Emulation Retro consoles enulation on og 3ds/2ds vs ds lite

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi guys, i was wonder which system is better for playing older games?

I am mostly interested in display scaling, and which console could show pixel perfect scaling without blurring the image.

I tried virtual console from hshop, nes looked good, Gameboy games were alright, but gba games were unplayable for me, very blurry to the point i would prefer choppy performance from gbarunner2 on ds lite, than use 3ds for gba games.

I have had these consoles for quite some time, unfortunately i rarely played them because i don't have much time, and it's funny that i am now more interested in using them to emulate older consoles, than actually playing their main library which i never played before.

I would appreciate any leads about this topic because most of my research was about gba games, and it was timw consuming reading dozens of pages, opinions on reddit and other forums🙏. My brain is fried.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240229-101325.jpg
    Screenshot_20240229-101325.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240229-101331.jpg
    Screenshot_20240229-101331.jpg
    458 KB · Views: 15
  • Screenshot_20240229-101334.jpg
    Screenshot_20240229-101334.jpg
    338.4 KB · Views: 15

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You guys didn't understand me, but i got it figured out. It's not worth it to play emulators in og 3ds if i am looking for non blurry upscaled games, have save states, and cheats. At the very least a non blurry image without being forced to play using a tiny portion of the screen.

Og ds lite is superior when it comes to Gameboy and Gameboy color games. Native resolution taking most of the display.
For GBA, NES,Snes and Genesis i gave up entirely, it's not worth it at all.

I will try to get my hands on a psp.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Last edited by duwen,

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
3ds resolution is higher than ds. Do you know how ds games look bad and blurry on 3ds? That's what i am trying t avoid using emulators.

Thank you for the suggestion, i already had a look at these filters, they didn't appeal to me as they result in a distorted image quality.

Reactions: Coderman64

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
You guys didn't understand me, but i got it figured out. It's not worth it to play emulators in og 3ds if i am looking for non blurry upscaled games, have save states, and cheats. At the very least a non blurry image without being forced to play using a tiny portion of the screen.

Og ds lite is superior when it comes to Gameboy and Gameboy color games. Native resolution taking most of the display.
For GBA, NES,Snes and Genesis i gave up entirely, it's not worth it at all.

I will try to get my hands on a psp.
I don’t see how we didn’t understand you. Perhaps you didn’t explain yourself clearly enough because our answers do address the question you posed.

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
This is a forum to share experiences and to help each other, you both clearly skimmed through my lines amd came up with your own conclusions of what my questions are.... Because if that's not the case, i recommend that you both start working on improving your comprehension abilities asap, i am afraid they're lacking and could hold you back in life or put you in embarrassing situations where hiding behind a screen isn't a choice and end up getting laughed at for being silly and immature.
Post automatically merged:

So then, why you asked in the first place?
Play the games where you want
That's not how you reply to someone on a forum. I clearly didn't offend anyone. This type of attitude demonstrates that you have mental health issues. I didn't take it seriously because i know that you're feeling bad yourself and trying to find someone hoping you could bring them down with this immature behavior of yours.

Maximumbeans

3DS is love, 3DS is life
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
This is a forum to share experiences and to help each other, you both clearly skimmed through my lines amd came up with your own conclusions of what my questions are.... Because if that's not the case, i recommend that you both start working on improving your comprehension abilities asap, i am afraid they're lacking and could hold you back in life or put you in embarrassing situations where hiding behind a screen isn't a choice and end up getting laughed at for being silly and immature.
You're right, this is indeed a forum to help each other, so it's strange you've taken such a hostile attitude to the people that stopped by to respond to your query.

You asked which console was best for emulating retro games: a 3DS/3DS or a DS lite. You were given the answer, but decided against it anyway, seemingly because you don't understand the breadth of options available to you when using a 3DS. At the end of the day it's your choice, you can do whatever, but getting this upset and hostile about it is just kind of sad and funny.

Follow your heart kiddo, I believe in you.

Reactions: nWo and duwen

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dude. Please.
You clearly don't understand the FREE help and advice that's being given by well meaning strangers on the internet in an effort to help you.
Read what you asked. My replies directly correspond with what you were asking.
The 3ds is equal or better than the DS in terms of emulation in every regard. You run TWiLightMenu in DS mode, the resolution is EXACTLY the same as the DS because it's running in DS mode. Want to tweak the scaling? Use Sono's scaling tool.

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
My question wasn't general, i wrote some requirements of mine which you didn't take in consideration when answering. Also, what hostility are you talking about?

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Dude. Please.
You clearly don't understand the FREE help and advice that's being given by well meaning strangers on the internet in an effort to help you.
Read what you asked. My replies directly correspond with what you were asking.
The 3ds is equal or better than the DS in terms of emulation in every regard. You run TWiLightMenu in DS mode, the resolution is EXACTLY the same as the DS because it's running in DS mode. Want to tweak the scaling? Use Sono's scaling tool.
I wasn't talking about you, my reply is mainly towards the @Dakangel and the @Maximumbeans who approved his immature reply. Did you read what je wrote?

• Love
Reactions: Maximumbeans

darkworldq8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
I would advice you to get one of those cheap Android or Linux retro handhelds. Even the ones that cost less than $50 will emulate almost all systems better than a DS, a 3DS, and a PSP. There are also many choices with multiple form factors and different screen sizes that cost less than $100, and most of those can play all PS1 and GBA games, and some can play some N64 and Dreamcast games. Many of those system have a screen resolution of 480p (double the 3DS) and 720p.

You can run those games using an integer scale and would look great, but you might get small black borders on the top and/or sides of the screen. Some can potentially user better filtering than the bilinear filter for GBA games, bilinear filter is the one that makes the pixels look blurry. Retro Game Corps on YouTube made a good comparison of emulation handhelds that are less than $100. I plan on buying one for GBA and GB/GBC emulation, but I have not yet decided on which one to get.

For playing GBA games. You could get a cheaper GBA flashcart and play GBA games natively on the DS Lite with a much better performance than the GBARunner2. You can also play GBA games on the 3DS at their native resolution by holding select or start before booting the game and it will look sharper, but the screen size would be much smaller, and probably unplayable on a non-XL 3DS.

Reactions: RetrogamingAddict

RetrogamingAddict

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I would advice you to get one of those cheap Android or Linux retro handhelds. Even the ones that cost less than $50 will emulate almost all systems better than a DS, a 3DS, and a PSP. There are also many choices with multiple form factors and different screen sizes that cost less than $100, and most of those can play all PS1 and GBA games, and some can play some N64 and Dreamcast games. Many of those system have a screen resolution of 480p (double the 3DS) and 720p.

You can run those games using an integer scale and would look great, but you might get small black borders on the top and/or sides of the screen. Some can potentially user better filtering than the bilinear filter for GBA games, bilinear filter is the one that makes the pixels look blurry. Retro Game Corps on YouTube made a good comparison of emulation handhelds that are less than $100. I plan on buying one for GBA and GB/GBC emulation, but I have not yet decided on which one to get.

For playing GBA games. You could get a cheaper GBA flashcart and play GBA games natively on the DS Lite with a much better performance than the GBARunner2. You can also play GBA games on the 3DS at their native resolution by holding select or start before booting the game and it will look sharper, but the screen size would be much smaller, and probably unplayable on a non-XL 3DS.
The problem with these is the high resolution displays, for my picky eyes they don't look natural and games look no different than if they were played on a pc lcd monitor. I prefer the ds because it could play gba games pixel perfect.
I settled down with a dsi xl for gb/gbc/gba games, it's the best way to play these games today. The dsi xl has amazing display. GBA runner2 on dsi xl is very good and could play most important games.
Dsi xl can also play master system games pixel perfect, and game gear on a smaller window than gb games. For me i will only use it for gb/gbc/gba/nds games.

For snes/genesis, the 3ds can play these pixel perfect. But these games were never meant to be played on lcd, it's doesn't feel right. For these 16bit consoles, the ultimate cheapest way for me is using a Nintendo Wii with snes mini controller. And the nost important thing is using a crt tv with component input. I have never been this happy before. Before getting a wii, i used to emulate games on pc RetroArch, using crtemudriver and a pc crt monitor, to display 240p@120hz . But the 31khz pc crt monitors have very thick scanlines which didn't appeal to me at all. I prefer the look of 15khz consumer tvs.

x149te

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Russia
Gladly I have New 3DS XL. I can hold Select button and load DS games in original resolution without blur. Same goes with flash cards.

darkworldq8

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Kuwait
The problem with these is the high resolution displays, for my picky eyes they don't look natural and games look no different than if they were played on a pc lcd monitor. I prefer the ds because it could play gba games pixel perfect.
I settled down with a dsi xl for gb/gbc/gba games, it's the best way to play these games today. The dsi xl has amazing display. GBA runner2 on dsi xl is very good and could play most important games.
Dsi xl can also play master system games pixel perfect, and game gear on a smaller window than gb games. For me i will only use it for gb/gbc/gba/nds games.

For snes/genesis, the 3ds can play these pixel perfect. But these games were never meant to be played on lcd, it's doesn't feel right. For these 16bit consoles, the ultimate cheapest way for me is using a Nintendo Wii with snes mini controller. And the nost important thing is using a crt tv with component input. I have never been this happy before. Before getting a wii, i used to emulate games on pc RetroArch, using crtemudriver and a pc crt monitor, to display 240p@120hz . But the 31khz pc crt monitors have very thick scanlines which didn't appeal to me at all. I prefer the look of 15khz consumer tvs.

Fair enough. You are definitely more picky than me, and that isn't wrong. A modded Wii is awesome and I did use it to play a bit of retro games, but I haven't used it especially since I modded my Wii U. Wiis are extremely cheap to get, especially if you get one that doesn't read optical discs.

I prefer to play on a PC especially since the pixels would look better on my modern TV along with many options of great image filtering and different resolutions. There are also scanline and CRT filters on emulators that I don't like, but many people enjoy using them. I can't really bother with getting a working CRT and having the space for it, but, it is something that I did think of doing.

Fully integer scaling is not distinguishable from the native resolution. An example would be upscaling from 240p to 480p would look great, but upscaling from 240p. I wish that I knew of this in the past, but apparently I just learned it this year.

This video briefly shows an example of integer scaling vs bilinear filtering, the great and simple example starts from 1:55 and ends around 3:20:

Reactions: RetrogamingAddict

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    S @ salazarcosplay: @BakerMan can one play cod from hen ps3?