Humble Monthly is evolving into Humble Choice, comes with a major price increase and varying tiers

It's been exactly four years since Humble Bundle introduced its Humble Monthly Bundle. For $12 a month, one could automatically subscribe, or pick specific months to receive each Humble Bundle as it went live every four weeks, offering players keys for a variety of different games, ranging from unknown indies, to major AAA releases. At the start of each given month, a handful of titles from the bundle would be revealed, leaving the rest shrouded in mystery, until one actually purchased the bundle and it unlocked midway through the month. Now, things are beginning to change, as Humble has announced that Humble Monthly is about to undergo a major revision, changing into a new service called Humble Choice.

Subscribers to Humble Choice will be able to choose from multiple tiers, such as Lite, which costs $4.99 a month ($44.99/yr), and gives you simple access to the Humble Trove, Basic, which is $14.99 ($134.99/yr) and offers 3 games a month, along with access to the Humble Trove, and a 10% discount to the Humble Store. Lastly, there's the Premium tier, which costs a whopping $19.99 a month ($179.99/yr), which gives you a choice of 9 different games on a monthly basis.

For those that are still subscribed to Humble Monthly, you'll be able to keep your current $12/mo price, and you'll be transferred into the "classic" tier, which offers 10 games a month, more than any other active tier. However, the moment you cancel your subscription, you'll lose your classic status, and will be forced into choosing one of the new three tiers if you ever wish to resubscribe.

What are the benefits of a Classic plan?

Through the Classic plan, you will retain the best deal of all moving forward with Humble Choice. This includes the following:

• $12 a month price point from Humble Monthly (or your current multi-month pricing).
  • 10 curated games to keep every month (compared to 9 from the Premium plan).
  • Full access to the Humble Trove.
  • Up to a 20% Humble Store discount.
  • Unlimited access to published Humble Originals and betas.
How do I regain access to the Classic plan once it is lost?

Unfortunately, there is no going back to a Classic plan once Humble Choice has launched. If you choose to unsubscribe you will receive a prompt informing you that your Classic plan will not be available going forward if you decide to resubscribe. You will lose your Classic status, and upon resubscribing will have to choose between the Lite, Basic, and Premium plans.

The new Humble Choice will give users a set of 10 games each month, with basic and premium tiers being allowed to keep 3 or 9 of any titles from the lineup, respectively. According to Humble itself, during a livestream where the company detailed some of the new changes, monthly game selections will still range from assorted indies and AAA titles. Humble Choice will go into effect before the end of this year, meaning there's only a short amount of time left, if you wish to secure the classic monthly plan, or want to cancel your subscription entirely.

:arrow: Source: Humble Choice FAQ

AshuraZro

Belongs in a museum.
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I've been subscribed for a long time and it's been hit or miss based on tastes more than anything. However, whether you get into it or not, it is absolutely worth getting a month this month for Crash and Spyro Remasters dirt cheap (if you're into them and don't have copies elsewhere).

Lodad

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If this opens up avenues for newer and bigger-name games more often, I think that's good. It would be better if they had a tier cheaper than a $15 baseline for game bundles, though.

Reactions: Voyambar
D

Deleted User

Its a downgrade overall. Pay more ($15 to $20) for less (3 to 9 games). I might have been interested in the basic tier was $5 - $10. I'm probably only ever interested in 3 of the games anyway.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
For those that are still subscribed to Humble Monthly, you'll be able to keep your current $12/mo price, and you'll be transferred into the "classic" tier, which offers 10 games a month, more than any other active tier. However, the moment you cancel your subscription, you'll lose your classic status, and will be forced into choosing one of the new three tiers if you ever wish to resubscribe.
As someone who just bought in a little under a month ago for the Spyro remastered trilogy, this seems like a good deal for the time being. As long as there are at least a few games that appeal to me each month, anyway. If it ends up being only years old stuff I already own, I won't be keeping it for long.

Reactions: 2Hack

EmulateLife

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why not let people choose Classic as one of the options instead of it being a legacy thing you can lose?

Obviously because they don't really want people on it, but are trying not to look like bad guys by taking it away for those that already have it.

relauby

Idiot Child
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Humble Choice Classic Plan FAQ said:
Through the Classic plan, you will retain the best deal of all moving forward with Humble Choice.

I'm surprised they're being so upfront about Humble Choice being worse than Humble Monthly. How weird is it to roll out a new service while explicitly stating that the old one was a better deal?

LightyKD

Future CEO of OUYA Inc.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah... I'm good. I hate what the Epic store represents but their free games have been pretty legit lately. I think I'll stick to the Epic freebies over Humble. It's not like the Humble monthly is a bad idea but unless I can make a wishlist and the monthly titles are based on my wishlist, I dont see much in paying for a bunch of games I might hate vs using that money on a game I would really like.

Dimensional

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is going to boost the sales of their Monthly massively. A lot of people are going to purchase a Monthly subscription just to ensure they get all the classic, and apparently for IGN least profitable, option. After all, they can't just let everyone continue to pay so little for some good, some bad. Instead, they need people to pay more for... less than the same thing. Not that it doesn't mean there won't be any better games on the new service, but still if they are going to do this, they need to give us some assurances, since the gaming industry is falling apart thanks to horrible decisions from AAA developers/distributors like EA, Zenimax, Activision....

gamecaptor

R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've been subscribed for a long time and it's been hit or miss based on tastes more than anything. However, whether you get into it or not, it is absolutely worth getting a month this month for Crash and Spyro Remasters dirt cheap (if you're into them and don't have copies elsewhere).

I signed up this month just for those two games :) I'll keep it around for a few months to check it out.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-