Hardware If I was able to create something...

Trylk248

Honest helper and custom content creator.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hello everyone this is Seb once again!

Today, I finally took my idea out my mind and started blueprinting it. So to make short...

It's a Wii U DRC (GamePad) and ProController (2x) Charging dock!

Yep, a dock. ~_<

Photo plzzz!!!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B30rOAl5rZEbMFhYTUpBejc5d1E/view?usp=drivesdk

So this dock uses the contact points at the bottom of the Wii U Gamepad to charge it. Also, note that I put in a fan. Why? It'd come with a more powerful AC cable that you will split with a separate part into two wires.

Why so much juice???
Hold on! Not all the juice is for the Wii U... We have to be able to charge 2 Wii U Pro Controllers and on Wii U Gamepad. Alot of juice input causes heat, that's why there is a fan. Also, the placement of the fan will be changed and I will add 2 more fans (mini ones).

Alright, I bet you saw a green spot with a Red, Yellow and Green stripes next to it? Yup that's a LED that will show you when your Gamepad is ready (even tho the orange light on the gamepad does already this job). The same will be for the ProControllers.

What's the idea? I look at it, is the Gamepad going to be safe there?
Yes, that's a very important point here : safelocking the charge position. That means it will use the two littles inners under the Gamepad in order to sit there and not slip away.

How do I slide my Gamepad there? Any tricky way to do it?

Nah... Just like the Nintendo Switch, you put the gamepad on the arm, slide it down. The contact chargers should automatically start charging.

Alright, that's it for today. I will talk more about the Pro Controllers part in the next post! Make sure to follow/subscribe to this thread/topic of you are interested!

See ya in the next post! Ciao! :)

Reactions: iAqua

Biduleman

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Just so you know, the gamepad power supply is 4.75v at 1.6 amp and both pro controller will take 5v (4.75 should work too if you don't want a bunch of different voltages) at 1amp. so let's say 4 amps to be safe.

You can totally go passive cooling for 5v 4 amps. You could even use a generic power brick made to light up led strips, plug that in your dock and only route power where needed. That way you're not dealing with heat at all.

Reactions: Trylk248

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
Hello everyone this is Seb once again!

Today, I finally took my idea out my mind and started blueprinting it. So to make short...

It's a Wii U DRC (GamePad) and ProController (2x) Charging dock!

Yep, a dock. ~_<

Photo plzzz!!!
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B30rOAl5rZEbMFhYTUpBejc5d1E/view?usp=drivesdk

So this dock uses the contact points at the bottom of the Wii U Gamepad to charge it. Also, note that I put in a fan. Why? It'd come with a more powerful AC cable that you will split with a separate part into two wires.

Why so much juice???
Hold on! Not all the juice is for the Wii U... We have to be able to charge 2 Wii U Pro Controllers and on Wii U Gamepad. Alot of juice input causes heat, that's why there is a fan. Also, the placement of the fan will be changed and I will add 2 more fans (mini ones).

Alright, I bet you saw a green spot with a Red, Yellow and Green stripes next to it? Yup that's a LED that will show you when your Gamepad is ready (even tho the orange light on the gamepad does already this job). The same will be for the ProControllers.

What's the idea? I look at it, is the Gamepad going to be safe there?
Yes, that's a very important point here : safelocking the charge position. That means it will use the two littles inners under the Gamepad in order to sit there and not slip away.

How do I slide my Gamepad there? Any tricky way to do it?

Nah... Just like the Nintendo Switch, you put the gamepad on the arm, slide it down. The contact chargers should automatically start charging.

Alright, that's it for today. I will talk more about the Pro Controllers part in the next post! Make sure to follow/subscribe to this thread/topic of you are interested!

See ya in the next post! Ciao! :)
You don't really need a fan to cool down the controllers, they don't even get warm while charging.
The only part that might get warm is the AC adapter, but it should never get so warm that it needs active cooling, as it's designed to get warm. It will already be passively cooled with a heatsink if necessary.
Anyway, it says "Wii U AC" in the picture. Is that the gamepad AC adapter or the Wii U's own AC adapter? If the latter then that might be a bad idea. Even if the Wii U AC adapter can provide enough juice, not everyone has their gamepad stand next to the Wii U and not everyone even has room for that. That's assuming you are planning on selling these to people, if it's only for your own use then I guess it's up to you.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: damn