Humble Choice will be restructuring next month to closer resemble Humble Monthly

8a88fa654693019cbe2ea724259402d591fd26e6.jpg

Six years ago, Humble Bundle introduced a subscription service called Humble Monthly, that would provide subscribers with keys for a variety of games every month, for $12 a month. A little over two years ago, Humble Monthly was changed to Humble Choice. This new format offered ten games a month, and subscribers could choose to get keys for a number of them based on what tier they were on. At launch, the Premium tier was $19.99 a month and offered nine of the ten games.

However, starting with February's Humble Choice, it will be reverting back to a model that resembles the original one. There is only one subscription plan, which will be $11.99 a month, and subscribers will receive all the games available for that month. Strangely, there is no mention of changing the service's name from Humble Choice, despite no choice being offered in terms of games or subscription tier. Although, as always, users will always have the choice to skip a month or cancel at any time.

Also debuting in February will be the Humble Games Collection, a curated collection of games from Humble Bundle as a publisher, that users will have access to for the duration of their subscription. The service will launch with Forager, Wizard of Legend, Dodgeball Academia, Unsighted and Void Bastards, and is expected to add more titles as time goes on. Users will be able to access the Humble Games Collection in a new Humble app on Windows. It is unclear whether this will be the only way to access these games, or if the app will be making it to other platforms soon. The Humble Trove, a collection of small, DRM-free indie games, is also being renamed to the Vault, which will also be in the app.

:arrow: Source

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Humble Choice without a choice. What's next? They change the name back to Humble Monthly, but make it so it's not monthly anymore? What are they thinking??
If you were grandfathered in, you already didn't have a choice and paid old price and I guess most subscribers were grandfathered in.

Humble Monthly did have more AAA titles. I remember getting Crash N Sane Trilogy and Spyro Trilogy in the same month. Maybe dealing with less keys will allow them to offer more AAA titles again.

Reactions: brain_tweaker

Deleted member 114266

Trophies
XP
If you were grandfathered in, you already didn't have a choice and paid old price and I guess most subscribers were grandfathered in.

Humble Monthly did have more AAA titles. I remember getting Crash N Sane Trilogy and Spyro Trilogy in the same month. Maybe dealing with less keys will allow them to offer more AAA titles again.

Grandfathered accounts were limited to ten games, and a few months there were 12 offered.

The number of keys won't really change, they will just know the number they will need since everyone will receive all of the games rather than some being popular and some games no one picks unless they are a premium or grandfathered account. With the change you will just get every key.

At least now I'll be able to cancel my subscription outright rather than needing to pause each month to keep the grandfathered status.

Reactions: brain_tweaker

Snintendog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh so they will only give us utter garbage....just you cant refuse the keys and only pick the good games this time.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I like the idea of a curated bundle of indie games every month, but with Humble Bundle it felt more like they were focusing on 1 AAA game per month (which was usually several years old) + a bunch of random indie titles as filler.

I don't know what a successful business model would look like for this, but I would love to see more companies experimenting with services like this that provide exposure and revenue to indie developers. There is a ton of crap out there in the indie world, but there are also a lot of gems that very few people will ever get to play.

Maybe drop the AAA games, drop the price, and focus only on indies? Or be the Game Pass for indies, where you pay a tiny subscription for a large library of indie games?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Humble is still a thing? I stopped paying attention to them after the IGN takeover meant we never really saw DRM free options again.
Well, the Humble Trove is DRM-free. But I would have preferred some sort of client for that, since as it is I download the games while my subscription is active and then completely forget about what I downloaded and where it might be on my hard drive.

At least now I'll be able to cancel my subscription outright rather than needing to pause each month to keep the grandfathered status.
Isn't the grandfathered status still going to be cheaper?

I don't know what a successful business model would look like for this, but I would love to see more companies experimenting with services like this that provide exposure and revenue to indie developers. There is a ton of crap out there in the indie world, but there are also a lot of gems that very few people will ever get to play.

Maybe drop the AAA games, drop the price, and focus only on indies?
There were indeed several attempts to try that model back when Humble Bundle first arrived on the scene. Many crashed and burned – Indie Royale/Desura, Bundle in a Box, and IndieGameStand come to mind. Not sure how IndieGala managed to survive as long as it has. I guess Groupees is still around, but I think they're mostly just games music and comics now.

Or be the Game Pass for indies, where you pay a tiny subscription for a large library of indie games?
Well, that's sort of what the Trove/Vault is.

Last edited by Kwyjor,

Armadillo

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Isn't the grandfathered status still going to be cheaper?

Same price. Classic is $11.99, new price is also $11.99.

In some cases where regional pricing is supported, cancelling classic and subscribing again might even work out a little cheaper. UK for example has regional pricing and will be £8.99. Current classic is $11.99 (£8.73), but at a more typical exchange rate of 1.3 or so you get from banks/paypal etc, it's £9.22 + possible currency conversion fees

pustal

Yeah! This is happenin'!
Trophies
Website
web.archive.org
XP
Country
Portugal
Grandfathered accounts were limited to ten games, and a few months there were 12 offered.

The number of keys won't really change, they will just know the number they will need since everyone will receive all of the games rather than some being popular and some games no one picks unless they are a premium or grandfathered account. With the change you will just get every key.

I'm granfathered in and I've been able to choose all games every month, 12 when they are 12. And I pay the Humble Monthly price.

diggeloid

Alex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There were indeed several attempts to try that model back when Humble Bundle first arrived on the scene. Many crashed and burned – Indie Royale/Desura, Bundle in a Box, and IndieGameStand come to mind. Not sure how IndieGala managed to survive as long as it has. I guess Groupees is still around, but I think they're mostly just games and comics now.
Wow you're right, I completely forgot about those. That notice on the IGS website is pretty depressing.

The problem with Humble Trove/Choice is that it's more expensive than Microsoft's PC Game Pass, and offers much less value. Even Amazon Luna is a better deal than that lol.

lordrand11

The Wheel of Time Turns and Ages Come And Pass.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Six years ago, Humble Bundle introduced a subscription service called Humble Monthly, that would provide subscribers with keys for a variety of games every month, for $12 a month. A little over two years ago, Humble Monthly was changed to Humble Choice. This new format offered ten games a month, and subscribers could choose to get keys for a number of them based on what tier they were on. At launch, the Premium tier was $19.99 a month and offered nine of the ten games.

However, starting with February's Humble Choice, it will be reverting back to a model that resembles the original one. There is only one subscription plan, which will be $11.99 a month, and subscribers will receive all the games available for that month. Strangely, there is no mention of changing the service's name from Humble Choice, despite no choice being offered in terms of games or subscription tier. Although, as always, users will always have the choice to skip a month or cancel at any time.

Also debuting in February will be the Humble Games Collection, a curated collection of games from Humble Bundle as a publisher, that users will have access to for the duration of their subscription. The service will launch with Forager, Wizard of Legend, Dodgeball Academia, Unsighted and Void Bastards, and is expected to add more titles as time goes on. Users will be able to access the Humble Games Collection in a new Humble app on Windows. It is unclear whether this will be the only way to access these games, or if the app will be making it to other platforms soon. The Humble Trove, a collection of small, DRM-free indie games, is also being renamed to the Vault, which will also be in the app.

:arrow: Source
The last two months choices have been kinda lame tbh.

ZeroFX

why?
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Humble bundle is pretty much dead, the only good thing about it was the pay what you want while giving 0% to the companies and 100% to some hungry charities. Now that became crappy and with some very sketchy charities and then there's these crappy decisions.

felindamuliadi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Ahh makes me really glad and satisfied I'm not interested in Humble Choice anymore.
Stopped subscribing since more than a year ago I think, and haven't regretted that decision since.
And the HG Collection doesn't seem to have an appeal to me personally. Guess I'll still be relying on Fanatical bundles then.

shadow1w2

Still here.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Be nice if instead they gave us store credit and subscriber only deals to use that credit on or buy any other sale going on at the time.
Better than having poeple cancel cause the selection looks crud.

They must be having problems and someone is forcing these odd decisions.
Otherwise I'd think they'd do something more creative.

Reactions: Jiehfeng

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKyNPg7UIIc