats and how amazing they are for just treating them nice. Admittedly, for the last 5-6 years we've owned a cat instead of a dog. This cat is 100% in love with all of us and admittedly will do things that may hurt him just to get touched by us. He's special, smart, and wants us all the way. I love that fool even though I cannot pet him because I get itchy everywhere and lose the ability to breathe air.

Cat, love you friend. I got treats for you too butd.

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
pets are too good for this world

I had many many many pets growing up, but it got too hard to lose them

so now I go petless - I hope another pet never finds me because I'm not ready for that level of emotional commitment again

x65943

i can be your sega dreamcast or sega nightmarecast
Supervisor
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You do realise that not all anti-depressants work, it just varies on person-to-person.
Something like 40% success rate per drug, but once you try a few the chances one works gets pretty high

That's why docs trial a drug for 6 weeks before moving on

Personally have only met 1 person for whom none worked (also had BPD) and they required ECT

But vast majority one drug will work

Reactions: SylverReZ

ZeroT21

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I had a puppy when i was little, gave it away sneakily without the parents knowing before it grew up, otherwise it would have ended up as dinner

KookSpook21

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nice topic mate, I'll share some thoughts regarding this.
But... LMAO, pets are vibing and that's all
Having a small pet (or not really) it's cool

regards

Reactions: eternal

Chary

Never sleeps
Chief Editor
Trophies
Website
opencritic.com
XP
Country
United States
Cats are stupid little creatures. But they love to be loved and they love to cuddle, and they're just wonderful little animals. They provide a level of companionship that other humans could never provide. I've got two cats on my lap while writing this. One is biting my arm because he's excited that my keyboard is making noise and he wants to play, while the other one is asleep and purring like a maniac because he's happy and content just to sit with me.

Reactions: x65943 and BigOnYa

BigOnYa

Has A Very Big
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
My Good boy made me chase him 1/2 mile today, chasing a rabbit. Little F**ker! He usually fine off his leash, but goes nuts over rabbits for some reason. (He's a Bichon Frise - White fur ball)

• Haha
Reactions: eternal and x65943

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
The other day stupid Luna chased a fucking child and I ran behind her. Deserved the kick on her stupid head.

Okay, no I didn't kicked her, but put her leash and she witnessed Théo playing and running with their ball because Théo is a good boi.

My Good boy made me chase him 1/2 mile today, chasing a rabbit. Little F**ker! He usually fine off his leash, but goes nuts over rabbits for some reason. (He's a Bichon Frise - White fur ball)
I guess must be genetic, for instance, Théo doesn't chase anything but likes to find stuff, and Luna is too stupid to find stuff, so she chases anything.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: eternal and BigOnYa

berezm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Pets are always there for us, no matter what we say or do.
This! It is so true! My dog always feels when I need support. She just comes and sits or lies near me.
Also, it is great to spend time together. We often go to the parks, I found all available in our area on the petsylife site. Moreover, regular walks help me stay active.

Last edited by berezm,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto