Hacking HOWTO: Tweaking the Internet Channel

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Some of the behavior of the Internet Channel can be modified by hex editing the config contained in one of the .APP files.

The .APP in question is 00000006.APP (947KB).

Items that I've seen so far are:

+ Max number of favorites

+ Disk cache size;it's limited to 2MB currently... raising it will avoid the "Out of memory" error that seems to happen mostly with excessive flash usage.

+ Filtering of "file://" directory. Disabling this would allow access to the root of the directory.

I don't know whether it's my method of packing the files or what, but the channel will boot and freeze on the home screen. Thought I'd share my findings anyway.

Mooshywooshy

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sweet :B Thanks for telling us your secrets all generous-like
tongue.gif

Rykin

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I was just thinking about this today. If a hacked version of the channel could be made, and .swf files stored on the internal Flash we could make a "flash player" channel of sorts.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm writing about it so you can do it yourself.

The config file is in plain English and doesn't require you unpack the .APP file to edit it.

Kiok

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Jamaica
Hey this way sound dumb, but wouldnt the tweak like serverly crash your wii since Wii has limit on the internet browser memory? Possibel causing it to malfunction Im just wondering...

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Kiok said:
Hey this way sound dumb, but wouldnt the tweak like serverly crash your wii since Wii has limit on the internet browser memory? Possibel causing it to malfunction Im just wondering...

The only limitation is in the config...

It's set to 2MB and can be set higher.

SkH

Trophies
XP
Country
Algeria
SleepyPrince said:
I am more interested in the file:// part
But isn't it needs like, a Wii File Manager Channel? Because if we can't access the file that has got downloaded, nor delete it, and nor copy it to the Front SD, it's useless and just takes away the precious space from the Wii, which isn't so big anyway.

Other than that, these tweaks would be awesome!!

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
SkH said:
SleepyPrince said:
I am more interested in the file:// part
But isn't it needs like, a Wii File Manager Channel? Because if we can't access the file that has got downloaded, nor delete it, and nor copy it to the Front SD, it's useless and just takes away the precious space from the Wii, which isn't so big anyway.

Other than that, these tweaks would be awesome!!

It's a filter that's built into the Opera browser. Changing one string in a .APP file doesn't take up any space.

It would effectively overwrite the default Internet Channel, but have more features.

ZeD

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I read that Opera needs to be updated anyway because BBC want to offer iPlayer on the Wii.
The current version cannot cope with it.... i believe

I havent tried it because I got rid of the Net Channel, its worthless

Richy Freeway

Trophies
XP
Country
The iPlayer is available through opera anyway, but it sucks due to the Wii only supporting Flash 7. Adobe won't release the source so Flash 9 can be built for the Wii.

teq

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Actually, I believe they've released beta source for 9.

If not, there's a C64 project for open source flash that looks promising.

mark187

Trophies
XP
Country
DavePS said:
iPlayer works on the wii now, doesn't need any update to the internet channel it was the BBC's website that needed tweakage
Though, the frame rate is shit if you play it on anything other than the tiny default size.

DavePS

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Maybe, but if you use the opera zoom to make the vid full screen its tolerable on a non plasma type telly. Certainly better than NOT being able to see the proggy if you forgot to record it

g4jek8j54

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Interesting findings. I wonder, but would it be possible to enable other 'opera:' strings, like 'opera:config', if they are filtered like the 'file://' URL? I know that 'opera:about' would show you information about your version of Opera, but I don't believe any other files work. This page has a list of some of the other URLs that people have tried in the past.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [goes back to 🛌 ] zzzzzzzzzzzzzz