Homebrew I need more than 300 spaces on my home screen...

BadBrent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've long been aware that the 3DS can only support up to 300 icons on the home screen before it starts to erase the icons from the menu even though they still remain installed, and I have a numerous amount of 3DS CIAs installed to the internal micro SD card of my N3DS XL. That being said though, I also want to be able to play my legitimate GBA collection and I only have a cheap Chinese clone flash cartridge for playing DS ROMs (I think it also supports NTRBoot but you have to flash it first and then convert it back to a regular DS flash cartridge before it can be used again.

I've RTFM'd so much over the last day that I don't really know where to start, but from what I understand it seems like you can store your GBA games either on the internal SD card or on the flashcard's SD card and TWiLight Menu++ can gain access to the storage and allow you to boot GBA ROMs using this method. If I could store my GBA games on my flashcart as well that would be great, but because I'm using a weird obscure flashcart that's a clone the instructions don't make very much sense to me and I can't the flashcard setup to communicate properly with TM++ so that I can not only browse GBA game but also launch and save them. I had hopes RetroArch would better suited for even just straight GBA emulation but RA feels like nothing but bloat on the N3DS XL and I'm sure it's far better to play a game in "native" mode rather than use an emulator for GBA games. That's why I figured that just using the VC Injector for all of my GBA games would be the best route and I have over a hundred legal ROMs that I own and ripped myself that I don't want to have to inject and then install with FBI because that will put me at the top and over the 300 icon limit of the home screen. I do like the idea of also being able to use injection for the other consoles like Genesis and TG16 but this frigging 300 icon ceiling is forcing me to try to find workarounds to play my ROM collections (as mentioned before, all legal) on my 3DS.

If anybody has any suggestions for getting around this limit or helping me out with DS emulator apps that can play the older titles but allow me to just fire up GBA games directly, I'd be very grateful for your help. Also, I'm sure someone is going to ask "why do you want more than 300 games on your 3DS?" and the answer to that is because I can and I want my console to be a device that is essentially a Nintendo-brand jukebox of games that will allow me to play any of my games I own without having to pull cartridges and such out of their original boxes and wear them in even more than they probably already are. Thanks, and cheers.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've long been aware that the 3DS can only support up to 300 icons on the home screen before it starts to erase the icons from the menu even though they still remain installed, and I have a numerous amount of 3DS CIAs installed to the internal micro SD card of my N3DS XL. That being said though, I also want to be able to play my legitimate GBA collection and I only have a cheap Chinese clone flash cartridge for playing DS ROMs (I think it also supports NTRBoot but you have to flash it first and then convert it back to a regular DS flash cartridge before it can be used again.

I've RTFM'd so much over the last day that I don't really know where to start, but from what I understand it seems like you can store your GBA games either on the internal SD card or on the flashcard's SD card and TWiLight Menu++ can gain access to the storage and allow you to boot GBA ROMs using this method. If I could store my GBA games on my flashcart as well that would be great, but because I'm using a weird obscure flashcart that's a clone the instructions don't make very much sense to me and I can't the flashcard setup to communicate properly with TM++ so that I can not only browse GBA game but also launch and save them. I had hopes RetroArch would better suited for even just straight GBA emulation but RA feels like nothing but bloat on the N3DS XL and I'm sure it's far better to play a game in "native" mode rather than use an emulator for GBA games. That's why I figured that just using the VC Injector for all of my GBA games would be the best route and I have over a hundred legal ROMs that I own and ripped myself that I don't want to have to inject and then install with FBI because that will put me at the top and over the 300 icon limit of the home screen. I do like the idea of also being able to use injection for the other consoles like Genesis and TG16 but this frigging 300 icon ceiling is forcing me to try to find workarounds to play my ROM collections (as mentioned before, all legal) on my 3DS.

If anybody has any suggestions for getting around this limit or helping me out with DS emulator apps that can play the older titles but allow me to just fire up GBA games directly, I'd be very grateful for your help. Also, I'm sure someone is going to ask "why do you want more than 300 games on your 3DS?" and the answer to that is because I can and I want my console to be a device that is essentially a Nintendo-brand jukebox of games that will allow me to play any of my games I own without having to pull cartridges and such out of their original boxes and wear them in even more than they probably already are. Thanks, and cheers.
https://github.com/RocketRobz/3DSBank

BadBrent

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SWEET! Thank you both for showing me this one...I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this app before especially since RocketRobz is the dev but that's a very nifty way of circumventing the 300 icon limit on 3DS consoles. Cheers guys.

Reactions: RocketRobz

BETA215

Member not found
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
SWEET! Thank you both for showing me this one...I'm surprised I hadn't heard about this app before especially since RocketRobz is the dev but that's a very nifty way of circumventing the 300 icon limit on 3DS consoles. Cheers guys.
Hey, also, if you want to run natively GBA games without ever having to create separate CIAs for each one, it's easier to just use open_agb_firm. There's a thread about it in this forum, it'll run your .gba files perfectly.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/open_agb_firm-discussion-thread.570844/

Last edited by BETA215,
Reactions: Computer_Freak_2004

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_NTF5_qgH0o