If you could help me out by answering a few questions.

If you pirate, why?

• Because it's free?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Testing it before buying it?

• Convenient?

• Too Expensive?

• Other reasons?

• Total voters

VLinh

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Currently, im working on a report, a research report on Piracy. First off, i am not intending to say piracy is bad, but to get everyone's view on the topic itself.

So my main three questions are:

1. Why do people do it in the first place, what succumbs them into doing it?

2. Is it really affecting companies such as Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or music companies?

3. What can we do to prevent piracy?

Keep in mind, i buy my games and such now, im not saying i hate piracy, but i really wanted to know why people do it. Because its free? dont want to spend money?

So im making a poll with some suggestions, and would greatly appreciate your feedback in anyway, concerning the questions im asking. Ive been with GBATemp for a while now, and to be honest, its one of the best gaming info sites i go to, so i thought this place would be a great place to get some feedback

If you can provide links to previous polls concerning piracy, it be very helpful as well!

And if an option in the poll isnt avaliable, please do reply with your own input!

I hope you can take the time out of your busy schedule and help me by inputting your thoughts and ideas

Thanks Everyone!
moogle.gif

Devin

"Local Hardware Wizard"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Games for free, or paying $50's for a game.

2. Yes. Companies typically lose thousands of dollars due to Piracy.

3. Buy their Merchandise.

Done.

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Twoacross said:
1. Why do people do it in the first place, what succumbs them into doing it?
Greed and lack of a job / money.
2. Is it really affecting companies such as Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, or music companies?
Well, yes. Without a doubt it is hurting them. The only doubt is to what extent.
3. What can we do to prevent piracy?
Honestly? Very little. There are a lot of you out here who will prefer to pirate a game than spend even $2 bucks on it, so price isn't the issue. The only real way is to create punishment. Also gimmicks will work, like the Pokéwalker.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
1. Free stuff.
2. Not really, most games that sell poorly just sell poorly because they do. Piracy, if anything, takes a small amount of potential money away from companies that are making more than they'll ever need.
3. Outside of shutting down the internet or violating our civil liberties, nothing.

jan777

motion control..? srsly? so 2008. 3DS is teh bombz
Trophies
XP
Country
my flamewar senses are tingling...

Well, IMO, Most people pirate because they can and its free, they dont actually care that what they are doing is wrong.

Law

rip ninjacat that zarcon made me
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
1) I don't have the cash
2) Probably not
3) What guild said. Also whatever they try is just going to have a flaw that somebody will devote days of their life figuring out.

RoxasIsSora said:
1. Games for free, or paying $50's for a game.

2. Yes. Companies typically lose thousands of dollars due to Piracy.

3. Buy their Merchandise.

Done.

Thousands of dollars

So they lose less than 1% of their total profits.

Pyrmon

Burnin' Monkey Love
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I'm really poor and can't afford games. Also, I can't legally work, so making any money at all is very difficult. I usually sell services like jailbreaking and putting custom firmwares or I sell an R4 with wood for 40$, but I don't sell them often. So I'm stuck with piracy and buying used games once in a while(every 6 months or year, maybe).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Relevant;
psychic stalker said:
shihabyooo said:
The case is simple. To which borders does piracy remain illegal ?
This is not simple. Not by any stretch of the imagination. The question is easy to ask, but there is no easy answer. This is, and has always been, a polarizing political issue.

The problem is that Copyright and Patent Laws make illegal an act that is, really, the simple nature of Human interaction: The dissemination and application of knowledge, language, emotion, and idea. It is, in simple terms, a lock and limits placed upon mimetic behavior.

The nature of our minds is to form, share, and apply Ideas. Successful Ideas spread and become a part of Culture. Unsuccessful Ideas are lost to memory. All Human knowledge formed as these Ideas. All Human Culture formed from these Ideas. And the only way for an Idea to be successful is to spread.

This isn't a new idea. We all know this to be true. A song becomes popular, and it becomes embedded in our Culture. A movie becomes popular, and we all make references to it, quoting and sometimes miming it. An invention succeeds in the market by the popularization of its use - sometimes to the extent where it becomes a part of our daily lives: Cars, computers, firearms, even our homes. That is the nature of the successful Ideas: To become a part of our lives. But not all Ideas are Good.

In the 1500's, a new Idea spread: The Idea to restrict the application of knowledge to a Chosen Few. The purpose of this new meme was to ensure that only the first person to capitalize on it should be permitted to do so. And this Idea isn't wrong. Certainly, the one to form an Idea should have the opportunity to profit from it. And most people realize that this is Just, since the expression of Ideas must be rewarded.

Yet the meme spread to the Law. Kings, Leaders, and powerful businessmen saw an opportunity to control the spread of knowledge. There is some benefit for a despotic Leader to control what Ideas become memes and what Ideas should be suppressed; for when you control the thoughts of your People, you control your Empire. And so it was with the Stationer's Company and the Kings and Lords of the lands: when you control who can say what, you can control the spread of Ideas; and controlling the spread of Ideas allows you to control which Ideas can take root. This was easy to do in the 16th and 17th centuries, since few were privileged enough to control printing presses.

But in other lands, Copyright had no presence. The freedom to express and share Ideas was absolute: unrestricted access to literature permits an unrestricted explosion of new Ideas and the development of new technologies and works. And, unsurprisingly, when there is fierce competition to sell a highly demanded product, prices fall, and when prices fall, the spread grows. And so grows the expression of Ideas. Without Copyright, Culture is unbounded.

In the presence of Copyright, our natural desire to share Ideas is impugned. And worse, the foundation of our Culture - the early Ideas that formed it - is held captive by the very Laws that seek to ensure its dissemination. Locked away in the archives of the Big Studios are thousands of films and recordings - expressions of Ideas that formed our Culture - are rotting, slowly wasting away to dust as a few Archivists struggle to preserve them. Copyright has made it impossible to preserve our own Culture, while once-successful Ideas turn to dust.

Meanwhile, those who want to celebrate our Culture are punished and treated like criminals. Those who want to express themselves get sued into poverty.

It's sad, to me, that musicians pin their hopes and dreams on a recording business that cheats them out of their own earnings. It's sad, to me, that movie directors who want to encourage remixes of their movies are undercut by their own studios and production companies, who work to silence the very people who are celebrating them. It's sad, to me, that the companies that are charged with enforcing music Copyright are little more than an extortion ring, crushing small businesses and forcing many of them to go out of business simply for wanting to play music for their customers. It's sad, to me, that a small company can call into question the real ownership of an entire category of works by claiming ownership of a Copyright they didn't even have.

The real crime here is not piracy.

The real crime is Copyright.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
murkurie said:
I don't think companies lose money from piracy, if some on pirates it, they uaslly never intended to buy it, thus no sale lost, or gained
not true, it's like this.
Why buy it when you can get it free?
some of us usually just pirate stuff because it's free and well we have a very low budget but when you really like a game (like i'm a fan of the final fantasy series) if i can't get my hand on a pirate of it i will buy it. There's a lot of people who have the money to buy the games (may not be as much as they pirate but they still buy 1) and that adds to a sale count. If pirated games suddenly came to a halt, what would you do?
Yes it does affect companies big time, that's 1 of the reasons many game developers are going multi-platform now.
Pirated games shouldn't be taken lightly and you should appreciate it more and help support game developers and buy a game.
smile.gif

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Forgot the rest of my post.

Nintendo itself says piracy is not behind poor sales.
http://gbatemp.net/t259065-nintendo-piracy...hind-poor-sales

sinharvest24 said:
murkurie said:
if some on pirates it, they uaslly never intended to buy it, thus no sale lost, or gainednot true, it's like this. Actually it IS true.
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2004/07/4008.arsQUOTE
John Gantz, director of research for IDC, which conducted the study for the Business Software Alliance, said that perhaps one of 10 unauthorized copies might be a lost sale.
[...]
Instead of describing the $29 billion number as sales lost to piracy, he said, "I would have preferred to call it the retail value of pirated software." But, Mr. Gantz said, when the trade group released the study, it termed the $29 billion as losses.

And the commonly-cited figures for job/revenue loss for piracy have been found to be completely bogus and nobody knows where they even came from.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...s-are-bogus.ars

DeadLocked

Bi-Winning.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I pirate games that either:
a.) I plan to buy in the future but I dont want to waste £50 to find out it's a pile of steamy dogshit
b.) I have no intention of buying, company doesn't lose anything whatsoever.

in fact I even pirated half life 2, played it and realised it was good and bought it which I wouldn't have if I didn't play it first = Profit.

QUOTE said:
If pirated games suddenly came to a halt, what would you do?
I will just run out of games. Still wouldn't buy more games than I do now.
It's all down to your own ideals.

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
DeadLocked said:
I pirate games that either:
a.) I plan to buy in the future but I dont want to waste £50 to find out it's a pile of steamy dogshit
b.) I have no intention of buying, company doesn't lose anything whatsoever.

in fact I even pirated half life 2, played it and realised it was good and bought it which I wouldn't have if I didn't play it first = Profit.

QUOTE said:
If pirated games suddenly came to a halt, what would you do?
I will just run out of games. Still wouldn't buy more games than I do now.
It's all down to your own ideals.
true. but if pirated games came to a halt i would be less of a bum an get a job to buy games. hahaha....oh, wait...that's not funny
ohnoes.png

SinHarvest24

Shiroyasha
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Chad
Rydian said:
Forgot the rest of my post.

Nintendo itself says piracy is not behind poor sales.
http://gbatemp.net/t259065-nintendo-piracy...hind-poor-sales

sinharvest24 said:
murkurie said:
if some on pirates it, they uaslly never intended to buy it, thus no sale lost, or gainednot true, it's like this. Actually it IS true.
http://arstechnica.com/old/content/2004/07/4008.arsQUOTE
John Gantz, director of research for IDC, which conducted the study for the Business Software Alliance, said that perhaps one of 10 unauthorized copies might be a lost sale.
[...]
Instead of describing the $29 billion number as sales lost to piracy, he said, "I would have preferred to call it the retail value of pirated software." But, Mr. Gantz said, when the trade group released the study, it termed the $29 billion as losses.

And the commonly-cited figures for job/revenue loss for piracy have been found to be completely bogus and nobody knows where they even came from.
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...s-are-bogus.ars

Well that's just nintendo. It seems that piracy is not as major as i expected but still is a problem for some.

exangel

executioner angel
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm a very selective pirate.

As far as game-related piracy, I like to collect games so that I have my own personal archives. A lot of the games are games that I own, or owned but misplaced or had to resell in order to have food on the table when I was younger. I do happen to have a large number of pirated games that I never paid for, but damn near all of them I would never have bought if they couldn't have been pirated.
If I couldn't have pirated many of the PS One, Dreamcast, or Gameboy/GBA/DS games that I have in my collection, I would not have replaced my PS One console, bought a Dreamcast, or purchased multiple Gameboy/GBA/DS consoles, much less any of the games for those consoles, games I legally own(ed).
Assuming I suddenly had none of my pirated console games and couldn't obtain any more of them; Assuming I could not use homebrew or unauthorized cheat devices, I'd buy a lot less, not a lot more console gaming products. I would also resell many of the things I do own legally.
I'm already way behind with TV-based consoles because of genuinely not being interested in the games enough.
I also used to make a living dealing in used games on eBay, and it's a big pain in the freaking ass to organize large physical game collections, especially when many or most of them don't have the original packaging. And like with packaging from cartridge games until the DS came out, keeping track of those GBA boxes sucked! They were damaged easily if reused for storage.

With software (including PC game) related piracy, I don't do it so much. But, that is more because of what EA and Blizzard offer me in having licensed software: patches/updates, support, no charge for bandwidth consumed by having to re-download the software. Those are things that I expect of non-entertainment software: Antivirus software, utilities that I like and wish to contribute to further development of, some productivity software. Even Windows, except for the re-downloading part. I only own two pirated PC games that I like and won't pay for, and that is because both of them are 10+ years old and I can't pay for them if I wanted to, they aren't supported, and it takes special measures to even get them working in Windows 7.

With music/film piracy, I hardly do that too, because I'm a cranky old hag, and I only listen to the music produced by my favorite bands that I've been listening to for the last 15 years, or stuff people send me on Youtube. I usually actually buy the CD's when the bands I like release them. As far as film goes, if it doesn't come out on Netflix and I get serial-nagged to watch it, I'll pirate it, but I usually go for documentaries or TV Series, and Netflix has a hell of a lot of those legally.
With anime, I have a membership to a website that hosts many entire series (or ongoing series) with fan subs and charges fees to cover server costs, with the option to buy additional chunks of bandwidth for one-time fees. I don't know what their copyright stance is, but it's a great community and I'm happy to contribute to it, even if they're not legally hosting the videos.

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Great, the topic that never ceases to derail itself and evolve into full-blown flame wars. By the end of the week, you'll have trolling, quoting and linking stuff back and forth until you research gets buried. By the way, is this research personal or for school, or are you perhaps a spy?

PS

1. Personally, coz the person who bought my DSi advised me to do so. Back in the GBA days, I bought as many games as my parents' meager incomes could buy.

2. Nintendo did say it doesn't really affect them all that much, but then again, Nintendo almost never gets fazed by anything.

3. Prevent piracy? The same things we do to prevent drug use, teen pregnancies, abortion, hate-induced crimes, etc. We argue, set laws that no one actually enforces and then sit on our thumbs lamenting that the world is turning into hell. Cool planet we got here. No wonder nerds wanna set off to Tatooine or some planet in a galaxy far, far away.

Sterling

GBAtemp's Silver Hero
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I pirate because I do like to test the games before I buy them. Of course, this only happens on the DS because of how convenient and cheap it is to do so. Most games I like however, I do not buy. If something really catches my eye, or I have a good feeling of an upcoming game it is as good as bought. I had a few talks with a co-worker who disliked the "Big Corporations" of America. He argued that stealing physical items from a store is not as bad as stealing intellectual property such as games, or music. Because as an idea in your head, you want to share it. Things like the games and music of our age now, are being taken for granted more and more. Physical things that make our lives better are constantly being improved and outdated, but an idea or thought is always timeless and original, so therefore irreplacable.

Fudge

Remember that death is not the end, but only a tra
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
1. It's free and easy.

2. Not really.

3. Nothing
laugh.gif

Oh yeah, I messed up my poll vote. I meant to say Yes for "Are companies as of today elevating their Anti-Piracy tactics?". I put No.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: yawn