Humble Monthly is evolving into Humble Choice, comes with a major price increase and varying tiers

Discussion in 'GBAtemp & Scene News' started by Chary, Oct 28, 2019.

1. TerminatR

TerminatR Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 21, 2006
    Canada
    I miss the really old humble days of opting to pay one penny for a bundle of games, and it came with some free sarcastic comments about how cheap you are.

Garcimak likes this.
  2. TehCupcakes

TehCupcakes GBAtemp Fan

Apr 5, 2013
    United States
    I like the idea of what they're going for. The main turn-off for me with the monthly bundle is that you don't know what most of the games are ahead of time, and most of them don't interest me or I already own them. What's left is sometimes worth the $12, but other times not - and as a result, not worth the gamble for me. I bought a couple months (like the current one with Crash Bandicoot + Spyro) simply because the early unlock games were worth the price, regardless of what else was there.

Looking back and seeing how each month there's only 1-3 games I would really care for, picking 3/10 would be pretty much the same deal for me - with the obvious advantage of seeing all 10 games right away. The only problem is... price. The "value" proposition technically has gone down. But I think in a service like this, just like with PS+ and Xbox Games With Gold, it really comes down to the games. If they can consistently bring in good games, there's plenty of people that will find it worthwhile.

It's easy to knock Humble Bundle for the price increase and reducing the number of games you keep in the same blow, but with the option to be grand-fathered in to Classic at the same $12, Humble Bundle is really one of the good guys. They offer PC gamers tremendous bang-for-your-buck, and help out charity along the way.

JavaScribe likes this.
  3. JavaScribe

JavaScribe Confused

Apr 14, 2017
    United States
    here idk
    I was literally just about to start subscribing to Humble Monthly. Like, this week. Good thing it's not too late just yet.

4. Paccc

Paccc Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Jun 17, 2016
    The question would be if they can deliver a higher value with higher prices, it's not like they had more than three games worth paying for any month before...

If they target last years AAA games they are in direct competition with services like Gamepass which also pickup those games and they will also have problems
    with some games going epic exclusive now - maybe this move is to move higher up in the food chain to get releases earlier and also be able to negotiate with epic.