Humble Monthly is evolving into Humble Choice, comes with a major price increase and varying tiers

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 28, 2019.

Front-page

It's been exactly four years since Humble Bundle introduced its Humble Monthly Bundle. For $12 a month, one could automatically subscribe, or pick specific months to receive each Humble Bundle as it went live every four weeks, offering players keys for a variety of different games, ranging from unknown indies, to major AAA releases. At the start of each given month, a handful of titles from the bundle would be revealed, leaving the rest shrouded in mystery, until one actually purchased the bundle and it unlocked midway through the month. Now, things are beginning to change, as Humble has announced that Humble Monthly is about to undergo a major revision, changing into a new service called Humble Choice.

Subscribers to Humble Choice will be able to choose from multiple tiers, such as Lite, which costs $4.99 a month ($44.99/yr), and gives you simple access to the Humble Trove, Basic, which is $14.99 ($134.99/yr) and offers 3 games a month, along with access to the Humble Trove, and a 10% discount to the Humble Store. Lastly, there's the Premium tier, which costs a whopping $19.99 a month ($179.99/yr), which gives you a choice of 9 different games on a monthly basis.

For those that are still subscribed to Humble Monthly, you'll be able to keep your current $12/mo price, and you'll be transferred into the "classic" tier, which offers 10 games a month, more than any other active tier. However, the moment you cancel your subscription, you'll lose your classic status, and will be forced into choosing one of the new three tiers if you ever wish to resubscribe.

The new Humble Choice will give users a set of 10 games each month, with basic and premium tiers being allowed to keep 3 or 9 of any titles from the lineup, respectively. According to Humble itself, during a livestream where the company detailed some of the new changes, monthly game selections will still range from assorted indies and AAA titles. Humble Choice will go into effect before the end of this year, meaning there's only a short amount of time left, if you wish to secure the classic monthly plan, or want to cancel your subscription entirely.

:arrow: Source: Humble Choice FAQ

JavaScribe and hippy dave like this.
    Discussion (43 replies)
  1. Essasetic

Essasetic Your Local TX Fanboy Rebirth

Jun 16, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I don't really know how to feel about this.

2. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

GBAtemp Patron
    the_randomizer is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    I never really got into this, but now I'm not sure

3. AshuraZro

AshuraZro Belongs in a museum.

Feb 21, 2004
    Canada
    Saskatchewan
    I've been subscribed for a long time and it's been hit or miss based on tastes more than anything. However, whether you get into it or not, it is absolutely worth getting a month this month for Crash and Spyro Remasters dirt cheap (if you're into them and don't have copies elsewhere).

4. Lodad

Lodad Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2017
    United States
    If this opens up avenues for newer and bigger-name games more often, I think that's good. It would be better if they had a tier cheaper than a $15 baseline for game bundles, though.

Voyambar likes this.
  5. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Because only good things happen when you get bought by IGN.

6. raphamotta

raphamotta GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 12, 2013
    Waiting for another Nintendo Humble Bundle...

2Hack likes this.
  7. LiveLatios

LiveLatios Profesionnal Scalie

Nov 16, 2015
    Canada
    why
    those tend to all be US only, so it'd give them pretty much no profit

Fabian Schuchhardt likes this.
  8. supersaiyandoyle

supersaiyandoyle Member

Newcomer
    Oct 7, 2010
    United States
    Why not let people choose Classic as one of the options instead of it being a legacy thing you can lose?

Voyambar and Ammako like this.
  9. WiiU

WiiU Lurking in the Shadows

May 7, 2014
    Between worlds of Hyrule & Lorule
    Its a downgrade overall. Pay more ($15 to $20) for less (3 to 9 games). I might have been interested in the basic tier was $5 - $10. I'm probably only ever interested in 3 of the games anyway.

tiliarou likes this.
  10. Xzi

Xzi All your base are belong to the proletariat

pip Contributor
    Dec 26, 2013
    United States
    Spiraling Out
    As someone who just bought in a little under a month ago for the Spyro remastered trilogy, this seems like a good deal for the time being. As long as there are at least a few games that appeal to me each month, anyway. If it ends up being only years old stuff I already own, I won't be keeping it for long.

2Hack likes this.
  11. Danker301090

Danker301090 Newbie

Newcomer
    May 8, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Anyone know if the pause a month format option will remain and also don't count as a cancelled subscription?

12. EmulateLife

EmulateLife GBAtemp Psycho!

May 30, 2016
    United States
    Obviously because they don't really want people on it, but are trying not to look like bad guys by taking it away for those that already have it.

lexarvn, tiliarou and WiiU like this.
  13. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    I have too many darn games already. I really can't justify that kind of expense.

14. kb7cxWMSrPwL

kb7cxWMSrPwL Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 3, 2016
    New Zealand
    The lite tier makes no sense, whats the point of a subscription on drm free downloads you can keep forever?

Voyambar likes this.
  15. relauby

relauby Contributor

pip Contributor
    GBAtemp Patron
    relauby is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 21, 2017
    Canada
    Newfoundland
    I'm surprised they're being so upfront about Humble Choice being worse than Humble Monthly. How weird is it to roll out a new service while explicitly stating that the old one was a better deal?

Voyambar, DarthDub, tiliarou and 3 others like this.
  16. LightyKD

LightyKD Future CEO of OUYA Inc.

Jun 25, 2008
    United States
    Angel Grove, CA
    Yeah... I'm good. I hate what the Epic store represents but their free games have been pretty legit lately. I think I'll stick to the Epic freebies over Humble. It's not like the Humble monthly is a bad idea but unless I can make a wishlist and the monthly titles are based on my wishlist, I dont see much in paying for a bunch of games I might hate vs using that money on a game I would really like.

Voyambar and guisadop like this.
  17. Dimensional

Dimensional GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 7, 2008
    United States
    Texas
    This is going to boost the sales of their Monthly massively. A lot of people are going to purchase a Monthly subscription just to ensure they get all the classic, and apparently for IGN least profitable, option. After all, they can't just let everyone continue to pay so little for some good, some bad. Instead, they need people to pay more for... less than the same thing. Not that it doesn't mean there won't be any better games on the new service, but still if they are going to do this, they need to give us some assurances, since the gaming industry is falling apart thanks to horrible decisions from AAA developers/distributors like EA, Zenimax, Activision....

18. gamecaptor

gamecaptor R.I.P. Densetsu. Legends never die!

GBAtemp Patron
    gamecaptor is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jan 22, 2004
    United States
    Hyrule most of the time
    I signed up this month just for those two games :) I'll keep it around for a few months to check it out.

19. Jayro

Jayro MediCat USB and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    That's cool and all, but what happened to GBAtemp's Quarterly raffles? They just sort of... stopped. :unsure: