Hacking [How-to] Upgrade your old3ds from 4.1-8.1 to 9.2.0-20

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
I'm doing this guide because a lot of peoples asked how to do that recently.
I won't talk about the n3ds because :
- If you have a 9.0-9.1 console, there's no point in updating to 9.2.
- If you have a 8.1J console, this method won't work, you need to have cubic ninja (or a sky3ds) and use this : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-update-3ds-8-1-to-9-x.406407/

I Setting up rxTools : Follow this guide : https://gbatemp.net/threads/easily-setup-rxtools-on-3ds-4-1-9-2.408710/
If you have a cartdridge updated, rxtools nightlies won't work on it, so you need to use rxtools 2.5.2 (and not 2.6). Instructions here : http://rxtools.net/#!howto

II. Installing sysupdater on the sysnand.

If you have a gateway :
1. Put the 3ds version of BigBlueMenu or FBI on your gateway micro-sd card.
2. Put the cia version of sysupdater on your console sd card.
3. Go to the gateway menu. (Hold L while launching it) Place the cursor over "BOOT GATEWAY MODE" and Hold B then Press A , then Press X by itself to boot to SysNAND Gateway Mode.
4. Use BigBlueMenu or FBI (destination sd) to install sysupdater.
5. Go to step III.

If you have a rxtools nightly :
1. Follow the steps in the fbi_injection/readme.txt to inject FBI on your sysnand if you haven't done it yet
2. Put the latest cia version of sysupdater on your console sd card.
3. Go to the rxtools menu (Hold L while launching rxTools) then select Advanced Options -> Pasta Mode (or devmode if you have an old nightly)
4. Use FBI (destination sd) to install sysupdater.

If you have rxtools 2.5.2 :
1. Inject FBI on your sysnand. Go to the fbi_injection folder. Copy the 'fbi_inject.app' file of your own region in the root of your sdcard.
Then from rxTools menu : Other Options->Install FBI
2. Put the latest cia versions of sysupdater and FBI on your sd card.
3. Goto the rxtools menu, select devmode.
4. Use the injected FBI to install both sysupdater and the latest FBI (destination sd for both)

III. Updating the console.

1. Download the 9.2 pack for your region on that iso site (google this : [MEGA] [CIA/BIN] MSET 4.X & 6.X backups, Browser backups, Update packs (All Regions) )
2. Create an updates folder on your root sd card, copy all the cias files from the update pack in it
3. GO to the rxtools menu then select devmode/pasta mode (don't use rxmode or gw mode or you'll brick your console)
6. Launch sysupdater then follow the instructions (don't use bbm or FBI to update or you'll brick your console)

Mirror link for sysupdater : http://jheberg.net/captcha/sysupdater-03/

Last edited by VerseHell,

Stoned

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm doing this guide because a lot of peoples asked how to do that recently.
I won't talk about the n3ds because ninjhax (which is required for the pasta cfw) doesn't work on 8.1J, and there's is no point in upgrading a 9.0 n3ds.

1. Download and launch 3DNUS
2. Type 9.2.0-20 in title id, and your region in version (EUR, USA or JPN)
3. It will create a 9.2.0-20 folder and download a bunch of cias in it, while it's downloading, download sysupdater and put the cia version on your sd card, then create a 'updates' folder in your sdcard root.
4. After the download finished, copy all the cias files from the 9.2.0-20 folder to the updates folder
5. Start Pasta, install sysupdater.
6. Launch sysupdater then follow the instructions

PS : If you're on 4.X,you xan also use PBT insteas of Pasta, but never upgrade while in gateway mode or you'll likely brick your console.

Nope. :P
It Install whit this Setup 9.0.0-20E/U/J :P

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Did you read my post until the end. It's even written on the sysupdater readme. Never update your sysnand inside gateway mode.
You never said Gateway mode inside of sysNAND. Also, how the heck am I supposed to know what the readme of sysupdater says? This is all new to me.

So what can one do if they have a Gateway and don't wish to buy Cubic Ninja?

Reactions: Margen67

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
That's what I said, don't use the gateway to do that, or you'll brick your console. You can either use the pbt or the pasta cfw depending on which firmware you have.

Reactions: Margen67

Keylogger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
France

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You never said Gateway mode inside of sysNAND. Also, how the heck am I supposed to know what the readme of sysupdater says? This is all new to me.

So what can one do if they have a Gateway and don't wish to buy Cubic Ninja?

Well it should be obvious, that I'm talking about sysnand. And you don't even have to read the readme (which you normally should), it's written on the sysupdater page :

IMPORTANT: Don't run this in sysNAND Gateway mode or it will brick!

If you wan't to upgrade your sysnand to 9.2 and don't have CN your only way is to downgrade your console to 4.X, install the pbt-cfw then use it with sysupdater.

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
United States
Well it should be obvious, that I'm talking about sysnand. And you don't even have to read the readme (which you normally should), it's written on the sysupdater page :

If you wan't to upgrade your sysnand to 9.2 and don't have CN your only way is to downgrade your console to 4.X, install the pbt-cfw then use it with sysupdater.

Sorry, I was being lazy and my ISP is capping my internet now so I didn't want to download anything before getting confirmation. Thanks for all your help! :)

Edit: Here they seem to think it's possible with a older launcher.dat.

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Yes it will. :)
And you don't have to use sysupdater to update your rednand/emunand, just copy the cia folder in your sdcard then use the "import all cias" bbm option.

Reactions: 3dslove79

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: