Hacking [How-to] Upgrade your old3ds from 4.1-8.1 to 9.2.0-20

Matt Jones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm doing this guide because a lot of peoples asked how to do that recently.
I won't talk about the n3ds because ninjhax (which is required for the pasta cfw) doesn't work on 8.1J, and there's is no point in upgrading a 9.0 n3ds.

Disable the firmlaunch first if you're using the ninjhax version.

1. Download and launch 3DNUS
2. Type 9.2.0-20 in title id, and your region in version (EUR, USA or JPN)
3. It will create a 9.2.0-20 folder and download a bunch of cias in it, while it's downloading, download sysupdater and put the cia version on your sd card, then create a 'updates' folder in your sdcard root.
4. After the download finished, copy all the cias files from the 9.2.0-20 folder to the updates folder
5. Start Pasta, install sysupdater.
6. Launch sysupdater then follow the instructions

PS : You can also use PBT or the rxtools devmode, but never update while in gateway mode, rxMode, cakes or any other cfw using firmlaunch or you'll likely brick your console.

Mirror link for sysupdater : http://jheberg.net/captcha/sysupdater-03/

Edit : You can't use 3DNUS anymore to download the 9.0-9.2 update, but you can find the cia pack on that iso site.
Will this work in updating my rxtools old 3ds from 4.5.10 to 9.2? Also it says to not do this will in rxmode but won't I need to get into rxmode to access the sysupdater application? Also what site is 'that iso site'?

Last edited by Matt Jones,

joemama1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Will this work in updating my rxtools old 3ds from 4.5.10 to 9.2? Also it says to not do this will in rxmode but won't I need to get into rxmode to access the sysupdater application? Also what site is 'that iso site'?

I believe this site. [Edit] I removed the link.

However, I would live confirmation that this is the right files to use.

Last edited by joemama1995,

Matt Jones

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but you are not allowed to link it (or else I would have put it directly in the OP), edit your post.
That's good and all but what about the whole don't update while in rxmode. How am I supposed to get into sysupdate without going into rxmode?

joemama1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, but you are not allowed to link it (or else I would have put it directly in the OP), edit your post.

Got it. Linked removed.

I want to update my O3DS which has 4.x (Gateway downgraded) to 9.0 or 9.2 so I can use the theme hack. Reading through this thread, there seems to be a lot of people complaining about bricking their system so I'm a little nervous.

I got the latest 4.1 sysupdate and download both 9.0 cia and 9.2 cia from the iso site. Not sure what to use or if I need additional files.

Instructions not very clear (anymore).

Should I use sysupdate 4.1 or stick with sysupdate 3 in the original post?
Should I use 9.0 or 9.2 files?
Do I need any additional files (something about 2 additional cias)?

Has someone recently successfully upgraded their O3DS from the 4.x (gateway downgraded) that can chime in?

Edit - I have Rxtools 3.0 so plan to use that.

Last edited by joemama1995,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Got it. Linked removed.

I want to update my O3DS which has 4.x (Gateway downgraded) to 9.0 or 9.2 so I can use the theme hack. Reading through this thread, there seems to be a lot of people complaining about bricking their system so I'm a little nervous.

I got the latest 4.1 sysupdate and download both 9.0 cia and 9.2 cia from the iso site. Not sure what to use or if I need additional files.

Instructions not very clear (anymore).

Should I use sysupdate 4.1 or stick with sysupdate 3 in the original post?
Should I use 9.0 or 9.2 files?
Do I need any additional files (something about 2 additional cias)?

Has someone recently successfully upgraded their O3DS from the 4.x (gateway downgraded) that can chime in?

Edit - I have Rxtools 3.0 so plan to use that.
Below is how I personally did with the O3DS. (I am not sure whether you have Gateway flashcart or not):

Back up Nand and store it safely on PC.

Install devmenu or CIA on sysnand. Using whatever mean that's most convenient (flashcart, PBT,rxTools FBI injection...)

Download sysupdater (don't use version 0.4b!!). Put sysupdater.cia on the root of SD. Install sysupdater using devmenu/cia onto the sysnand.

Download 9.0 or 9.2 firmware. Create a folder named "updates" on the root of SD. Put all 9.0 / 9.2 firmware cia files downloaded inside the "updates" folder.

Install RXtools alpha (I personally used this build. Haven't tried nightlies build for firmware-updating on an O3DS). https://github.com/roxas75/rxTools/releases . Put the " rxTools" folder and "rxtools.dat" in the zip file onto the root of SD. Also need to find firmware.bin (look up on that iso site), and put it on the root of SD.

Turn on wifi. Go on browser and clear cache and history.

Use rxtools by entering into url: launch.rxtools.net .

Wait for installation to finish. Then on rxtools menu, go to "advance settings" tab. Find devmode and launch it.

Start sysupdater. Follow instructions on screen to update. Wait and profit!

All those is based on @VerseHell instructions https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...om-4-1-8-1-to-9-2-0-20-with-pasta-cfw.389187/ .

I used sysupdater 0.3 so I stick with it. Heard 0.4.1 is good. Only avoid 0.4b!

9.0 and 9.2 is pretty much the same, so it's your pick.

The OP of that firmware thread is also here. He already added the 2 missing cia for 9.2 on that iso site, so you don't have to look for anything else.

Only make sure you download the right firmware for your region, model (O3DS vs N3DS); then you should be fine.

Last edited by tivu100,

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain
Hi, today my BOSS gave me a Old3DS firm 1.0.0-0E for i installer rxtool cfw + emunand + autoboot.

Well, I go to and ran Cooking Mana for update to 9.2 when... holy shit!! I updated to 9.2.0-0E.

I can run ninjhax 2.1, but I can't run ninjhax 1.1b for run pastacfw for install devmenu and create emunand

Last edited by Ninoh-FOX,

joemama1995

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you for the reply and detail info. I'm probably try this over the weekend. Hopefully someone will try and report back before then ;)

Below is how I personally did with the O3DS. (I am not sure whether you have Gateway flashcart or not):

Back up Nand and store it safely on PC.

Install devmenu or CIA on sysnand. Using whatever mean that's most convenient (flashcart, PBT,...)

Download sysupdater (don't use version 0.4b!!). Put sysupdater.cia on the root of SD. Install sysupdater using devmenu/cia onto the sysnand.

Download 9.0 or 9.2 firmware. Create a folder named "updates" on the root of SD. Put all 9.0 / 9.2 firmware cia files downloaded inside the "updates" folder.

Install RXtools alpha (I personally used this build. Haven't tried nightlies build on an O3DS). https://github.com/roxas75/rxTools/releases . Put the " rxTools" folder and "rxtools.dat" in the zip file onto the root of SD. Also need to find firmware.bin (look up on that iso site), and put it on the root of SD.

Turn on wifi. Go on browser and clear cache and history.

Use rxtools by entering into url: launch.rxtools.net .

Wait for installation to finish. Then on rxtools menu, go to "advance settings" tab. Find devmode and launch it.

Start sysupdater. Follow instructions on screen to update. Wait and profit!

All those is based on @VerseHell instructions https://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-...om-4-1-8-1-to-9-2-0-20-with-pasta-cfw.389187/ .

I used sysupdater 0.3 so I stick with it. Heard 0.4.1 is good. Only avoid 0.4b!

9.0 and 9.2 is pretty much the same, so it's your pick.

The OP of that firmware thread is also here. He already added the 2 missing cia for 9.2 on that iso site, so you don't have to look for anything else.

Only make sure you download the right firmware for your region, model (O3DS vs N3DS); then you should be Okay.

Conti93

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Hi, today my BOSS gave me a Old3DS firm 1.0.0-0E for i installer rxtool cfw + emunand + autoboot.

Well, I go to and ran Cooking Mana for update to 9.2 when... holy shit!! I updated to 9.2.0-0E.

I can run ninjhax 2.1, but I can't run ninjhax 1.1b for run pastacfw for install devmenu and create emunand
How did you load Ninjhax without browser?

Ninoh-FOX

Otaku Gamer!!
Trophies
Website
colorslive.com
XP
Country
Spain
I finally can install devmenu in old 9.2.0-0... Apocaliptic, i used ninjhax for 9.2.0-13, with decript9wip extracted nand and fat16.nand. I inject fbi v0 and created manually emunand partition, inject modnand (Fbi), used autohomehax+cakescfw99 and finally i can install devmenu and update emunand to 10.1.0-27E, fuck yeah!!!

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-