Hacking [How-to] Upgrade your old3ds from 4.1-8.1 to 9.2.0-20

rigby1987

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Really Don't want to triple post but i really could do with a hint on what i should try to get this working. Thanks again

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Really Don't want to triple post but i really could do with a hint on what i should try to get this working. Thanks again
you are using a rxtools nightly build and it looks like devmode is broken in that build . . . try rxtools v2.5.2 for devmode (it was the last official build to have devmode implemented)

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you do this? I have an o3ds on 4.5 with gateway, and everything is working without cias. Is there any reason to upgrade my sysnand?

BADDINOROX99

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Why would you do this? I have an o3ds on 4.5 with gateway, and everything is working without cias. Is there any reason to upgrade my sysnand?
Because I want to coldboot directly into emunand and my other systems are on that firmware and firmware and I have had no issues since this is a new system I just bought and it came in the mail I I thought I'd use the same method I've been using since I have had no issues with it

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to boot gateway mode by simply turning on your 3ds you need 9.0 or 9.2 for this
also with cia games you don't need to worry about A Private header the system will assign a header to the game that will be unique to the system

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
to boot gateway mode by simply turning on your 3ds you need 9.0 or 9.2 for this
also with cia games you don't need to worry about A Private header the system will assign a header to the game that will be unique to the system
don't you also need rxtools to coldboot? And does that require cias? Is there a way to upgrade and coldboot, but still use .3ds instead?

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
don't you also need rxtools to coldboot?
rxtools is not needed to coldboot. theme support (9.0/9.2) & cfw is all you need (note gateway uses its own cfw (gateway mode) in order to run its hardware) . . . however it is safest to use rxtools for the update to 9.0/9.2 (it can be dangerous to use gateway to update your system)

And does that require cias?
the updates themselves come in cia form but other than that you can continue to use .3ds if you like

Is there a way to upgrade and coldboot, but still use .3ds instead?
see answers above

Last edited by wormdood,

ldeveraux

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
rxtools is not needed to coldboot. theme support (9.0/9.2) & cfw is all you need (note gateway uses its own cfw (gateway mode) in order to run its hardware) . . . however it is safest to use rxtools for the update to 9.0/9.2 (it can be dangerous to use gateway to update your system)

the updates themselves come in cia form but other than that you can continue to use .3ds if you like

see answers above
Ugh, just can't be bothered with switching. GW card and 4.5 work fine enough.

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ugh, just can't be bothered with switching. GW card and 4.5 work fine enough.
its not hard or anything if you find the time here is a guide to use rxtools to update to 9.2 (note for your goal you only need to follow the instructions on the page i linked for you not the whole guide)

TechAndrew

Untitled
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I'm doing this guide because a lot of peoples asked how to do that recently.
I won't talk about the n3ds because :
- If you have a 9.0-9.1 console, there's no point in updating to 9.2.
- If you have a 8.1J console, this method won't work, you need to have cubic ninja (or a sky3ds) and use this : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-update-3ds-8-1-to-9-x.406407/

I Setting up rxTools : Follow this guide : https://gbatemp.net/threads/easily-setup-rxtools-on-3ds-4-1-9-2.408710/
If you have a cartdridge updated, rxtools nightlies won't work on it, so you need to use rxtools 2.5.2 (and not 2.6). Instructions here : http://rxtools.net/#!howto

II. Installing sysupdater on the sysnand.

If you have a gateway :
1. Put the 3ds version of BigBlueMenu or FBI on your gateway micro-sd card.
2. Put the cia version of sysupdater on your console sd card.
3. Go to the gateway menu. (Hold L while launching it) Place the cursor over "BOOT GATEWAY MODE" and Hold B then Press A , then Press X by itself to boot to SysNAND Gateway Mode.
4. Use BigBlueMenu or FBI (destination sd) to install sysupdater.
5. Go to step III.

If you have a rxtools nightly :
1. Follow the steps in the fbi_injection/readme.txt to inject FBI on your sysnand if you haven't done it yet
2. Put the latest cia version of sysupdater on your console sd card.
3. Go to the rxtools menu (Hold L while launching rxTools) then select Advanced Options -> Pasta Mode (or devmode if you have an old nightly)
4. Use FBI (destination sd) to install sysupdater.

If you have rxtools 2.5.2 :
1. Inject FBI on your sysnand. Go to the fbi_injection folder. Copy the 'fbi_inject.app' file of your own region in the root of your sdcard.
Then from rxTools menu : Other Options->Install FBI
2. Put the latest cia versions of sysupdater and FBI on your sd card.
3. Goto the rxtools menu, select devmode.
4. Use the injected FBI to install both sysupdater and the latest FBI (destination sd for both)

III. Updating the console.

1. Download the 9.2 pack for your region on that iso site (google this : [MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions) )
2. Create an updates folder on your root sd card, copy all the cias files from the update pack in it
3. GO to the rxtools menu then select devmode/pasta mode (don't use rxmode or gw mode or you'll brick your console)
6. Launch sysupdater then follow the instructions (don't use bbm or FBI to update or you'll brick your console)

Mirror link for sysupdater : http://jheberg.net/captcha/sysupdater-03/

FYI: A certain revision of Super Smash Bros. 3DS (Cartridge with v1.0.4) includes the 9.2.0 update (the xxU browser version doesn't change though).

bluu7

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
(while setting up rxTools) cdn_firm.py won't download the firmware for me. All I get is a HTTP error. Are the servers offline or something? Is there another way to get the firmware?

Last edited by bluu7,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1